The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I feel like a fucking moron for recognizing him in that movie but not realizing why I recognized him.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
To be fair, I thought the first season of Breaking Bad was kinda weak by comparison. It wasn't dramatic enough to be drama and it wasn't funny enough to be dark comedy. It was only later on when the stakes were raised and Walt started his downward spiral that it went from being an OK show to being truly historic TV.
Yeah the first season probably suffers a bit from being only what, 7 episodes (???) because of the writer's strike playing out while it was in production.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I'm guilty of it too Fedor/others(always recommending The Wire/Breaking Bad).

Hands down best shows ever. And only a handful even get close to them. Start slow, never slow down.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Same here. Boardwalk Empire always comes up in that conversation too.
+1
although i think only season 5 of Breaking Bad was/is great.

about the Wire,the only part i cheered throughout the whole series was:
just die motherfucker

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Youtube blocked here at work. Is that Slim giving Cheese what he deserves or something else?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This thread made me dust off my DVDs late last week. Been a couple years since I've done a rewatch. I'm 3/4 the way through season 2 or so. I really think one of the things that leaves me most impressed with the show is just how spot on the acting is from the opening scene on. How much time was spent casting and how long was David Simon in a room with each actor before any actual scenes were filmed? I feel like for almost all shows it takes the actors a couple seasons to really grow into their roles. There's no growth here. Everyone is ace right from the beginning.

I remember marking what happens with Kima in season 1 as the moment I really started caring about the show. I guess even after all this time and multiple rewatches I'm still surprised to see that not happen until episode 10. I remember just being overwhelmed with the number of characters on my first watch. Today season 1 might be my favorite.

Anyway, Omar just had his testimony which I think someone links up above. McNulty also just crashed his car twice. That's a good scene. Bunk lighting his clothes on fire and the mother fucker crime scene investigation (also above) in season 1 were funny moments to revisit.

So many shows to catch up on but I never feel like I'm wasting any time by starting this guy over again.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
a couple of days ago i was discussing with a friend about how the hell The Wire didn't win ANY Emmy or major award....

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Wire was amazing. So any great characters. Bodie was my favorite but you also have to like Omar, Slim and a bunch of others.

David Simon is really a great director. The Corner was also top quality. Just as good as the Wire.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's a crying shame that there isn't an HD version of this show. I would love to upgrade my DVDs to Blu-rays.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Don't believe it would benefit from HD anyways. do you really want to see Baltimore in hi def? i do every day and let me tell you it ain't pretty :p

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just wanted to remind everyone that The Wire is the best show ever made.

hamlet-wire-endpiece_4.jpg

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
I watched seasons 1 to 4, and about the first 5 episodes of season 5, around Jan/Feb. For me I can't think of another T.V show that comes anywhere close.

That said I am a giant pussy as I just can't watch the last couple of episodes, and I keep putting it off.

And this is mainly because McNulty is just about the best character ever and he is entering a downward spiral, and I just can't man up and watch it to see what happens.

iannis

Musty Nester
The McNulty thread in S5 was probably the weakest, but the non-McNulty threads that season were just as good as ever.

They went a little overboard with McNulty that season to make their various points about him, and in a show like The Wire... I dunno. It wasn't that bad the first time. It was a tad goofy but you're able to roll with it. S5 McNulty suffers on re-watches though. But like I said, everything else is still of that higher quality.

The only real complain I have about The Wire is that we never got to see Bedie's Boobies. The closest we got was a thin cotton t-shirt on a warm summer night. Such a tease.

khalid

Unelected Mod
They went a little overboard with McNulty that season to make their various points about him, and in a show like The Wire... I dunno. It wasn't that bad the first time. It was a tad goofy but you're able to roll with it. S5 McNulty suffers on re-watches though. But like I said, everything else is still of that higher quality.
The McNulty stuff in s5 almost made me stop watching the show. I felt it was just way silly and completely over the top. Felt like I was watching another show during those scenes.