The Twilight Zone

Siliconemelons

the outer limits or whatever one it was that had nudity was the best because they didn't restrict their stories etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The original versions didn’t have much of a moral either. In both instances, they save everyone, but they are punished as crazy...although in those instances, there was some physical evidence (destroyed engine).
However, THIS version if he had done nothing then everything would have been fine. I prefer Treehouse of Horror's "Terror at 5-1/2 feet" over this one for sure.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Twilight zone original had twists all over the place in some episodes. From little robots terrorizing what you thought was a human being turning out the little robots were us, to third one from the sun and people escaping the planet were actually fleeing to earth instead. From three astronauts thinking they crashed on an asteroid and it ended up being earth. To bank robbers who froze themselves in time for a hundred years with their gold, only to all die a hundred years later and knowing at the end gold wasn’t worth anything anymore so they did it for nothing.

Not sure what show you were watching. Now granted not all of them were like that, but the old show had plenty of holy shit twist moments.

I think the robots was an Outer Limits, not a zone. I feel like this argument has happened before:

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Honestly the 2nd episode wasn't the worst...but I got completely drawn out of the storyline when the journalist "discovered" the PIN to get into the *pilot cabin* was the same as the flight number. Come on now. How can you have the first 5 minutes of the episode be TSA++ and then make the PIN entry to the cockpit cabin be a 4 digit code that just so happens to be your flight number? That's just lazy writing.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think the robots was an Outer Limits, not a zone. I feel like this argument has happened before:

The film's versions of It's a Good Life and Kick the Can are both pretty good. There were a period of time where quite a few anthology horror films got made even though the structure is often a bit hokey. Tales from the Crypt ended up taking the premise of Creepshow and Twilight Zone the Movie (bring in talented people to each do one story) and really run with it.

Cybsled

Outer limits from 90s were good, but every ending usually fell into a) we’re all fucked b) we’re still fucked but slightly less fucked. Sometimes it involved literal fucking lol

I remember the doomsday weapon vault one where 7 countries had vaults where the person had to press a button every day or every nuke/chem/bio weapon would destroy the world and render it unusable for aliens. All the bunkers fall to the aliens or tech issues, leaving just the American one. American is out of water/food and his commander appears on the TV and tells him they beat the aliens and need him to keep pressing the button until they can deactivate the doomsday weapon. Then the TV shuts off and we see the commander has some alien creature controlling him like a puppet and then rips itself out of his body and in the commander's death throes, he pulls down a curtain which reveals Washington, DC has been almost completely flattened by the aliens, indicating they won.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Outer limits from 90s were good, but every ending usually fell into a) we’re all fucked b) we’re still fucked but slightly less fucked. Sometimes it involved literal fucking lol
Another great episode was "The Light Brigade" (or something, too lazy to look it up). They actually had several episodes that take place in that universe. IIRC, Earth is at war with an alien species and the war is going badly. Very depressing from what I remember. But great! Highly recommend.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, they had some sequel episodes. The Light Brigade was one. That old time travel dude was another. The time travel dude ones were some of the few that had happy/good guys win endings. Like the Nazi war criminal getting teleported back to Auchwitz at the end, being put in a prisoner outfit, and he his executed by his younger self. Or the girl fated to die gets teleported to the future moments before she dies and gets to become a time cop.

I just remembered another episode that sticks out called The Balance. It is in the future and these aliens that look like raptors have a teleportation technology...sorta. Basically it does a scan of you and makes a perfect copy of you on the other end (ie, another planet far away). Once the other copy is confirmed viable, the original is disintigrated. Ergo the balance. Episode involves a woman that is going to visit the raptor planet, but they can't get confirmation that the copy was viable, so they abort the kill the original part of it. However, later they confirm the copy is viable and the raptor aliens tell the human tech that he needs to maintain the balance (ie, there can't be 2 of the person). You can guess what direction the episode takes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
The Twilight Zone
Nightmare at 30,000 Feet
Season: 1
Episode: 2
Air date: 2019-03-31

Guest stars: Adam Scott
A journalist listens to a podcast detailing how the plane on which he's a passenger will disappear.

i guess i completely interpreted the 2nd episode entirely differently. i thought Joe was a figment of the journalists imagination and he was doing all the stuff that he saw Joe doing. no one else seemed to react to Joe. So that meant that the journalist was the one that went into the cockpit and the entire crew saw him crash the plane intentionally. they mentioned that everyone on the plane was accounted for except for the journalist but the people on the plane clearly saw "Joe" bludgeoning the pilots wouldn't they have killed him as well? They also mention in the beginning the journalist had a psychiatric break before, i took this as just him completely breaking down, its likely he imagined the podcast, and Joe it doesn't explain how he knew the code to get into the front cabin but it explains the rest of the episode.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think the robots was an Outer Limits, not a zone. I feel like this argument has happened before

It wasn’t.

And neither were the other awesome twists. Trust me I’m probably the biggest twilight zone fan in this place. Most of outer limits (middle 60’s, and others going after) were cut twilight zone concepts/scripts or repeats of the same concept.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't even get the point of the episode. What did the guy do wrong to deserve getting lynched? Rather, if I was listening to a podcast that gave details exactly as they were playing out, I'd be convinced too that some supernatural force was trying to get me to prevent the impending catastrophe. So what the hell was the moral of the story?
What he did wrong to deserve getting lynched was crash the plane that killed everybody. His buddy Joe wasn't real; he was like a Tyler Durden character. The podcast he was listening to was just his own self-fulfilling prophecy playing out in his warped mind. The theme, moral, or point of the story is, like this episodes predecessors, a man losing his grip on reality on a plane. The island scene at the end was just a metaphysical hell of sorts, with his innocent victims of the plane getting revenge on the main character for killing them.

The "journey" is what's cool about this episode because it's a creative way to show how a batshit crazy dude is absolutely convinced that he's doing the right thing by taking over the plane (in his head he thinks he's saving these people from this impending doom that only he's privy to) but because he's batshit crazy and he's NOT a pilot and can't fly a plane he's the cause of the crash LoL.... see, that's the twist.

I'm enjoying watching these! It seems I'm in the minority on this board that likes this new generation of TTZ tho.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The "journey" is what's cool about this episode because it's a creative way to show how a batshit crazy dude is absolutely convinced that he's doing the right thing by taking over the plane (in his head he thinks he's saving these people from this impending doom that only he's privy to) but because he's batshit crazy and he's NOT a pilot and can't fly a plane he's the cause of the crash LoL.... see, that's the twist.

Sorry, but that's awful.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Sorry, but that's awful.
Versus what, a THIRD retelling with a gremlin on a wing? Been there; done that. Twice now.

Sure I'd rather they do something brand new theme-wise instead of borrowing from the playbook of generations ago, no doubt about it; but if you're going to remake the 20,000 feet scenario yet again, I at least applaud them for trying something different in the narrative. It puts a nuanced focus on the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" idea.

When you think about it, the gremlin is just the nagging insanity of the character of impending doom. In this third iteration it just takes the form of a podcast instead of an actual creature out on the wing. What's your primary gripe over this episode?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's my point. To quit remaking previous episodes (many times over) and think of something original.

Black Mirror has been doing this with technology twists and the stories are amazing.

The lack of creativity with anything these days is in the toilet, so expectations were low anyway... But others can do it (Black Mirror specifically) so a "Powerhouse" like CBS should be able to do it as well with creative writing.

Here not only do we have shit writing and a rehashed set piece, we also have a public network forcing this garbage to their garbage streaming service in which we get double singed if we want to watch legally.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Oh then on that we agree, yeah... I'd definitely prefer originality over riding the classics coattails.

Where we disagree I suppose is that I thought they WERE creative in re-spinning this story and bringing it into modern day times.

I'm also with you with them making this only CBS All Access... lame as shit. Pay-per-view TV? No thx.

• 1Like

Jasker

Brown officer title, just like Kaige
The only reasoning I can come up with that they all accessed this was the duration. First episode was like 55 minutes and second was 35? Uneven run times making it difficult to slot into an hour? They got Jordan Peele the hottest guy in show biz and they don’t prime time this... Gotta be duration issues with the presented narratives.

Naxi Qayreon

Trakanon Raider
Which is sloppy. Just because it's online and not subject to a specific run time doesn't mean the episode is better. Without a time framework, the writers and production can be lazy and not tighten up the story. Instead we get episode 1 which is way too long and beats us over the head with the story more than it needs to. If a good story needs to be longer, they can do a 2-parter etc.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The only reasoning I can come up with that they all accessed this was the duration. First episode was like 55 minutes and second was 35? Uneven run times making it difficult to slot into an hour? They got Jordan Peele the hottest guy in show biz and they don’t prime time this... Gotta be duration issues with the presented narratives.

Yeah this same thing happened with Rod Serling in Season 4 back in the day when CBS forced him to move to a 1 hour time slot to cover some other shit show that bombed and they wanted to retain ratings. It damned near destroyed the show because the entire premise was based around 30 minute time slot short stories. CBS has it's head up their ass.

Which we all knew anyway.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah this same thing happened with Rod Serling in Season 4 back in the day when CBS forced him to move to a 1 hour time slot to cover some other shit show that bombed and they wanted to retain ratings. It damned near destroyed the show because the entire premise was based around 30 minute time slot short stories. CBS has it's head up their ass.

Which we all knew anyway.
they also forced him to do one hour LIVE broadcasts of episodes they already did. thats why there are two "room for one more" TZ episodes.

• 1Like