The Xenoblade Chronicles Appreciation/Anticipation thread! 3DS/Wi U - YES

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best JRPG's of the century, and this coming from a guy that usually hates JRPGs because of the over the top emo-shit which plagues a lot of the character development for me. Xenoblade Chronicles, which I bought on a whim because it was being highly touted on the SA forums, is for the original Wii and the American version is very hard to find. I have it. In fact, last night, I finally dusted off my Wii U, fired in a few batteries for the Wii mote and plugged in my classic controller, and I was back at it. For those that have not played it, your dreams are about to come true.

Xenoblade Chronicles is announced for the US - New 3DS's only

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D Gets April 2015 Release Date - IGN

Now there is a big kicker here. The game itself can only be ran on the newly announced 3DS systems because of a faster CPU which can handle the game. So if you are on the fence about whether to get a 3DS, this may be the kicker once this comes out in the US. If you already have a 3DS, it may push you to trade in for the newer model if you are a heavy user. Me? I am a light user of the 3DS, and since I have the original on my Wii (It upscales decently enough on my Wii U - Not as good as dolphin obviously, but much easier to get going) I won't be making a purchase.

But now... the bigger news I am sure a lot of you know about if you are fans.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Trailer (Wii U - Nintnedo Direct) - YouTube

So there are two reasons for this thread. Talk about how awesome the original Xenoblade Chronicles was and if you have not played it, you need too. Whether on Dolphin or your Wii or your Wii U. And to discuss the other two titles. I am very fired up that the sequel will hit sometime this year, and that's saying a lot because I rarely get fired up for games anymore given the market these days.

Here is a video of Dolphin running this in 1080p if you have the time to mess with settings and what not and play it on your PC.

Dolphin Emulator 4.0 | Xenoblade Chronicles [1080p HD] | Nintendo Wii - YouTube

If you have never heard of this game before, it gives you a quick overview of what to expect.

What I like about Xenoblade over traditional JRPG's which before this, I think the last one I played was Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1, is combat, storyline, character depth, music, and depth of character development. The game really has everything going for it - and also what I like the most is not having to deal with an annoying as fuck character. You know, like when you are watching Jurassic Park 3 and within about 3 minutes you are hoping that Tea Leoni not only gets destroyed and eaten by a dinosaur, but by every dinosaur in Costa Rica. The graphics even on the Wii U from the disc are nothing to shake a stick at, and the controls are fairly easy to master. There is a large side questing system with plenty to do, a collection system, a trade system with random items/rares available across random NPC's across the world, a deep story line, and a good gem crafting system. An affinity system which allows you to gain reputation with NPC's. The affinity system is complex. Here is how it works.

Affinity - Xenoblade Wiki

If you want to find an actual retail copy on the Wii, be prepared to pay around $70+ for a copy on ebay. They are hard to find. Otherwise, I know you can download the ROM and play it on Dolphin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm always looking for games to play, especially during travel (on long plane rides). I love the soundtrack of Xenoblade and have listened to it for a few years (I think?). Is this related at all to Xenogears?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Loosely but not directly, I believe, as the original rights and what-not for Xenogears stayed with Square (?) when the creator left and Xenosaga was Namco.

I just got my Zelda 3DS so am sad I'd need to upgrade to a new one for Chronicles. Is it on the Wii U through the store like other Wii games?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Loosely but not directly, I believe, as the original rights and what-not for Xenogears stayed with Square (?) when the creator left and Xenosaga was Namco.

I just got my Zelda 3DS so am sad I'd need to upgrade to a new one for Chronicles. Is it on the Wii U through the store like other Wii games?
Nope. And I have no idea why. Instead of cashing in on all the people that would actually purchase not only a Wii U and this game on the E-Shop if it meant they didn't have to pay $80+ for a copy on Ebay, they are releasing the game for the new 3DS. Their marketing is very messed up over there. Instead, to play it, E-Shop would make sense if they did that but if you do not have a way to find a cheap copy, download the ROM and play it on Dolphin and wait for the sequel on the Wii U.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Wait...I think I am in Intrinsic's boat. I bought the limited edition LoZ 3DS for "Between Two Worlds". Are you saying that won't be able to play Xenoblade? Omggggg. x_x

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Nintendo can fuck right off if they think I'm buying ANOTHER 3DS after having just bought one last December. I'd be more than willing to buy the game through their store for the Wii U. Horrible marketing strategy.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nope. And I have no idea why. Instead of cashing in on all the people that would actually purchase not only a Wii U and this game on the E-Shop if it meant they didn't have to pay $80+ for a copy on Ebay, they are releasing the game for the new 3DS. Their marketing is very messed up over there. Instead, to play it, E-Shop would make sense if they did that but if you do not have a way to find a cheap copy, download the ROM and play it on Dolphin and wait for the sequel on the Wii U.
They JUST announced the first digital Wii game for the Wii U (Mario Galaxy 2), it's just not something they have done for any game until now.

But I'm pretty sure GameStop has the right to print Xenoblade Chronicles discs (they did a reprint a couple years ago) - they were the exclusive retailer. They show up as "Pre-Owned" in their system but it looks like most GameStops in my area have 1-3 copies for ~59$.

Yeah, Nintendo can fuck right off if they think I'm buying ANOTHER 3DS after having just bought one last December. I'd be more than willing to buy the game through their store for the Wii U. Horrible marketing strategy.
The 3DS version literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the New 3DS hardware with a better cpu - they stated that when they first announced it. Not much room for bitching here.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
But I'm pretty sure GameStop has the right to print Xenoblade Chronicles discs (they did a reprint a couple years ago) - they were the exclusive retailer. They show up as "Pre-Owned" in their system but it looks like most GameStops in my area have 1-3 copies for ~59$.
Here in MN there are two stores around 55311. Hutchinson which is 45 miles away, and Rice Lake Wisconsin - 85 miles.

The 3DS version literally wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the New 3DS hardware with a better cpu - they stated that when they first announced it. Not much room for bitching here.
Very true. Even the ROM running in Dolphin sucks up a lot of resources to run in 1080p. But they should be getting this game up on the E-Shop for Wii U owners as soon as they can, although one has to wonder if there is now a Gamestop licensing issue to do that.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Very true. Even the ROM running in Dolphin sucks up a lot of resources to run in 1080p. But they should be getting this game up on the E-Shop for Wii U owners as soon as they can, although one has to wonder if there is now a Gamestop licensing issue to do that.
Not getting a new 3ds (have the golden Zelda one). Never played much on it except Zelda and Bravely Default, so not justified to get a new one for one game.

Been thinking about a Wii U though, for Bayonetta 2, but been holding off because I hardly ever used the original Wii. Gave it away, then they released Xenoblade, so never played it on the Wii. Been playing it for a bit on the PC using Dolphin, but the sound and game still stutters randomly. Not been able to configure it right.

If an updated version was released on the Wii U, that + Bayonetta 2 would probably make me want to get one. What I played of Xenoblade made me really want more of it, but the complete freeze in sound/movement for 1-2 seconds every 15-30 seconds makes it a chore to play.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dolphin has been improved a lot in the past few months from what I read, so it probably doesn't stutter near as much. Unless you meant you've been playing it recently.

Anyway Wii U will be worth it just because of the new Xenoblade.

New video they released today which for some reason wasn't linked here even though thread was bumped?

Those faces though.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Would love to play this but I'll be fucked if I'm going to buy another handheld - I play my 3ds obsessively but I just got it this summer. I might just buy a Wii and get Xenoblade on that. It seems to be available at the local used bookstore all the time.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Dolphin has been improved a lot in the past few months from what I read, so it probably doesn't stutter near as much. Unless you meant you've been playing it recently.
Really? Guess I should give it another go then. The version (4.0) I have is compiled sept 2013 it says. Downloaded it around july / august of last year though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really? Guess I should give it another go then. The version (4.0) I have is compiled sept 2013 it says. Downloaded it around july / august of last year though.
I haven't tested it but I read like some news on Reddit that said it massively improved in the last year, they fixed a lot of issues they had and found new ways to do things and what not, some games that didn't even run now run fine and shit, so yeah should be better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
playlist link
[1080p] Xenoblade Chronicles Title Screen - YouTube

xenoblade chronicles all cutscenes in japanese, music/soundtrack is amazing, and i didn't even play this fucking game, just watched my wife play for hundreds of hours.

oh and for you noobs, same guys does it in english too if you want the shittier voices.
playlist link
[1080p] Xenoblade Chronicles Title Screen - YouTube

NOW, i have to buy a wii-u (haven't bought next gen yet) is the current wii-u prices 300bucks?, i see refurbished for around 230ish straight from nintendo.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh, well same thing, new trailer should be in new thread.
It was, I just linked it as a direct link and didn't embed it.

Everyone loves to kill me when I do that
smile.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got this game working awesome on Dolphin, took forever to figure it out. But then I lost interest for a few weeks about a third of the way through and wiped my computer and don't want to set that shit back up.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
NOW, i have to buy a wii-u (haven't bought next gen yet) is the current wii-u prices 300bucks?, i see refurbished for around 230ish straight from nintendo.
Yeah you can get a new Wii U with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land bundled from Gamestop/Best Buy for $299. The time to buy was last month where they had some pretty good deals for the system (I never paid a lot of attention since I already own one). I think one would save $50 but the sale is gone anyway.