The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't know if I could rate them by season, but as a whole it was fantastic.

But man I was super bummed when Bodie was killed, and it actually surprised me that it upset me that much. And of course when Omar gets clipped by that little kid...I was like WTF!

Great show. Oh, and I am going to assume that posting spoilers on a show that is over 10 years old is safe.

Bodie was Monica for sure.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
It's been too long, but I don't remember that. I think he was killed by one of the kids who was shown an episode or two previously to be idolizing him at the traffic stop.

Which is the whole you kill the king to show you're strong theme taken to it's natural conclusion.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The Pogues - The Body of an American

Singing loudly for St Patrick's day

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
RIP Reg Cathey, he played Norman, Carcetti's aide in the Wire and was also in House of Cards. 59 years old, kinda young

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

About Reg Cathey: He had a more substantial part in one of the season of Oz too. He had an amazing screen presence. I saw The Wire before Oz and he had a small (but well written) part in it, but he was so good he lept out of the screen. Not a small feat as he always shared scenes with Aidan Gillen who is not exactly a potted flower.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The Wire, definitely the best TV series ever - but I've only watched it once. I had several aborted attempts to start watching it and it was only really halfway through season 1 that I got that "must see next episode" feeling.

I would love to re-watch it again but struggle to get into it.

Does anyone else experience this?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The Wire, definitely the best TV series ever - but I've only watched it once. I had several aborted attempts to start watching it and it was only really halfway through season 1 that I got that "must see next episode" feeling.

I get that for anything serious and dramatic. Like, I could watch a shitty 5/10 comedy multiple times but I really have to be in the mood to watch something like The Wire, Six Feet Under, or any other pure drama. I think it's because I feel like I need to stay focused on the show but some action or comedy film I don't feel that as much.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Everyone I've ever talked to, myself included, didn't get it at first. Watching the first couple episodes I thought "What is the big deal about this show?" and like you said it wasn't til about the halfway through season 1 mark where I couldn't stop watching.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Yes, have tried re-watching it a few times too. Furthest I've gotten is a bit into the second season I think. Maybe it just hadn't been long enough when I tried. I've been re-watching through BSG again after 12-15 years and can't get enough.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why i can't watch this show. i've watched through season 2 and most of season 3 but its just not grabbing me.

I definitely appreciate the writing and some of the nuances but i feel those scenes are few and far between. I know im in the minority here, but i actually found OZ a better show.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I wouldn't really call them fascinating. And knowing any of these "facts" don't lend assistance to loving the show in any way. They're just things that have also happened that loosely involve the show in the most vague ways possible.

For example, let's make this a story about the movie, Terminator 2 and give "facts" that I'm quickly making up.
* Did you know that the T-1000 actor actually lived in Rhode Island before landing this role?
* Arnold thought that molten metal would be an extremely painful way to end his character's life.
* They had to move 2 homeless people out of the way in order to film the Semi Truck Motorcycle chase scene.
* Sarah Conners was almost named Beth Richards.
* In 2013, plane crash landed 9 miles away from the Cyberdyne Systems building.

What a worthless article.

• 1Worf

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Corner was also really good. Was done by Simon a short time before the Wire and it has many of the same actors.

The Corner is a bit more dark, and is really tough to watch at times, but it's a great show. Reg Cathey is in that show too and he plays a legendary dope fiend. I think it's a must watch. Also, the back detective from the Wire plays a drug addict and does a great job it's kind of weird seeing him as a street fiend and not some meticulous detective.