The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
although I still think the iggy character went a bit far into caricature territory. But then again, dumb white trash does dumb shit by definition. So I guess it's believable within the context of the season and show.

i think one of the messages of the duck with the pimping necklace was how much these guys pissed their jackpot against the wall. all those sweet union perks and paychecks, and when it all ended, what did they have to show for it?

squandered opportunity is a pretty universal theme. and the duck died from alcohol poisoning.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
season 4 and 5 had 28% more Omar.

Omar_coming_yo.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Seasons 3-5 had a little too much social commentary vs. lets get bad guys of seasons 1-2, I think 1-2 are the strongest seasons. 3-5 are still pretty much magical but less so than 1-2.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
1 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 2

Finding out how the drug supply was coming in was interesting, and the followup to Avon in prison and Stringer trying to take control was good. The dock workers storyline was terrible - no need to be some hipster pretending to figure out the higher meaning of it - it was a jarring storyline after the first season and was pretty bad - if you removed it and it was just about the crew from the first season it have been better.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The Wire was about the entirety that is Baltimore. Yes, it zoomed in on the Drugs for a majority of the story, but it told the complete picture. And a large chunk of Baltimore's industry is the docks. It still is.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Season 2 is IMO awesome because you start on some random floating corpse and end into a massive criminal conspiracy, depicting any and every aspect. Dockers were collateral. They were like elephants poaching ivory, eating the candle on both ends.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
So you guys are telling me, either way, after we finish season 3 I have reached the peak of the show?
Season four introduces the kids, which are a great addition. I wouldn't say it peaks. I rate 1 above 4 because that's where it all begins, but it's neck and neck. 5 gets ragged on but it's a fitting end.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'd put 4 on par with 3, the kids are an awesome contribution to the show, 5 is where it goes downhill and even a little goofy, but they wrap up the characters in a satisfying enough way that it's still damn good TV.

3 = 4 > 1 >* 2 >>> 5

*Just. I loved S2 for expanding the scope of the show, but aside from some great moments (McNulty in the brothel, Herc & Carver with the tennis ball) the police side of things isn't as engaging as S1.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I think 1/3/4 are all in the same ballpark and mainly come down to personal preference, but 2 in first place? You gotta back that shit up with some reasoning :p

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I think 1/3/4 are all in the same ballpark and mainly come down to personal preference, but 2 in first place? You gotta back that shit up with some reasoning :p

You could bother reading the thread to glean that answer for yourself.