The Witcher

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I’ll post this for the millionth time.

The writer made the books and was done. He sold the rights to his IP to CDPR that allowed them to make non canon games based off his IP but they could only make the games with their story nothing else.

Netflix bought the rights to make a show off the books. CDPR isn’t allowed to sell their adaptations to movies or TV. Author doesn’t consider the games canon and doesn’t like them.

Books are trash, got it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We've all made mistakes. How much time did you and I waste in Marvel Heroes?

• 6Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
You mean like when he sued them out of spite last year?

I thought he sued them because according to Polish laws he was entitled to further compensation because of how successful Witcher 3 was and CDPR weren't playing ball. Basically there are some laws over there protecting right's holders from getting unfair deals.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought he sued them because according to Polish laws he was entitled to further compensation because of how successful Witcher 3 was and CDPR weren't playing ball. Basically there are some laws over there protecting right's holders from getting unfair deals.

They offered him royalties in the initial deal, he turned them down in favor of a lump sum because he never thought the games would amount to anything. He had absolutely no case and CDPR settled for PR reasons, not legal ones. They would have crushed him if they'd gone to court but it would have been a bad look.

Also, if anyone is wondering why Stregobor sounds so familiar, he was the voice actor for Grand Admiral Thrawn in Rebels.

We've all made mistakes. How much time did you and I waste in Marvel Heroes?

mhplayed.png

• 4Like
  • 3Blown
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Next faggot who makes a stupid “why didn’t they use the games” bullshit post I will spend a paycheck on bucks to Shaw you forever.

If you don’t want to read the thread that explains your faggot answers 100 times don’t fucking post on it.
0A8O4qRh.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
If you had based on the first two Witcher games, which were so-so rpgs, he would have just been fine with it but then they came out with one of the best rpgs in all of gaming history that got industry wide recognition and he felt like he deserved a bigger slice of the pie. Fuck him I say.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If you had based on the first two Witcher games, which were so-so rpgs, he would have just been fine with it but then they came out with one of the best rpgs in all of gaming history that got industry wide recognition and he felt like he deserved a bigger slice of the pie. Fuck him I say.
Paging Breakdown Breakdown do your thing Bro.

• 3Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The music has a real Black Sails vibe. Wonder if it the composer? Yes, too lazy to look it up myself.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Next faggot who makes a stupid “why didn’t they use the games” bullshit post I will spend a paycheck on bucks to Shaw you forever.

If you don’t want to read the thread that explains your faggot answers 100 times don’t fucking post on it.

Ahem!

tenor.gif

• 1Solidarity

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
In all honesty I hadn’t read the entire thread so I apologize if I was beating a dead horse that had been beaten to a bloody pile of gore months ago.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
In all honesty I hadn’t read the entire thread so I apologize if I was beating a dead horse that had been beaten to a bloody pile of gore months ago.

*sigh*

I will never fault a man for admitting his mistakes...

source (1).gif

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 4 users

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
They offered him royalties in the initial deal, he turned them down in favor of a lump sum because he never thought the games would amount to anything. He had absolutely no case and CDPR settled for PR reasons, not legal ones. They would have crushed him if they'd gone to court but it would have been a bad look.

Yeah but there's also protections in Polish law to insure fair contracts.

In the event of a gross discrepancy between the remuneration of the author and the benefits of the acquirer of author’s economic rights or the licensee, the author may request that the court should duly increase his remuneration.

How that works with him turning down royalties on the initial deal I have no clue. But it does seem like his claims had more legal merit in Poland then most people assume. Not everyone is playing by the same rules as America. Sapkowski gets shit on pretty fucking hard by the games fanbase and maybe it's for good reason, but I've also read people say that the quotes he gets hate for are poorly translated or out of context. I mean that could all be bullshit too, but missinforned gamers raging about something they barely know anything about isn't exactly uncommon.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sapkowski is credited as a creative consultant / writer for this TV show, it's enough to hate him for centuries, videogames or not.

This might be the strangest show I've ever watched. Cavill is excellent as Geralt, and the writing and atmosphere of the show when Geralt is on screen is spot on. And then there's everything else... which is confoundingly bad.

It's probably because Cavill is a PC gamer, he played the games and got some of his material from them, like Geralt voice tone or general posture. He also kind of fights like in the games as well, swordfight and all. And everything else is bad because the writers probably never played the games, they were too busy writing TV shows like Iron Fist, The Originals, Cloak And Dagger or Colony. Without Cavill involved, this is what Geralt would have been like:

1576999395432.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I binged this tonight. It was kind of a roller coaster. They get a lot of things right and its cool, and for everyone saying there isn't much SJWing happening, you have just gotten used to <current year>. I haven't read the stories but if Yennefer and Ciri get equal screen time to Geralt in the books, wow. I thought the Mages and the Lodge of Sorceresses had/were two organizations. But then if they were, you wouldn't get "Smashing the Patriarchy" in every episode. "If I were a king, I could tell Parvette to marry whomever she pleases"; I'm just a vessel"... for mens desires, obviously. By Episode 3 I thought it was really good, and then by episode 5 I thought it could be great but then by the finale Episode 8 I was wondering why I was watching "The Witch" and I understood why the girlpwer! crew had adapted it. It's still a pretty good show, the SJW stuff isn't too overpowering, and whenever Cavill is on screen the show rocks.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m watching it, and Cavill alone makes it enjoyable. Yenner is interesting and her rockin’ tits are on point. The writers are complete hacks. Monster of the week in a show on Netflix is fucking stupid. Just tell a story.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users