The Witcher

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Morgan Freeman would have been a better Gandalf than Jackson.

Right, Samuel Jackson is a better Aragon, anyway, with Chris Rock as Frodo, and Terry Crews as Gimli.

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If they'd just have made her dye her hair red I don't think anyone would have cared. I'm not sure why they tried so hard to nail Ciri with the contact lenses and Geralt with the shitty straw wig, then just seem to do whatever with Tris?

Because an aspect of the cult is that changing black people's hair is racist, especially if you make it look like hair only white people have (Note: Most Black people don't believe this, which is why there is such a massive industry around it. Mostly stupid white people in the cult believe this).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Sapkowski is credited as a creative consultant / writer for this TV show, it's enough to hate him for centuries, videogames or not.

It's probably because Cavill is a PC gamer, he played the games and got some of his material from them, like Geralt voice tone or general posture. He also kind of fights like in the games as well, swordfight and all. And everything else is bad because the writers probably never played the games, they were too busy writing TV shows like Iron Fist, The Originals, Cloak And Dagger or Colony. Without Cavill involved, this is what Geralt would have been like:

View attachment 238783

Someone pointed out something funny in that link. The Term PC master race came from a Review of the first Witcher game.

Then you got Cavil in the interview looking at a guy asking him which console in disgust as he says he plays on PC. lol.

FSVYdPX.png

Removed embed, fuck auto play. =-/ Link has it.

• 8Like
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 12 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think this is the only one that probably bothers most people that aren't raging racists. 1) the actress is average, both to look at and at acting 2) it's obviously a diversity hire.

Yeah, I think you avoid a lot of back lash when the person kills the part and you realize the social justice shit did not override merit within the product, like Valkyrie in Thor. The actress was great, so no one really cared that they didn't use "the white" Valkyrie from the comics.

But I think another thing that annoys the fuck out of people is that this kind of diversification only works in one direction. Where are the white people in Wakanda? Why isn't there diversity there? Why aren't there protests about Bollywood's lack of diversity? Hollywood becomes apoplectic if black figures from literature or historical black/brown figures are filled in with white people--but the reverse is often praised as diversity. The hypocrisy gets to people, its really hard to ignore the double think/speak on the issue, IMO. Nothing worse then pretentious, holier than though people who flagrantly engage in extreme hypocrisy.

That said, in this case, its so much worse because she's...not good, anytime the scenes swap from Cavil I want to fast forward.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That said, in this case, its so much worse because she's...not good, anytime the scenes swap from Cavil I want to fast forward.

I don't think Chalotra is bad, but it's the Game of Thrones problem. The writers are terrible any time they aren't directly adapting something from the books and most of their Yenefer stuff is made up.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've only watched the first 3 episodes but it's tough to keep going. Cavill is so good as Geralt and everything else is just so bad. I'm in the same boat as Lithose, I honestly feel like just fast forwarding any time Cavill is not on screen.

• 1Garbage

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I've only watched the first 3 episodes but it's tough to keep going. Cavill is so good as Geralt and everything else is just so bad. I'm in the same boat as Lithose, I honestly feel like just fast forwarding any time Cavill is not on screen.

It’s gets a lot better around episode 6 once all the time warp shit gets pieced together and they transition to more action.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to cash in on my neckbeard allotment and point out that humans are not native to the world of the Witcher and actually came over through portals. As such, it is essentially possible that the races from the humans' original world got mixed on the Witcher world. Now, the event that made the migration possible was roughly 1.500 years before the start of the series, so if anyone wants to put together a counterargument about genetic dilution and to what extent people would still have certain skin tones after 1.500 years of potential crossbreeding, have at it!

It's already been explained many times here, dissing some of The Witcher's casting choices isn't about "black people in muh feodalism", it's about hiring actors not because they're good, fit the role or bring production value, but because they're black. Sapkowski didn't care about that in his books, CDProjekt didn't care about that in their games either. Triss actress doesn't seem to know where she is, Fringilla can't act, Elfboy is comical at best and the dryads look like they're coming straight from Wakanda.

On the other hand, most of these characters have shitty writing and telenovela tier dialogues. You can be a top tier actor, there's just so much you can do when the writers decide to give you lame lines and stupid story development. Yennefer actress did a decent job, considering the trainwreck writing. Her character has a somewhat correct storyline until she fucked off from Hogwarts Magician Academy and decided she wants children after all, cramming herself into a stupid dragon storyline, making her do swordfights and conveniently not using her magic when the plot doesn't call for it. Yeah, another Woman going after dragons, heh.

I don't really care about actor's skin color when I'm watching anything, I'm just getting my immersion ruined when some actor play so bad you can't see his character anymore just the actor doing a mediocre job. And that's what it is here. The showrunner got her first writer gig on The West Wing, and some directors worked on The Sopranos or Utopia. They definitely know the difference between good and bad acting. They're not stupid, they're just making a point doing diversity casting for the sake of it and not caring about the final product overall quality. It's not an oversight, it's a cyclone of bad decisions and amateur level production. The material was rich and elaborated, the videogames were very good and Witcher 3 is a top notch gaming milestone, Cavill was on board, fandom was huge, Netflix was spouting millions out of its ass, why did they have to ruin it with terrible decisions?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
What was the last battle between the sorceress and mages versus the nilfgardians? I cant remember that happening in the books. Was it supposed to be Sodden without northern armies?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Triss could have been played by Christina Hendricks, and it would have still been a bleh show. Much better titties...but bleh none the less. Don't get worked up. Just try and enjoy the titties, as long as they nice titties.

Tease factor at about an 11 in this post. Yeah. I'm gonna need you to come down to a 7 or 8. Thanks.

• 1Solidarity