Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I miss drive-ins. They are really bad business models (can only run a few hours a day) but I enjoyed them except in the summer with heat and the mosquitoes. We used to get those little swirls of stuff you burned to keep the mosquitoes away.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The stupidest thing I did in a theater was I had some fried chicken wings, and I wanted them, so I just put the wings in my pockets and brought them in. Fucking disgusting lol, literally the fried chicken right in my pocket. That was decades ago (but not as many decades as Chuckzombi has lived!). Nowadays I just put a large flask full of whiskey in my pocket and bring it in, I'll buy their overpriced diet coke, pour 4-6 ounces out and fill it with my whiskey. Yum!
me IRL
giphy.gif

• 2Worf

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Consider we shouldn't want theaters to die. If they die then nothing stops the studios from charging 30 or 40 bucks for a "first run" movie. We need that competition to keep prices in check.
Except people might not pay 30-40 bucks to watch something at home.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
$20 seems like a pretty great price. I'd certainly pay that for 4k theater releases from home instead of going to the theater.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
$20 seems like a pretty great price. I'd certainly pay that for 4k theater releases from home instead of going to the theater.

Those are great options. None of these companies can learn from the past. Torrenting (wow super surprised autocorrect got that right) when it came out mainstream via Napster / Limewire forced a whole industry model shift, and for the better. Convenience absolutely has a price tag and the reason I no longer worry about downloading movies and music is because my time just isn’t worth it when I can endlessly stream content for $8.99 / month or RedBox a DVD for $2 while I’m buying groceries. Granted there is the random film here and there I still Exodus / stream. But if Amazon has a 4K stream of Deep Rising for $2.99 I’m all fuck it why bother. We just want content and not hoops.

Well that and not the market segmentation for all the different services which is driving me back to more Russian streams.

• 2Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Have always been able to walk into theaters with food. Just say you are diabetic and they don’t stop you.

• 1Like
  • 1Blown

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
$20 to rent at home vs $20 to own later down the line. Yeah no thanks. A new golden age of piracy gonna happen though. High-def rips the day of theatrical release.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
$20 to rent at home vs $20 to own later down the line. Yeah no thanks. A new golden age of piracy gonna happen though. High-def rips the day of theatrical release.

Pretty much. Think my gal and I average 2 theater trips a year. Why bother when I can pick up the DVD for $10 later on. Now that Star Wars and Avengers shit is done for a bit, probably going to average 0 theater trips a year.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is just not much i want to see anymore. i think in 2019 i saw maybe 4 or 5 new films and i have had access to all of them for free. well, cept Rambo 5 i paid for because Sly.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If I go to the theater it's for something I think is worth seeing on the premium screen, otherwise why bother? I'll watch it in some format at home.

Avengers, John Wick 3, Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse are all I saw from the top 50 box office in 2019. I streamed a hell of a lot more just on Netflix and free Disney+

• 4Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Day of theatrical release, fuck that, the new trolls was up for those looking for it a week before it was supposed to release to vod.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I'll miss about the theatre experience is being able to go with buddies. Movies are way better when you get to discuss them with the homies after.

• 4Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Guys theaters are going to be OK. They got this shit figured out. My local theater just sent me an email letting me know I can pick up their shitty overprices concessions curbside and take them home to watch movies.

Lets all breathe a sigh of relief now.

• 7Worf
  • 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
i know when shit opens back up i am not renewing my A-List sub, I have enjoyed it now for like 4 years paying $20/mo to see pretty much every IMAX and Dolby movie but until I am vaccinated up the ass against covid and bat flu and cobra dick and VR herpes i am not gonna be going to movies, concerts, flying, eating at restaurants, etc. To be fair I never did any of those things except for special occasions but going weekly to theaters was my one vice. Now it'll just be shooting guns and getting better at it.

i think a recent poll said something like 40% of Americans will venture out once places open up, 40% will NOT until a vaccine is developed, and 20% are unsure. I don't see how any of these businesses survive if 40% of their clientele have vanished for the next year, at least.
You do know the typical length of time it takes for a vaccine to receive full FDA licensure? Have fun...

spronk

FPS noob
You do know the typical length of time it takes for a vaccine to receive full FDA licensure? Have fun...

yeah obviously we are all hoping the virus just burns itself out and vanishes like covid-sars-1 did back in 2003 or H1N1 did back in 2009 but its just too soon to tell, movie theaters are definitely not on the top of my "this is worth risking an infection for" list.

now if Charlize Theron texted me and said she has covid but wants some fuck well then thats a risk i will take

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Guys theaters are going to be OK. They got this shit figured out. My local theater just sent me an email letting me know I can pick up their shitty overprices concessions curbside and take them home to watch movies.

Lets all breathe a sigh of relief now.

did they really?????? Lmao if that’s true. “Buy our M&Ms doe $5!”

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Those M&Ms have been sitting there since early 2020 too. Not going to be the freshest batch.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Those M&Ms have been sitting there since early 2020 too. Not going to be the freshest batch.

Don't tell them that. They'll think the candy is 'vintage' and charge even more!