The Woman King (2022)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, I just read the snippet posted here and took the line about blockbusters as inferring TWK was a blockbuster with a much better second weekend drop than usual. I'm still not certain it's not trying to do that, to be honest. I understand your point but it isn't even really touched on the article. The article's focus is more simply on the fact a lot less films in general have been released in theaters so anything that drives some traffic is helpful (which is a valid point).

In any case, something like an MCU movie might have a 50-65% drop off and get large initial cuts, but that's still way more ticketgoers in the second weekend than something like TWK. Not to mention more kids than something like the TWK. That's a lot of concession revenue. I'm not convinced an adult skewing film mid level film like this is actually better for a theater than a MCU film, especially when it's hardly selling out. TWK still has 3765 screens, which is only 600 less than Thor 4 did.

Additionally, a mid level movie dropping 42% isn't anything particularly noteworthy, but one with this much supposed good word of mouth dropping 42% is. I mean, it's not a flop or embarrassing, but it's pretty far from a "must see event" as the analyst said.
that article i linked was the entire article. check it and see.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
that article i linked was the entire article. check it and see.
Huh? I'm not sure what you think you're clarifying.

I read your post which included a couple of lines from the article. That was the snippet I'm referring to. I didn't actually read the full article until after Angerz's post.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Have they apologized for all of the historical inaccuracies in this turd yet?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Wait a minute, how does this have a 99% audience rating on RT?

She-Hulk is down to 36%... are they purging some things and not others? None of this makes any sense.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Wait a minute, how does this have a 99% audience rating on RT?

She-Hulk is down to 36%... are they purging some things and not others? None of this makes any sense.
yes, they will freeze reviews at certain scores i assume if the check arrives to do so.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Smile already making money while TWK is still a flop.
Oct. 2 (UPI) -- Smile, a horror movie starring Sosie Bacon and Jessie T. Usher, is the No. 1 movie in North America, earning $22 million in receipts this weekend.
Coming in at No. 2 is Don't Worry Darling with $7.3 million, followed by The Woman King at No. 3 with 7 million, Bros at No. 4 with $4.8 million and Avatar at No. 5 with $4.7 million.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Smile already making money while TWK is still a flop.
Oct. 2 (UPI) -- Smile, a horror movie starring Sosie Bacon and Jessie T. Usher, is the No. 1 movie in North America, earning $22 million in receipts this weekend.
Coming in at No. 2 is Don't Worry Darling with $7.3 million, followed by The Woman King at No. 3 with 7 million, Bros at No. 4 with $4.8 million and Avatar at No. 5 with $4.7 million.

When I went and saw Smile this weekend, I actually had the thought again about this thread cause my 10pm showing was pretty full.

That article we discussed before mentioned how there is a lack of mid budget movies these days, which is true, but this summer actually gave us quite a few, all of which I enjoyed and did pretty well box office wise.

Bullet Train
Black Phone
Smile (currently)
Nope
Barbarian
X/Pearl
even Don't Worry Darling which got eviscerated by critics is tracking to at least break even.

(Bodies Bodies Bodies too, it didnt make much money, but was also a limited release that had a very good per theater average).

Horror is the thing keeping the lights on in theaters in the mid budget range.

However, Woman King doing 7 million on week 3 is actually a really good sign for the movie, that means it only dropped like a third from week 2 to 3, that means it will probably hit 50+ million after this week, and probably 60/70 by the end of the month. Unless the studio had really unhinged expectations for this movie, I cant imagine this will go down as a flop in their eyes; I'd be shocked if it did not hit 100 million easily after digital release.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
When I went and saw Smile this weekend, I actually had the thought again about this thread cause my 10pm showing was pretty full.

That article we discussed before mentioned how there is a lack of mid budget movies these days, which is true, but this summer actually gave us quite a few, all of which I enjoyed and did pretty well box office wise.

Bullet Train
Black Phone
Smile (currently)
Nope
Barbarian
X/Pearl
even Don't Worry Darling which got eviscerated by critics is tracking to at least break even.

(Bodies Bodies Bodies too, it didnt make much money, but was also a limited release that had a very good per theater average).

Horror is the thing keeping the lights on in theaters in the mid budget range.

However, Woman King doing 7 million on week 3 is actually a really good sign for the movie, that means it only dropped like a third from week 2 to 3, that means it will probably hit 50+ million after this week, and probably 60/70 by the end of the month. Unless the studio had really unhinged expectations for this movie, I cant imagine this will go down as a flop in their eyes; I'd be shocked if it did not hit 100 million easily after digital release.
they need 125 million to break even. 50 million dollar budget. they were expecting Black Panther numbers. this movie will be booted out of theaters in a week or two.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

they need 125 million to break even. 50 million dollar budget. they were expecting Black Panther numbers. this movie will be booted out of theaters in a week or two.
You're a real retard sometimes. First, you have no idea of the marketing cost. You're just using a general estimate for all movies (that itself is weighted towards big international films). Since this won't get much play overseas, I guarantee the marketing budget was not as much as the film making budget.

Secondly, no one in the entire world thought this would make Black Panther numbers. 200/700/1.3b... sure. You are so fuckin dumb about box office shit.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
TheThe Woman King isn’t the simple tale of good and evil it appears to be. The film does pit the Agojie, a fierce all-female army from the historical West African kingdom of Dahomey (and inspiration for Black Panther’s Dora Milaje), against the moral rot of chattel slavery. The Dahomey aren’t pure victims, though. They also participate in the slave trade — not as extensively as the neighboring Oyo Empire, which has been terrorizing Dahomey settlements and selling their people to Portuguese slavers for decades. But the Dahomey do capture enemies and sell them as slaves. Some within the kingdom oppose the practice on moral grounds. Others are simply looking to get rich and don’t care how they do it.

[URL unfurl="true
One of the most pronounced effects of Marvel’s “Black Panther” was that it allowed a race of people who’ve long been underserved by Hollywood to envision an alternative history not rooted in victimhood.

In Wakanda, Black audiences were able to imagine an African nation that had triumphed over colonialism. And through the Dora Milaje — the elite team of female warriors who defended the fictional kingdom — moviegoers met an army of powerful women holding their own against men.

In fact, the Dora Milaje were modeled after the Agojie warrior women (also known as the Dahomey Amazons), who defended the western African kingdom of Dahomey (modern-day Benin) in the 1800s and were the dominant military force in the society. Now, the Agojie are the subject of a new film, “The Woman King,” directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood from a story by actor Maria Bello and screenwriter Dana Stevens.

The Agojie also happen to be the inspiration behind the Dora Milaje of Marvel’s blockbuster “Black Panther.” But that, along with substantial critical acclaim ahead of their releases, is where the similarities between the two films end. “Gina says all the time that if it were not for ‘Black Panther’s’ success, ‘The Woman King’ would not have happened,” said Davis. “But I encourage people to understand that it’s not ‘Black Panther.’ It is its own movie and its own narrative.”

• 1Garbage
  • 1WTF
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

TheThe Woman King isn’t the simple tale of good and evil it appears to be. The film does pit the Agojie, a fierce all-female army from the historical West African kingdom of Dahomey (and inspiration for Black Panther’s Dora Milaje), against the moral rot of chattel slavery. The Dahomey aren’t pure victims, though. They also participate in the slave trade — not as extensively as the neighboring Oyo Empire, which has been terrorizing Dahomey settlements and selling their people to Portuguese slavers for decades. But the Dahomey do capture enemies and sell them as slaves. Some within the kingdom oppose the practice on moral grounds. Others are simply looking to get rich and don’t care how they do it.

[URL unfurl="true
One of the most pronounced effects of Marvel’s “Black Panther” was that it allowed a race of people who’ve long been underserved by Hollywood to envision an alternative history not rooted in victimhood.

In Wakanda, Black audiences were able to imagine an African nation that had triumphed over colonialism. And through the Dora Milaje — the elite team of female warriors who defended the fictional kingdom — moviegoers met an army of powerful women holding their own against men.

In fact, the Dora Milaje were modeled after the Agojie warrior women (also known as the Dahomey Amazons), who defended the western African kingdom of Dahomey (modern-day Benin) in the 1800s and were the dominant military force in the society. Now, the Agojie are the subject of a new film, “The Woman King,” directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood from a story by actor Maria Bello and screenwriter Dana Stevens.

The Agojie also happen to be the inspiration behind the Dora Milaje of Marvel’s blockbuster “Black Panther.” But that, along with substantial critical acclaim ahead of their releases, is where the similarities between the two films end. “Gina says all the time that if it were not for ‘Black Panther’s’ success, ‘The Woman King’ would not have happened,” said Davis. “But I encourage people to understand that it’s not ‘Black Panther.’ It is its own movie and its own narrative.”
Once again a fucking moron. Quote the line where they think it can have Black Panther numbers. Can you even read? The second article even says critical acclaim and the Agojie is where the similarities ends.

Obviously, a movie about strong black characters in a black society that did well financially inspired a movie about strong black characters in a black society. What a shock. Anything successful opens a door for somewhat similar films, whether original riffs or copycats. That doesn't mean they thought they were going to make an original black centered film a top 10 film of all time in an age dominated by interconnected comic book blockbusters (of which BP was one).

Are you really so stupid you can't understand this?

Go jerk off to your faggot hat collection while reminiscing about something retarded from the 70s that everybody has forgotten.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Once again a fucking moron. Quote the line where they think it can have Black Panther numbers. Can you even read? The second article even says critical acclaim and the Agojie is where the similarities ends.

Obviously, a movie about strong black characters in a black society that did well financially inspired a movie about strong black characters in a black society. What a shock. Anything successful opens a door for somewhat similar films, whether original riffs or copycats. That doesn't mean they thought they were going to make an original black centered film a top 10 film of all time in an age dominated by interconnected comic book blockbusters (of which BP was one).

Are you really so stupid you can't understand this?

Go jerk off to your faggot hat collection while reminiscing about something retarded from the 70s that everybody has forgotten.
little boy, i already proved they tried to correlate the two movies in order to promote this as a Black panther type of film. you can cry like a bitch all day, but it doesnt change that. stop throwing your doodoo like a chimp.

• 1Pathetic

DickTrickle

little boy, i already proved they tried to correlate the two movies in order to promote this as a Black panther type of film. you can cry like a bitch all day, but it doesnt change that. stop throwing your doodoo like a chimp.
Having a few similarities movie wise doesn't automatically imply people think it will perform like it. They are just not the same thing you smooth brain dumbass. No one has ever thought this would make BP numbers. Period. You said it did and you can't stand by your words. Stop trying to shift you fucking imbecile. You're too retarded to have conversations with adults.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Having a few similarities movie wise doesn't automatically imply people think it will perform like it. They are just not the same thing you smooth brain dumbass. No one has ever thought this would make BP numbers. Period. You said it did and you can't stand by your words. Stop trying to shift you fucking imbecile. You're too retarded to have conversations with adults.
stop responding to me, you monkey. just stop, you self own at every turn.

DickTrickle

stop responding to me, you monkey. just stop, you self own at every turn.
Just never talk about anything related to the box office ever again, please. You only embarrass yourself with your lack of cognitive function.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just never talk about anything related to the box office ever again, please. You only embarrass yourself with your lack of cognitive function.
you cant quit me. i wont stop doing what i do and i am right in this regard.

• 1Picard

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Nobody was expecting this movie to do Marvel numbers, fucking hell

Marvel is in its own league when it comes to box office

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nobody was expecting this movie to do Marvel numbers, fucking hell

Marvel is in its own league when it comes to box office
not marvel so much as creating the same "event" for black people as BP did, where schools were sent to see the film as class trips and such.
that movie became a thing for some reason, it was just a lame MCU film, but the marketing around it was crazy. they tried that with TWK. trying to recreate that vibe. it just didnt happen.
the budget was 50 million, but i imagine the money they spent on hyping this up as a historic BP film might have been just as much.

• 1Picard

DickTrickle

Oh, how the refinements and recalibrations continue, instead of just admitting what you said was wrong.

"they were expecting Black Panther numbers."

Nope.

Hoping to generate word of mouth is not the same as expecting the same numbers. BP spent $200 million on its production budget and almost as much on its marketing.

Here's a sample comparison on US TV ad buys (screenshotted because of registration wall):

1664855016456.png

1664855057540.png

Yes, when you're looking to get Black Panther numbers (your words!), you'll spend over six times less than Black Panther did. Because that's definitely what you'd do when you're trying to get 1.35 billion dollars internationally, 700 million in the US, and a 200 million opening weekend -- BP numbers, if you'll recall. All for a historical epic with a very black cast and not part of any franchise or known IP.

Sony's official company line for opening weekend expectations was $12 million. While studios generally put out public estimates on the low side, that's a pretty far estimate from $200 million!

Or, maybe, just maybe, no one in the entire world thought it would get anywhere near BP numbers. Hoping for good word of mouth is not the same as "they were expecting Black Panther numbers."

Just admit you should have never said what you did because you're an old hyperbolic blowhard that puts as much thought into your posts as you do picking and eating your own boogers.