The Walking Dead

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
with no livestock/hunting/industrial farming they would need farmland the size of of football field per person.
Wow I should let my vegetarian neighbors who literally grow everything in their backyard/frontyard that they eat throughout the year (They have a greenhouse as well) that they are supposed to have 80x's that because according to you they shouldn't be surviving.

Cybsled

Veggie eaters still need protein, things like beans/rice/nuts/etc. I somehow doubt they are growing that as well. Plus they have access to reliable power I'm sure, which helps if they are doing hydroponics.

I knew a guy who lived off grid and had his own power (wind and solar) and greenhouse...but he sure as hell still bought drygoods like rice and pasta.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They grow their own beans, they always try to pawn a bunch of them off on me. Mostly shelling beans. they don't do green as far as I know.

And yeah they have power but a normal green house in southern Georgia (like in this show) would be the equivalent to their heated green house they use through the winter.

I'm not saying these people aren't crazy or anything because they are. In terms of strictly nutritional needs they only eat what they grow. They have Apple, Pear and Cheery trees as well along with some grape vines. Some new neighbors moved in a dew houses down and they two families got locked in a legal battle over if the hippies should be allowed to basically farm in their front yard. They have no water system set up, they just use their outside hose to fill watering jugs and pretty much tend their stuff all day long.

They also have this arc thing (best way I can describe it, looks like a mini noahs arc) that has some chickens in it. -shrug- they seem to do well and I know for a fact they only eat what comes from their property. -shrugs-

Anyway, my argument was you don't need a football field per person.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You do need quite a bit of water too, even with a stream nearby you still need to lug in all that through the zombiefield. How many people are in rick's group now? 30? 40? Thats a lot of water lugging if you figure each person consumes,about a gallon a day?

Goatface

how big is their property? i know a lot of stuff you can cheat and pretty much double/triple up on, but tossing in trees that is some real estate.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Agreed on the water Astro, but they had made mention about digging out the stream to reroute it into the yard so if they did that it would solve a lot of those issues. My biggest concern with it would be is a Walker died upstream...would that taint their water and kill them? I'm not sure how that works since they all have the virus in them already but some how only manager to turn if bitten. (always seemed like a pretty dumb thing to me)

@Goatface, it's normal suburb sized lot. Probably around half an acre total thats plantable. And yeah their stuff is balls to the wall and in some places they have vertical stacked boxes. Like I said before, a well planned garden (And theirs is pretty ridiculous) can hold a lot.

They also rely on natural means to maintain their soils health, everything from ashes from their woodburner stove to compost and such.

The characters in Walking Dead are retarded though, pretty much my whole example now that I think about is pretty void now that I really think about who we're talking about. lol

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The zombies in twd are not traditional zombies. They arent infected with the t-virus. They are just germy. Basically walking rusty nails. Andrea died from sepsis not zombie venom.

As to the water, that sounds like a good plan, too bad we never got to see any of that. Looked like they were chugging bottled water. Also when your neighbors planted their garden, did they plant once and then forget about them? My gramps grew tomatoes and also grapes for making wine. He was in his garden every day.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought Andrea died from a bullet to the brain (allegedly).

Also, TWD characters aren't exactly busy. It's not like they've gotta go to work or anything. Plenty of time to tend to a garden and/or farm.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah andrea got killed by offscreen bullets, but that occurred because she got bit and was being infected internally and would have eventually died then turned into a zombie

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Yeah offscreen bullet from a revolver that somehow ejects its shell after firing so it can clink on an offscreen floor for added effect.

Cybsled

The explanation is simple. After they closed the door, Rick said "Lol the gun is empty, you honestly think I'd let you take this chance from me?" and he domes her with a handgun.

Godric_sl

shitlord
I gotta agree with others too. Andrea sitting there just wasting time talking was stupid. It's like, either focus on the tool or multi-task and do both. Instead, we have Milton sacraficing his own life for Andrea, and Andrea repays him by wasting her time getting free and then getting bit. I bet Milton was sitting there dying thinking, "I should have just stabbed this dumb ***** in the chest."

Another problem with this ending is, we spent SOOO much time this season following the stories of Milton and Andrea, and for what? What did they even do that affected anything? In the end, what was the point of it all? Watching Andrea this whole season was pretty much pointless now. She had no influence on any outcome of the show. You could have killed her at the end of last season and you could have had this season play out just the same only you'd have more time for other storylines. You know, they could of had Tyrese save her and use Andrea to sort of tie everyone together. Instead we followed Andrea for an entire season so that we could have some random chick from Woodbury be the one that ties the Rick and Tyrese storylines together. Which leads me to.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Maybe andrea will have shot herself in the wrong part of the brain and show up next season as a chair zombie on wheels.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you want to go as far as to say what the point of the Andrea/Milton storyline was then what was the point of this entire season really? In the end they have a human threat looming still, are still living in the prison and everyone is pretty much the same except for the few killed-off characters.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
1) The Colony was fucking dumb, and I wish that FOH was still around so that I could prove that we all called Asstr0chunk stupid back then too. And if you take that guy's word on anything being good, you deserve what you get (I'm looking at you, Dabamf).

2) Of course they'd be thinner and a lot leaner after a year of foraging, but you're not gonna get 20 people paid to do a TV show to starve themselves to simulate their lack of caloric intake just for your own enjoyment. Hell, none of you enjoy the show anyway, so that'd just be a complete waste of time.

I have absolutely no doubts, though, that if the population is as decimated as it looks, that there would be plenty of scavengeable goods for quite awhile.

Goatface

the outbreak was going on for around 2 weeks before it went to total hell. most homes and stores don't have enough supplies to last 5 days.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
the outbreak was going on for around 2 weeks before it went to total hell. most homes and stores don't have enough supplies to last 5 days.
The outbreak was going on for as long as it takes an IV bag to run out and then a man to die with no hydration. If that's the route you wanna go, then Rick Grimes doesn't even exist in your world, and you're splitting hairs about food supply?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
1) The Colony was fucking dumb, and I wish that FOH was still around so that I could prove that we all called Asstr0chunk stupid back then too. And if you take that guy's word on anything being good, you deserve what you get (I'm looking at you, Dabamf).
Astrocreep's been on ignore for a while now. Other people mentioned it. But yea, it's flat out unwatchable.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Astrocreep's been on ignore for a while now. Other people mentioned it. But yea, it's flat out unwatchable.
What's unwatchable about "Well, all we have between the 14 of us is this can of beans for tonight. Better get started on putting together that solar powered windmill!"?

That show was exactly the same as the walking dead. If the people weren't so fucking stupid, it wouldn't even be worth filming. Maybe TWD is closer to reality than you all think.