The Witcher

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If I could download a potato, I would 100% not shop anywhere.

Likewise, I CAN download netflix shit without paying for it.

My wife was silly enough to run a sub of HBO for the last season of GoT, that season finally broke her will for paying for things before they air.

No, if something is good, then you pay for it, when we are talking digital goods.

What kind of petulant, bratty logic is this? In the real world we call this stealing. If you don't like it don't watch it, but if you're downloading it that means you're interested in watching it. Netflix is $15 a month for a ton of content, a lot of which is uninteresting crap, and plenty of which is worth the cost of the sub. If you don't think it's worth the sub then by all means don't pay for it. But stop pretending you refuse to pay on principle or that the cost is exorbitant and then watch all of it via illegal downloading anyway.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 7 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
The issue I raised was with the SJW infestation of TV series and movies. One thing about Americans that Ive always admired was that they "vote with their wallets", as the expression goes. The culture war in the US will not be won only with comments on forums and Twitter.

Just start a #leaveNetflix shitshow and unsub. Even if 50 % of US subscribers are libtards sjw, if the other 50% unsub over a SJW infested tv show, I reckon that the effect would be spectacular.
Dont you agree, at least in principle ?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What kind of petulant, bratty logic is this? In the real world we call this stealing. If you don't like it don't watch it, but if you're downloading it that means you're interested in watching it. Netflix is $15 a month for a ton of content, a lot of which is uninteresting crap, and plenty of which is worth the cost of the sub. If you don't think it's worth the sub then by all means don't pay for it. But stop pretending you refuse to pay on principle or that the cost is exorbitant and then watch all of it via illegal downloading anyway.

So, what wouldn't make what I said stealing without actually outright paying for it?

Should I find a compilation video on youtube that shows all the best parts, then find a compilation video that shows all the worst parts, then find a couple review videos that show the reviewers best and worst part that don't overlap with my first 2 points? What if, during ALL of that, I basically got the gist of watching all of season 8? Did I steal then?

What if, I saw a game I really really liked because it looked like the story would be amazing, I had the full intention of buying it and then I turned on twitch and watched a streamer play it all the way through and ended up NOT buying it after. Is that stealing?

I do lots of things that indirectly result in not giving money to a studio or company such as: watch red-letter media reviews, watch twitch TV of games I want to know about, read this forum for things lie games / movies / TV shows of interest. In the realm of digital media I can't physically remove a copy of something from physical use, so the company doesn't lose money from a physical stand point, they lose money from a "Did not pay" stand point. The gripe being had is the line in the sand where I turn into a "Did not pay" VS a paying customer which, with all the fair use out there, is a pretty weak line in the sand.

Lets give you a "grey" area.

This is a translation group for a comedy group based in Japan, none of their content is translated into English aside from a pet project on Amazon (Documental). Am I stealing by watching the translated episodes via this website? They are available no where else, I can't go to a store and buy it, I can't pay for a streaming service to watch it, if I donate to the website the people creating the content don't get a cent of that donation. Yes, it's stealing, in order to enjoy this content legally I should learn Japanese, move to japan and consume the product there on local TV. Is that even remotely feasible? No.

The reality is, if I like something I'll pay for it even if I've already watched it or "consumed it".

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, what wouldn't make what I said stealing without actually outright paying for it?

Should I find a compilation video on youtube that shows all the best parts, then find a compilation video that shows all the worst parts, then find a couple review videos that show the reviewers best and worst part that don't overlap with my first 2 points? What if, during ALL of that, I basically got the gist of watching all of season 8? Did I steal then?

What if, I saw a game I really really liked because it looked like the story would be amazing, I had the full intention of buying it and then I turned on twitch and watched a streamer play it all the way through and ended up NOT buying it after. Is that stealing?

I do lots of things that indirectly result in not giving money to a studio or company such as: watch red-letter media reviews, watch twitch TV of games I want to know about, read this forum for things lie games / movies / TV shows of interest. In the realm of digital media I can't physically remove a copy of something from physical use, so the company doesn't lose money from a physical stand point, they lose money from a "Did not pay" stand point. The gripe being had is the line in the sand where I turn into a "Did not pay" VS a paying customer which, with all the fair use out there, is a pretty weak line in the sand.

This is a translation group for a comedy group based in Japan, none of their content is translated into English aside from a pet project on Amazon (Documental). Am I stealing by watching the translated episodes via this website? They are available no where else, I can't go to a store and buy it, I can't pay for a streaming service to watch it, if I donate to the website the people creating the content don't get a cent of that donation. Yes, it's stealing, in order to enjoy this content legally I should learn Japanese, move to japan and consume the product there on local TV. Is that even remotely feasible? No.

The reality is, if I like something I'll pay for it even if I've already watched it or "consumed it".
I think the issue is that the "if I like it ill pay for it" argument sounds an awful lot like "I read Playboy for the article." Yeah, I mean there's plenty of people who do that but it always sounds disingenuous

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

What a long post of irrelevant bullshit.

Watching 100 reviews to try and piece together the general gist of a show and watching a translated Japan region only show is completely different and just terrible points in general and blatant strawman.

I'll stream the occassional MMA fight or new movie, but I don't pretend I'm some moral crusader or anything other than lazy/cheap.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
What a long post of irrelevant bullshit.

Watching 100 reviews to try and piece together the general gist of a show and watching a translated Japan region only show is completely different and just terrible points in general and blatant strawman.

I'll stream the occassional MMA fight or new movie, but I don't pretend I'm some moral crusader or anything other than lazy/cheap.

All of what I said is stealing in the legal sense, the point I'm making is more philosophical of "What is stealing in the digital era?"

I once had a manager for facebook advertising state to me in no uncertain terms that "Ad blocking is theft" and while I don't think a person on FoH would give a fuck if I said, "I RUN AD BLOCKER!" it IS indirect theft. I am using your service and not giving anything back for "Enjoying" the content I am viewing.

I think the issue is that the "if I like it ill pay for it" argument sounds an awful lot like "I read Playboy for the article." Yeah, I mean there's plenty of people who do that but it always sounds disingenuous

True, it's a "thieves honor" type situation.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
All of what I said is stealing in the legal sense, the point I'm making is more philosophical of "What is stealing in the digital era?"

I once had a manager for facebook advertising state to me in no uncertain terms that "Ad blocking is theft" and while I don't think a person on FoH would give a fuck if I said, "I RUN AD BLOCKER!" it IS indirect theft. I am using your service and not giving anything back for "Enjoying" the content I am viewing.

True, it's a "thieves honor" type situation.

You're conflating legality with morality.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Leaving out legal considerations you could definitely argue that running an ad-blocker is worse than pirating content you that you would not otherwise have paid for. In the case of the ad-blocker you will typically consume resources (bandwidth, server capacity etc) on the end of the content provider.

Considering that services such as Spotify and Steam greatly reduced piracy for music and games I think the same thing would happen for TV shows and movies if we end up in a situation where a customer can get most or all content they want from a single provider (at a reasonable price). I don't see this happening any time soon.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This thread and the Ebola Outbreak thread are on page one. Coincidence? I think not!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

So what did he say when you replied that Facebook steals data from people who don't even have accounts through all their cancerous plugins spread all over the internet?

Was this before or after Cambridge Analytica?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Casting choice for Yennefer: Fappable or not? Go!

Yennefer in the books was always described as extremely, unbelievably beautiful.

So I'm not quite sure how they arrived at that with their casting decision.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So what did he say when you replied that Facebook steals data from people who don't even have accounts through all their cancerous plugins spread all over the internet?

Was this before or after Cambridge Analytica?

This will all be totally off topic for the movie so...

That all happened after I was banned from their "community".

I mean you are free to shoot the shit with him too, assuming their community isn't dead yet. He is basically a robot (NPC lawl...) though and believes "The System" (meaning the facebook system) is nearly perfect in both weeding out unwanted individuals and punishing undesirable behaviour.

Only reason I post his name and information isn't "Doxxing" it's because his Handle / Moniker is literally his name and he "Believes in" a system of using real names for ALL THINGS online. You can ask him about that too...maybe a post-Trump era has changed his mind but I kinda doubt it.

Travis Vocino:

Community:

---

In response, my guess is that he would basically say that they, "Have a right to that data since people are using their products." The issue with Vocino is that he can't think from a secondary point of view, he can only think from a singular one. If you posit a secondary point of view to him he gradually labels you like he labeled me, as a instigator or a shit-stirrer which is a major issue for a person directly involved with focusing content development. At one point he went so far to say that he would never put a person like me on a project, not because of any skill issue but because he didn't like my point of view.

Walled gardens.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yennefer in the books was always described as extremely, unbelievably beautiful.

So I'm not quite sure how they arrived at that with their casting decision.

It actually undermines the goddamn source material since 3 explains that Yen was not pretty but that as a mage learns her craft the school sculpts them into unbelievable beauties. They mention that Yen's bad attitude is the ugly little girl inside that doesn't think she is pretty.

spronk

FPS noob
you cannot escape superman

facetachelejps.png

looks alright, some parts look good some parts look cheap and very fake, jaw girl is weird

medallion looks super lame

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user