Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

Qhue

Trump's Staff
$30M in Disney+ premiere access spend for Jungle Cruise...

I think this absolutely validates the premiere streaming home model. It seems logical that people would be willing to shell out shekels for something like Black Widow owing to it's event-status as part of the MCU, but Jungle Cruise? That sort of family film is traditionally associated with 'get the kids out of the house' family excursions rather than being something people actively sought out. If you can get people to buy that sort of flick then anything is possible.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah especially since JC only made $34m in theaters, out of which Disney would see under $20m of that. While they'll see closer to $25m of the $30 D+ (if purchased through Apple TV, Amazon fire, etc those companies keep 15% vs 40% theatrical).

I think long term it just means movie budgets have to shrink a bit, movies have to assume they are being sold to netflix, disney+, amazon, etc for $100-150m max and budget accordingly. Hopefully more and more $30-50m movies are made, thats a pretty sweet spot where you have to be much more careful of CGI and not just vomit it on screen to try and cover up a shit script.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah especially since JC only made $34m in theaters, out of which Disney would see under $20m of that. While they'll see closer to $25m of the $30 D+ (if purchased through Apple TV, Amazon fire, etc those companies keep 15% vs 40% theatrical).

I think long term it just means movie budgets have to shrink a bit, movies have to assume they are being sold to netflix, disney+, amazon, etc for $100-150m max and budget accordingly. Hopefully more and more $30-50m movies are made, thats a pretty sweet spot where you have to be much more careful of CGI and not just vomit it on screen to try and cover up a shit script.
it really means that piracy is here to stay and no matter what thy do, films will continue to lose money. especially in this Depression 2.0.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Well this is disappointing. We already talked among my people and we don't want to go back to fighting with traffic, movie schedules, crowds etc. Would be happy to throw them some bones for the convenience of watching at home, but if they don't want my money then so be it.

spronk

FPS noob
its actually a win for consumers, previously it was theatrical 90 day exclusive, then 90 day paid VOD, THEN it would hit streaming services and UHD. So thats a full six months from release to cheap at home, high quality - VODs tended to be meh quality with no extras.

Now its theatrical for 45 days exclusive, then straight to VOD *AND* streaming. Its Disney, Paramount (to Paramount+), WB (to HBO Max). While it was pretty easy to say i'll go see a movie in theaters if the only other high quality option is waiting 180 days, now waiting 45 days for a 4k stream or torrent is a pretty reasonable expectation.

Like Free Guy looks funny and I definitely want to see it, but I have no problem waiting 45 days for it to show up on D+ or whatever.

Obviously the past year model of simultaneous theatrical+streaming was amazing and the best, but it was pretty unrealistic it was gonna stick to that. That more or less kills theaters. I think long term they are dead anyways, movies are mostly shit, younger people tend to watch TV shows and streamers and a lot less movies, and the US movie experience is still pretty meh.

2019 will likely be forever the US movie box office peak. go Thanos!

spronk

FPS noob

its weird family movies are being completely sucked out of theaters, which is a double blow to theaters since families are the ones that buy all the useless shit like popcorn and tons of overpriced drinks. free guy, black widow, etc appeal to single people (men) who don't buy as much overpriced theater crap

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

its weird family movies are being completely sucked out of theaters, which is a double blow to theaters since families are the ones that buy all the useless shit like popcorn and tons of overpriced drinks. free guy, black widow, etc appeal to single people (men) who don't buy as much overpriced theater crap
Probably because the movie studios don't get any of the money from the extra crap and they know parents are desperate for something new to sit their kids in front of for a few minutes of quiet. I'll sail the seas for it, but I know tons of parents who would rather spend extra to have it at home rather than sit through it at the theater with their rats and everyone else's shit kids too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Probably because the movie studios don't get any of the money from the extra crap and they know parents are desperate for something new to sit their kids in front of for a few minutes of quiet. I'll sail the seas for it, but I know tons of parents who would rather spend extra to have it at home rather than sit through it at the theater with their rats and everyone else's shit kids too.
My teen daughter and friends have gone to a couple of movies. They honestly don't care whats playing, they just go to... go.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
My teen daughter and friends have gone to a couple of movies. They honestly don't care whats playing, they just go to... go.
I can see that with teens, but with my 8 and 6 yo I would much rather just put them In front of a movie at home which frees me up for an hour or two to get some shit done. And I used to actually enjoy taking them to the movies but fuck other people's kids and the over priced concessions.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
me: hmm, i wouldn't mind seeing Dune in IMAX before Eternals takes over all the screens, should i head back to theaters after so long

google news: check this out

vZMurH5.png

oh yeah, watching shit at home on my 77 OLED and 7.1 is way better

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the new Ghostbusters takes over the XD theaters I might be tempted to see that. I doubt I'll bother with the RE prequel and we'll see if they keep Spiderman for the holidays. So that leaves the Matrix as a toss up but expectations are low.

One room in my basement is a death trap for mice similar to those pictures. The wall extends parallel to the garage's foundation so if any do get in there's a good chance they will drop down and get stuck. Only hear scratching for a day or two until it goes silent.

spronk

FPS noob
matrix will be on HBO Max, the last WB movie doing simultaneous theater/hbo max

• 1Like

Goatface

• 1Like

Goatface

1677424748886.png

=

As admissions and concessions sales came up short of last year’s performance, Cinemark saw overall revenue fall to $599.7 million for the three months ended in December, compared with a year-earlier $666.7 million. The Texas-based exhibitor had 39.2 million patrons come through its cinemas during the latest quarter, down on the 48.1 million customers that came through the turnstiles in the same period of 2021.
The cinema chain posted a fourth-quarter loss of $98.8 million, compared with a year-ago profit of $6.4 million, which had marked the first profitable quarter for Cinemark since the start of the pandemic.

=

during this year cinemark is rolling out new stuff, uniforms, logo, etc. guess they are going to eliminate some more workers
1677425019616.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't go to Cinemark to eat, but their primary revenue is getting the portion of people with less pocket change to pay for already marked up condiments.