The Woman King (2022)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh, how the refinements and recalibrations continue, instead of just admitting what you said was wrong.

"they were expecting Black Panther numbers."

Nope.

Hoping to generate word of mouth is not the same as expecting the same numbers. BP spent $200 million on its production budget and almost as much on its marketing.

Here's a sample comparison on US TV ad buys (screenshotted because of registration wall):

View attachment 436123

View attachment 436124

Yes, when you're looking to get Black Panther numbers (your words!), you'll spend over six times less than Black Panther did. Because that's definitely what you'd do when you're trying to get 1.35 billion dollars internationally, 700 million in the US, and a 200 million opening weekend -- BP numbers, if you'll recall. All for a historical epic with a very black cast and not part of any franchise or known IP.

Sony's official company line for opening weekend expectations was $12 million. While studios generally put out public estimates on the low side, that's a pretty far estimate from $200 million!

Or, maybe, just maybe, no one in the entire world thought it would get anywhere near BP numbers. Hoping for good word of mouth is not the same as "they were expecting Black Panther numbers."

Just admit you should have never said what you did because you're an old hyperbolic blowhard that puts as much thought into your posts as you do picking and eating your own boogers.
i am saying the same thing, monkey. they tried to recreate the hype behind TWK to bring in BP numbers. its the same thing. why cant your simian mind understand that? just play with yourself instead of constantly shooting yourself in the foot here. do you have some kind of humiliation fetish like Ossoi?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
i am saying the same thing, monkey. they tried to recreate the hype behind TWK to bring in BP numbers. its the same thing. why cant your simian mind understand that? just play with yourself instead of constantly shooting yourself in the foot here. do you have some kind of humiliation fetish like Ossoi?
Words have meaning. They never had a single hope of bringing in BP numbers. We cannot be saying the same thing since I am categorically saying they never once expected BP numbers and you are. All evidence supports me and the only thing that supports you are the maggots rotting your brain.

Your attempts to dial back your stupidity are transparent. Stop being... you.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright I think we can all agree that

-Nobody expected this to bring in BP numbers

-The people behind TWK still wanted to capture a "cultural zeitgeist moment" the way BP did and maybe experience a large surge

So you both have points.

If it had captured any remote "cultural zeitgeist" it would have surged way beyond its budget, rather than sputtering out at the starting line and needing journalists to run interference for it with desperate grasps at straws. Instead it barely got any of the public interest that BP did and even White Guilt wasn't enough for the money to roll in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

-The people behind TWK still wanted to capture a "cultural zeitgeist moment" the way BP did and maybe experience a large surge

So you both have points.

If it had captured any remote "cultural zeitgeist" it would have surged way beyond its budget, rather than sputtering out at the starting line and needing journalists to run interference for it with desperate grasps at straws. Instead it barely got any of the public interest that BP did and even White Guilt wasn't enough for the money to roll in.
basically, but they did expect to capture at least part of the Black Panther audience with big numbers. they hadnt reckoned on black people finding out the "heroes" in this were genocidal slave traders and being offended by it. they should have gone with a fictional tribe and it would have done better.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

So you both have points.

He did say exactly what you're saying nobody said and then doubled down ("they were expecting Black Panther numbers."). I mean, that's the entire crux of why I keep lambasting him. It's such a silly idea that no one would ever think that or think sometime thought that except our resident genius Chuk.

If word of mouth had been more successful this film might have made 125 million or even 150 million total in their wildest dreams. That's not even close to BP numbers.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There's no way in hell anyone expected this to do anything close to Black Panther numbers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The blackwashing or black supremacy shit is getting out of hand.

I was at a pizza shop and they had a large poster up of black inventors, maybe 40 pictures of different random black men and women. Some of the inventions they listed were unbelievable, such as GPS, the home gaming console, internet video player, fiber optics, and a bunch of other preposterous shit. It was funny as fuck, I wanted to take a picture of it but the dude who worked there looked like his dog died so I didnt even bother. There were other more ridiculous claims I cant remember, but the fact that someone really believes that shit is fucking HILARIOUS.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users