The Wine Thread

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
As tenks said, boxed wines offer far more value than bottles in comparison to quality. And they stay drinkable a lot longer too. Plus you can take the bladder out when you go river tubing and just throw it back and forth to all your friends since it floats.
You've lost all credibility. A bottle of wine will float just as well as a plastic bladder!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Noodle just ignore whites and stick to reds.
I agree with this. White wine is for women and homos that just want something that is super sweet and doesn't stain their teeth. Real wine is red.

The advice has already been given but the best thing to do if you can is to go wine tasting. I don't know where you live but if you have a wine producing area near you that is by far the best way to find out what you like.

Don't get too carried away with the sniffing and pretending you can taste tobacco and blackberries and shit. It's been proven over and over that the fancy wine snobs can't actually tell the difference between wines if you take the labels off. There is bad wine out there, and it is mainly the super big places that make it (Sutter Home, Barefoot, that Kangaroo one from Australia, etc) but there is plenty of good wine for $8-12 a bottle and I personally won't pay more than that after having been wine tasting in Napa and various other places in California at least 25 times. The $20+ wine you can be pretty confident that it won't suck where on the lower end you have to know what to buy but wine just doesn't vary as widely as beer does and "pretty good" wine and "amazing" wine are pretty similar. The boxes are a good deal, especially if you just want to have a glass or two per night. Personally I stick to bottles just because I lack self control and if there is an open box in my house I will probably wake up with a hangover.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
a bottle will float if there is enough air inside.
A bottle can't be tossed around back and forth easily because you can seriously injure each other, it can break on rocks, you HAVE to get a bottle that has a screw cap and that cap can easily get lost or dropped in the water, someone might forget to reseal it completely and dirty river water gets inside, etc etc etc. None of that happens with the bladder from a box of wine. Goddamn son. Get on my level.

Vitality

HUSTLE
My friends and I would look like a group of vampires if someone saw us tossing around a plastic bag filled with red wine.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you've got a Total Wine near you, I believe they do tastings on weekends. It probably won't be as much of a variety as at a vineyard, but it's super convenient.

splorge

A bottle can't be tossed around back and forth easily because you can seriously injure each other, it can break on rocks, you HAVE to get a bottle that has a screw cap and that cap can easily get lost or dropped in the water, someone might forget to reseal it completely and dirty river water gets inside, etc etc etc. None of that happens with the bladder from a box of wine. Goddamn son. Get on my level.
I concede the point to the man with the sack of wine.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
M?nage a trois makes both a red and white blend which are inexpensive and very good. I prefer the red, and reds in general. If you have a Costco near you check them out. They take their wine very seriously it seems like. In some states you do not need to be a member to buy alcohol at store that requires a membership too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got some cheap wine called Apothic (white blend).. man that shit was cash. Their red wasn't that great.

Probably swill to most but I polished the whole bottle off in a couple hours.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I have a friend who is a wino, I'm not, and he swears by Apothic's red. Like it's not his favorite wine or anything, but it's cheap but surprisingly good.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They have a new Apothic blend out that is like Apothic Dark or something, haven't tried it yet. Also I think there is a new menage a trois out that is supposedly similar. Guess I'll give them a try this weekend, nothing that good on growler station and I don't like pumpkin beer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They have a new Apothic blend out that is like Apothic Dark or something, haven't tried it yet. Also I think there is a new menage a trois out that is supposedly similar. Guess I'll give them a try this weekend, nothing that good on growler station and I don't like pumpkin beer.
Keep in mind I am a "faggot supertaster" so my opinions are basically null and void.

ValkyrieIATD

Buy a bottle of the cheapest red you can find, and a bottle of black cherry soda. Mix. Drink. Get fuuuuucked up. That's how I like my wine.

In all seriousness though, unless you've carefully developed your palate through tastings, it's going to be real difficult to tell the difference between a backyard Cab and a Pinot from some appellation controlee in the depths of France where they consider their terroir a national treasure.

Find a liquor/wine store nearby that is known for their discerning tastes, walk in, and ask the owner or clerk for a bottle of their favorite Pinot Noir, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling (2 good reds, 2 fun whites). Grab a good hunk of cheese, a nice baguette, and some assorted fruit. Go home and try them all, preferably with some friends. And remember: don't become a wine snob.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm super bummed that my monthly wine tasting event that I go to got shutdown buy the WA State liqour board. Apparently they thought people were walking the streets and drinking wine or something (which is illegal here).

It was such a good value ($20 for 15 half pours at 10+ different wine cellars) to give all the local wineries an honest taste. Oh well, time to find a different tasting event.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
When drinking at Italian restaurants, I'd suggest ordering their house red. Most Italian restaurants I've been to use a red blend as their house wine, and they're almost always pretty tasty and very drinkable. It's an easy way to find a decent wine for dinner without trying to decipher the wine list or asking questions and feeling stupid when you can't pronounce something or don't know what things mean.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could do this at almost any restaurant. I don't think Italian restaurants necessarily carry a higher level of house wine.