The Witcher

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Really? I feel like most Netflix original stuff is trash..

That quote is about 16 months old, since then they have significantly poisoned the well and I agree with you completely. I stopped paying attention to all the mediocre trash they started shitting out after giving up on the Defenders mid season. Last good show from them I binged was Mindhunter (Ozark s2 on backlog). I Am a Killer is slightly above average I suppose, but I give them partial credit for being a doc.

I tend to steer clear from the SJW threads, but if they miscast Ciri it's safe to assume they are taking liberties with the story (Emhyr, Elven lineage) and fuck that. It reminds me of that Dark Tower abortion, these people need to stop thinking they are better than their source material.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hopes for this definitely going down the drain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're all automatically jumping to the worst case scenario..
tumblr_nkvgiiF8cP1sc4gt7o6_1280.jpg

I'm ok with this version though.

83401eb04bead1dd7e999c72f50a5c34.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
oh, so basically Heimdall all over again.

No, it's a lot worse than Heimdall. Idris Elba is at least a great actor who did an excellent job in the role. Aside from the fact that Ciri is so white that she's damn near an albino, they're being completely brazen and tone-deaf. BAME basically means 'anything but a white woman', as in all they care about is making sure Ciri isn't white.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

I for one would have no problem having a kpop star like Lee Chae-rin (pictured above) play Ciri. For example, I'd be more than happy to go to Korea myself and do the casting on behalf of netfilix for Triss and endure those rigorous auditions, just to find that perfect red haired asian girl, who I'm sure is willing to do whatever it takes to get the part

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
i'm a noob to all this. please explain Witcher and why the possibility of casting a non white is egregious?
The character is the whitest white person to ever white, and it's not the fact that a nonwhite actress could be cast in the role - it's the fact that they're apparently not even considering a white actress. They're not even pretending it's about the most talented person, it's about a diversity quota.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
i'm a noob to all this. please explain Witcher and why the possibility of casting a non white is egregious?

Witcher takes place in the heart of East European folklore and draws heavily from, specifically Polish, mythology in that area. Lots of Pre-Christian kind of stuff. Thus, while the games do have Elves and Dwarves and shit they are very true to being a Slavic rendition of these things.

They did introduce Zerikkania which is some kind of Eastern(Turkish inspired or something?) barbarians and I think there were a few black, "pirates" in Witcher 3. It stays pretty true to its roots in this way.

Ciri is the daughter of the Nilfgaardian Emperor making her black just because sours the lot of it. The game designers themsevles were unabashed about their lack of, "inclusivity" in the Witcher series as the games were designed in Poland and they don't give a shit about that there... mostly. Similarly to how the Kingdom Come developers told the SJW crows bitching about, "Where are the Moors you bigots?!" in 13th century Bohemia. Nevermind that a trek from Morocco/Spain 3000KM to Eastern Europe during that time period was just extremely extremely unlikely..

That guy coming back and telling them that in 400 years of history there were 3 recorded black people to have set foot in Bohemia by that point was pretty ice burn though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wait until the TV show sends a wave of new players to W3, only to find out that they whitewashed the proud Nubian princess.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Witcher takes place in the heart of East European folklore and draws heavily from, specifically Polish, mythology in that area. Lots of Pre-Christian kind of stuff. Thus, while the games do have Elves and Dwarves and shit they are very true to being a Slavic rendition of these things.

They did introduce Zerikkania which is some kind of Eastern(Turkish inspired or something?) barbarians and I think there were a few black, "pirates" in Witcher 3. It stays pretty true to its roots in this way.

Ciri is the daughter of the Nilfgaardian Emperor making her black just because sours the lot of it. The game designers themsevles were unabashed about their lack of, "inclusivity" in the Witcher series as the games were designed in Poland and they don't give a shit about that there... mostly. Similarly to how the Kingdom Come developers told the SJW crows bitching about, "Where are the Moors you bigots?!" in 13th century Bohemia. Nevermind that a trek from Morocco/Spain 3000KM to Eastern Europe during that time period was just extremely extremely unlikely..

That guy coming back and telling them that in 400 years of history there were 3 recorded black people to have set foot in Bohemia by that point was pretty ice burn though.
well damn, if they didnt want to cast white people, then why the fuck did they take on the IP in the first place? its just like The Dark Tower and them making Roland Deschain of Gilead a black. it destroyed several main character archs in the process, pissed off book fans and flopped, ensuring it will never be adapted again in my lifetime.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I for one would have no problem having a kpop star like Lee Chae-rin (pictured above) play Ciri. For example, I'd be more than happy to go to Korea myself and do the casting on behalf of netfilix for Triss and endure those rigorous auditions, just to find that perfect red haired asian girl, who I'm sure is willing to do whatever it takes to get the part

I'm sure you'd be happy if they replaced the ENTIRE CAST with K-Pop stars.

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
I was jk anyway. The "A" in BAME doesn't mean kpop asians....they mean GOATFUCKER asians.

• 4Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users