The Walking Dead

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The only "bad choice" you can make where you die is where you don't shoot the zombies in the head when they come at you. Or where you don't see that you need to pick up the screwdriver to stab them in the eye.

There are no other "bad choices" you can make. Every choice leads to the same outcome.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah it all leads to the same ending, only thing that will be slightly different will be dialog you have with characters at the end.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dont agree with the choices dont matter argument that people have. While I understand that none of the choices you make will change the outcome at the end, the entire playthrough is molded to the way you have chosen.

Ill be general to avoid spoilers.

In some scenes you can choose to save person A or save person B. I chose B. Now that Ive done that Ive had meaningful dialogue with person B and had some interesting encounters with person B. If you choose A your story becomes completely different. Now while the end result is that they will both die eventually, it still didnt change the fact that I was able to choose who I shared my story with.

Now if the game was presented with save person A or save person B, but no matter who you picked Person B never lives, then I would agree with people, but thats not the case in this game for the most part.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Now if the game was presented with save person A or save person B, but no matter who you picked Person B never lives, then I would agree with people, but thats not the case in this game for the most part.
That's entirely the case. There's no way to save

Herschel's kid, and Carly always dies too (didn't bother seeing if the fat guy also died). Also, no matter what you choose, Kenny is throwing a brick on Larry's skull.

There are literally no outcomes that change at all. At best MAYBE a line of dialogue.

I don't know what game you people are playing where you think there are any differences in the choices you make, because I've played through parts 1-3 multiple times, and that's not the case, and just from how shit unfolded in episode 5, I can guarantee you that nothing you choose in 4 will make any difference either.

Golt_sl

shitlord
Cutlery's right in that there are things that happen no matter what you choose, certain outcomes are unavoidable. There's a like 6? major decisions at the end of each episode, and most of them change dialogue but not the ending to that episode. Things that do change though Cutlery (just for example):
Choosing Carley/Doug in the first episode brings Doug or Carley along instead, Doug does still die though just like Carley dying is inevitable - also Ben during episode 4 where you can haul him up the watch tower or not.. I dropped him, but if you don't he survives with your group awhile longer.

At any rate, I've played through it multiple times and it was worth it, first playthrough was definitely the best though.

Aak_sl

shitlord
The storytelling and the writing are good. Characters are mostly interesting and well done, even if it is a horror movie, with some of the usual clich?s. It is definitely an interactive movie, in which you are only one character.

The choice are also very binary. You can side with one character or the other. Save one or the other. Your freedom is quite limited and your actions' impact does not last very long. Mostly because, whoever you side with or manage to save, they are probably going to die a gruesome death soon after anyway. The story is brutal like that. It was a cheap way for the writers to limit the number of possible story branches, I guess.

If you don't metagame it too much and just enjoy the ride, I think it is a very good interactive movie. They use this medium very well and manage to build a story that got me much more interested than the TV show and probably even the comic book.
If you can't help yourself, it is a little too obvious that you have no freedom and very little impact on the story. Depends on what kind of gamer you are.

Ruin_sl

shitlord
I bought this in the steam sale... Holy crap chapter 4-5 fingered my emotion hole like a German double fisting.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
I really enjoy this game. If you know that you're not a fan of adventure gaming, or a game focused on story/decision making over headshots than look elsewhere. To each their own really, it's not like there is a scarcity of zombie shooters out there. L4D, No More Room in Hell, Nation Red, and Deadlight all offer unique zombie-slaying gameplay. I've been a fan of Gary Whitta (PC Gamer mag when it wasn't shit, Book of Eli) for a while and the story, to me, hasn't disappointed. If you've been stomaching season 3 of the show, this will seem like Faulkner.

Season 3 ?
rrr_img_7767.jpg

zombie wrastlin'....

Neph_sl

shitlord
Picked this up awhile ago during a Steam sale, but never got around to playing it until this week. Holy shit I've never been so emotionally ripped apart by any media. I don't care if most of the decisions are superficial...

I couldn't have Clementine shoot Lee at the end. She shot a living guy in the head, Lee had to bath her in entrails to get through a horde of zombies, and then she was attacked while her guardian is dying. That shit was horrifying and I didn't want that little girl to be any more traumatized.

Seriously, amazing game, but also fuck it for breaking me down over those choices. I'm gonna sleep like shit tonight.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just finished it recently as well. Very amazing game. Shows what good writing can do for the source instead of the shit we see on the TV show.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yep just beat it as well. I loved it.

P.s. i hate the show show.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My save game got fucked up or something and it forced me to start over after going through the first 3 episodes. I haven't found the motivation to pick it back up yet.

It feels strange that the only time I came close to crying was:

when you find the boat in Chapter 4. Right before that you just feel so hopeless and the buildup as you go downstairs with that music playing. Piece of shit Ben can't do anything right, Kenny has no reason to live anymore, some psycho fuck is targeting Clementine and shes gone missing. When the shed door starts banging you prepare yourself mentally for the situation to spiral even further downward and then boom: that little angel pops out with that smile on her face says "Look what I found!", you look off-camera and think "Its a fucking boat, my god you beautiful bastards its a fucking boat." and there it is. Then Kenny comes out and you see the hope in his eyes and its like "You and me both."

Speaking of Kenny that's just like one of the best character dynamics between him and Lee at least in my game since we fucking hated each other. He left Lee to die so many times that in real life I despised him. After the train though when I kicked his ass it was like "Fuck you Ken, I need you, you need me, we're in this together whether you like it or not." Then it was just about survival and unspoken respect. Despite everyone else who tagged along it felt like only the two of them pulling together against everything, against a world keeping them alive just so it could torture and kill everything they loved until they lost the will to continue.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
My save game got fucked up or something and it forced me to start over after going through the first 3 episodes. I haven't found the motivation to pick it back up yet.
This is where I'm at too. I really pissed me off as well because I was really into it.

Anyone know if that issue for PC ever got fixed? I'd love to play the game but not if I risk playing for 3 hours and losing everything again.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Loved it.even though you don't do much (just click ahah),the story,action,dialogues,voice acting are great.and has gore
biggrin.png

worth buying for sure

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Man people said this game was good, I had no idea how good though. This is the best game I've played in years, better than the first two mass effects (haven't played the third yet).

Walking Clemintine through her first zombie kill, and seeing it almost go to fuck. Telling her the most important things you think you can tell her with your last dying breaths. The whole story I'm trying to tread this line with her, to teach her survival skills and make her emotionally strong, but trying to make sure the entire time that I keep hope embeded into her, so she doesn't give up after I've slowly pulled her out of her innocence. But I was mostly happy with the options I was given, and totally expected a sit down at the end to attempt to rationalize my actions.
I fucking loved that part
"You stole all my shit, and gave my sons jacket to her"
me: "It was cold, and we were starving"
" you ruined my life...blah blah blah"
me: "You fucked up."

Still I remember raiding that car and saying I wish that they'd given me the option to only take half the supplies from the car, and having to automatically delegate responsibility to Ben when I would never have given him any responsibilities if I had the option. Of course I had to wait an entire chapter before I could kill Larry, when had I been given the opportunity I'd have buried the hatchet (not a figure of speech) with him, the minute after he tried to kill me, like Rick did early in the third season.

Top 5 game I've played in the last five years

Troll_sl

shitlord
This is where I'm at too. I really pissed me off as well because I was really into it.

Anyone know if that issue for PC ever got fixed? I'd love to play the game but not if I risk playing for 3 hours and losing everything again.
I really want to play it, too, but the same thing happened.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You could probably skip the dialog and beat the entire game in like 1.5 hours. I wouldn't imagine it would take too long to get back to where the save corrupted.