The Walking Dead

Cybsled

Deer can evade zombies just fine in the short term and it's not like they are going extinct. On the flip side, though, deer populations wouldn't explode because there still is a predator that will kill them and they will also avoid zombie infested areas if possible (which is where people will be going to get supplies/etc).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dunno man, the deer population in jersey has been exploding for the last 20 years. maybe they have lots of cougars or wildcats hunting deer down in georgia, but something tells me that even with an explosion of cougars, the deer population would still be exploding. zombies cant catch a deer. seriously have you ever heard of a deer being killed by a bunch of guys running after it and using their bare hands to take it down? i dont think i ever saw les stroud pulling that one off.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Deer population would only explode as long as the wolf population was still recovering, shit would balance out. And zombies would be no kind of predator for anything but the most sickly deer, don't be stupid. The stamina argument works based on dogged pursuit by intelligent beings that can track them. A deer running for 20 seconds would be basically vanished to whatever zombie initially went after it.

Example of just how quickly the wolves(and other real predators) would balance outthe deer population.

edit: And, obviously, posting that video link is the only reason I actually responded=P

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think it is more than plausible, society goes to shit quick in the wake of a disaster.
Cept of course real disaster keep proving that people band together like crazy rather than turn on each other and why governments like to create crisis distract ppl from domestic problems.

Oldbased

> Than U
Something to keep in mind Grim would be deer wouldn't attack walkers and would run, Wolves on the other hand would probably be drawn to them ( meaning death as a wolf wouldn't know to kill the brain ).
In fact thinking of it, undead would be more destructive to aggressive animals than humans are now. The perfect animal killers. Even sharks would be semi fucked.

Oldbased

> Than U
Great, thanks. Now you got me envisioning zombies walking around with vultures sitting on their head pecking away.

Goatface

didn't they address this? something like they were toxic to birds and animals. could have been another undead mythos

Cybsled

If the flesh was toxic, then they are useless to animals. Besides, wolves would probably stay the fuck away from them if that were the case.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cept of course real disaster keep proving that people band together like crazy rather than turn on each other and why governments like to create crisis distract ppl from domestic problems.
People band together? Yeah, criminals band together. After every major hurricane there is looting, just sometimes it is more widespread than others. Remember 9 years ago hurricane katrina? There was no law and order for just a couple of days and new orleans became a complete shit show. Criminals actually thought it was their city to keep. There was looting, murder, rape. Bodies were left on sidewalks/the road. Buildings were burned down. They were unable to evacuate ppl from charity hospital because criminals were firing at the helicopter for no reason other than they could because they thought the city was theirs to keep.

There is a vast difference between something like a tornado, or an attack on a very small area like 9/11, which typically only effects a very small community so the community around it pulls together; law and order is left unaffected. Those are in no way comparable to something like a hurricane katrina or, in the case of twd, a zombie apocalypse, which has left society with no law enforcement for 18 months and seemingly no return to law and order, ever. If you don't think the world would be at least just as brutal as it is in twd then you have put too much faith in humanity.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
i dunno man, the deer population in jersey has been exploding for the last 20 years. maybe they have lots of cougars or wildcats hunting deer down in georgia, but something tells me that even with an explosion of cougars, the deer population would still be exploding. zombies cant catch a deer. seriously have you ever heard of a deer being killed by a bunch of guys running after it and using their bare hands to take it down? i dont think i ever saw les stroud pulling that one off.
If you are speaking in terms of the Survivor Man premise, Les wouldn't do something that stupid as he would have to spend a shit ton of calories, time, and will travel a great distance from his shelter in attempt to bag one deer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
People band together? Yeah, criminals band together. After every major hurricane there is looting, just sometimes it is more widespread than others. Remember 9 years ago hurricane katrina? There was no law and order for just a couple of days and new orleans became a complete shit show. Criminals actually thought it was their city to keep. There was looting, murder, rape. Bodies were left on sidewalks/the road. Buildings were burned down. They were unable to evacuate ppl from charity hospital because criminals were firing at the helicopter for no reason other than they could because they thought the city was theirs to keep.

There is a vast difference between something like a tornado, or an attack on a very small area like 9/11, which typically only effects a very small community so the community around it pulls together; law and order is left unaffected. Those are in no way comparable to something like a hurricane katrina or, in the case of twd, a zombie apocalypse, which has left society with no law enforcement for 18 months and seemingly no return to law and order, ever. If you don't think the world would be at least just as brutal as it is in twd then you have put too much faith in humanity.
I agree. There are shitty people out there that are just dying to come out and do exactly what you say. Also youre forgetting the one thing that would make any man violent against another, hunger. A basic instinct on such a deep level and none of us ever experienced this to such an extreme extent.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Am I the only one who didn't like the episode? I said it last season, right after it the finale, that right when they were going to be killed for BBQ, a zombie invasion would conveniently happen.

Personally, I thought it was the worst episode over the last year.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well the zombie invasion wasn't convenient, it was bound to happen with all of the shooting going on while they were herding Rick and co. What was convenient was they only sent one man out with fireworks to then lure the zombies away. It seems it was very vital they do that, why did they send one lone man?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If the virus spread as fast as they said it did then there should be an absolute ton of food for them to consume, including canned meat. Nobody would be starving in a zombie apocalypse except the stupid.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
If the virus spread as fast as they said it did then there should be an absolute ton of food for them to consume, including canned meat. Nobody would be starving in a zombie apocalypse except the stupid, unarmed, out numbered, etc.
FTFY, and since we were just talking about law enforcement, guess who would be at the top of the food chain. The virus spread fast relatively, sure, but Rick was in a coma for about 6 weeks guesstimates say, you don't think grocery stores would have been long emptied in 6, even 4, weeks?, with most of it lock and key behind law enforcement arms. Grocery stores run out of bread and water in advance of a category 1 hurricane coming their way, if there were no new deliveries in 4 weeks you better believe food will be scarce. And besides grocery stores just how many canned goods do you think ppl store? Unless you're a prepper you're not keeping 4 weeks of canned goods in your home.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Well the zombie invasion wasn't convenient, it was bound to happen with all of the shooting going on while they were herding Rick and co. What was convenient was they only sent one man out with fireworks to then lure the zombies away. It seems it was very vital they do that, why did they send one lone man?
Didn't that guy say we all had to set our fireworks off at the same time to lure them away?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't that guy say we all had to set our fireworks off at the same time to lure them away?
Maybe so, but then it also seems weird the other ppl who were supposed to light fireworks in other areas didn't check to see why the one guy stopped radio contact. I chalked up Gareth not going to check on him because it was dangerous to go out, but if other men were already out in the area it seems they should have checked on him to light the fireworks before their compound was overrun.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
FTFY, and since we were just talking about law enforcement, guess who would be at the top of the food chain. The virus spread fast relatively, sure, but Rick was in a coma for about 6 weeks guesstimates say, you don't think grocery stores would have been long emptied in 6, even 4, weeks?, with most of it lock and key behind law enforcement arms. Grocery stores run out of bread and water in advance of a category 1 hurricane coming their way, if there were no new deliveries in 4 weeks you better believe food will be scarce. And besides grocery stores just how many canned goods do you think ppl store? Unless you're a prepper you're not keeping 4 weeks of canned goods in your home.
It's ok dude. You want to eat people. We get it.