Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Part of me feels bad for the theaters with the ass fucking this virus and various governors have thrown them. And then I remember they charge me like $8 for a fountain soda and I'm luck enjoy your ass fucking you greedy bastards.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
Part of me feels bad for the theaters with the ass fucking this virus and various governors have thrown them. And then I remember they charge me like $8 for a fountain soda and I'm luck enjoy your ass fucking you greedy bastards.

Cargo shorts and women's purses my son

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Cargo shorts and women's purses my son

The stupidest thing I did in a theater was I had some fried chicken wings, and I wanted them, so I just put the wings in my pockets and brought them in. Fucking disgusting lol, literally the fried chicken right in my pocket. That was decades ago (but not as many decades as Chuckzombi has lived!). Nowadays I just put a large flask full of whiskey in my pocket and bring it in, I'll buy their overpriced diet coke, pour 4-6 ounces out and fill it with my whiskey. Yum!

• 5Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Cinemark is based here in Dallas. I hope they manage to survive this. If only because they're the closest theater to my house and have an IMAX screen. They're also the nearest place to get a funnel cake, which is also important.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
and AMC has said they will not show Universal movies anymore lol

So I hear.

AMC Says It Won’t Play Universal Films Anymore

Going forward, AMC will not license any Universal movies in any of our 1,000 theatres globally on these terms.

Accordingly, we want to be absolutely clear, so that there is no ambiguity of any kind. AMC believes that with this proposed action to go to the home and theatres simultaneously, Universal is breaking the business model and dealings between our two companies. It assumes that we will meekly accept a reshaped view of how studios and exhibitors should interact, with zero concern on Universal’s part as to how its actions affect us. It also presumes that Universal in fact can have its cake and eat it too, that Universal film product can be released to the home and theatres at the same time, without modification to the current economic arrangements between us.

• 1Mic Drop

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That seems a great way to tell movie makers to just do vod. If they can make 100 million without dealing with movie theaters then why bother.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Universal announced today that trolls world tour made more in 3 weeks of home release than trolls made in five month theatrical

I‘ll be more interested in how these numbers work out when everyone isn’t forced to stay home and bored out of their minds.

Personally I’m not really a fan of the theatre experience because people talking, technicians fuck up and leave lights on, sticky floors, expensive. I’ve had some good times there, the loud speakers and giant screen can be fun. If they start releasing at home though maybe I can get more interest from the wife in finishing our basement.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I mean Trolls made a ton of money at a beginning of a very unique time. No competition and people dying for something to watch. seems odd to draw strong performance ques into the future on that.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Seems a bit fucking stupid on the part of AMC, this change has been inevitable for some time. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot so be it.

Cybsled

Universal announced today that trolls world tour made more in 3 weeks of home release than trolls made in five month theatrical
I mean Trolls made a ton of money at a beginning of a very unique time. No competition and people dying for something to watch. seems odd to draw strong performance ques into the future on that.

No parent wants to watch shit like this in a theater. Being able to watch it at home means the kid can watch it and the parent doesn’t have to suffer through it, plus kids are stuck at home and bored.

• 3Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I guess in the "Casualties of Covid" list we should seriously be thinking that "Theaters" might be on it. Especially since if they now realize direct to streaming could actually be more profitable for the production houses....

Welcome to being the new horse drawn buggy!

Because to be fair, we have a nice big screen 4K screen here at home, very comfortable chairs, nice sound system, an air popper for popcorn and real butter... The only thing I'm missing is funnel cakes. heh As long as the cost is comparable to the cost of the theater ticket for Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Consider we shouldn't want theaters to die. If they die then nothing stops the studios from charging 30 or 40 bucks for a "first run" movie. We need that competition to keep prices in check.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Chinese owned AMC can go fuck themselves for attacking westerners darling NBC Universal.

It’s like they are attacking America itself.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
i know when shit opens back up i am not renewing my A-List sub, I have enjoyed it now for like 4 years paying $20/mo to see pretty much every IMAX and Dolby movie but until I am vaccinated up the ass against covid and bat flu and cobra dick and VR herpes i am not gonna be going to movies, concerts, flying, eating at restaurants, etc. To be fair I never did any of those things except for special occasions but going weekly to theaters was my one vice. Now it'll just be shooting guns and getting better at it.

i think a recent poll said something like 40% of Americans will venture out once places open up, 40% will NOT until a vaccine is developed, and 20% are unsure. I don't see how any of these businesses survive if 40% of their clientele have vanished for the next year, at least.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I do not believe for one second that 40% of the population will hide away indoors for a full year. That is not going to happen. I'm already seeing a lot of cracks in the fences in LA when the weather jumped up from 65-75/80.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Consider we shouldn't want theaters to die. If they die then nothing stops the studios from charging 30 or 40 bucks for a "first run" movie. We need that competition to keep prices in check.
I think the market would keep that in check, if they charged too much then people will wait like they do now, it is already way more than 40 to take my family to the theater, so that is actually still a deal, it is an even bigger deal since I don't pay for movies at home anyway

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider

I would like to see them try. Torrents here I come!

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't want any business to fail on general principal, but I'd be a lot more saddened by this if every theater in my area hadn't gone to those suck ass leather chairs. If I wanted leather fucking seats, I'd buy them for my house. Shitty leather too, I can't even tell for sure it's not vinyl. The one that the wife and I used to go to every weekend put in chairs where you couldn't even put the arms up and cuddle.

• 1Picard