Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
i remember the first time i saw a picture of harry knowles i was amazed that a fat fuck could be so culturally important/read, and realized the internet was gonna change the world

i wonder if he ever lost weight

Cybsled

I vaguely recall some article by him where he claimed to have worked towards that on that site, but that would have been like 15+ years ago

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is still coming out in May apparently, although given the state of theaters, the crappy new voice, and shitty quick cut editting of this trailer i can't see it doing well

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This should really turn-it-around for exhibitors....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think Godzilla v Kong set a precedence. if these other studios have pressure on them to put their movies in theaters now, then they will.

spronk

FPS noob
Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

i think Godzilla v Kong set a precedence. if these other studios have pressure on them to put their movies in theaters now, then they will.

They're going to be more interested in trends, but I think studios did like what they saw in terms of streaming exclusivity as well. It's going to come down to what is most profitable and right now, a mixed model is going to work best for them. I don't see that changing until box office returns begin to get back to what they used to be. I presume Warner Brothers have been pleased with the traffic being driven to HBO Max and tentpole films are a major part of that.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They're going to be more interested in trends, but I think studios did like what they saw in terms of streaming exclusivity as well. It's going to come down to what is most profitable and right now, a mixed model is going to work best for them. I don't see that changing until box office returns begin to get back to what they used to be. I presume Warner Brothers have been pleased with the traffic being driven to HBO Max and tentpole films are a major part of that.
well, GvK made 350 million dollars in theaters as of this past sunday. they made their money back with just the China box office. theater revenue is still there. it depends on how "safe" people feel about going. it seems like outside this country its fine, not every nation is pushing the plandemic, they rather have an economy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
HBO Max currently makes $600 million a month in sub revenue, or $7.2 billion a year. Thats at 40m subs, they have a goal of 150m subs in the next 4 years which would pull down $2 billion a month or $24 billion a year. Netflix and Disney make even more money from streaming, but HBO Max isn't even available in most countries yet. You are not dependent on hits either, as long as you release enough mediocre shit to keep people subbed you make money, and you keep 90% of the money vs less than 40% with theater box office.

Theater revenue is absolute chump change compared to these numbers and the goal always will be to drive sub revenue, its what Netflix and Disney are all about and Apple, Universal, Amazon, Warner Bros wants their part of the pie. Whatever they are saying in public is all a lie to not get theaters to shut them out, the eventual goal is to release everything on streamer services as exclusives and any theater revenue is just a nice bonus but not really part of any plan.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

last i heard most studios only get like 25% of China box office totals and only a few like Disney get over 30%

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The average for domestic box office is 60% studio / 40% theater (over the entire film run) but in reality it depends on how hot the movie is expected to be and how many weeks it has been in theaters. Studio cut for opening week blockbusters can be as high 80% or 90% but the percentage declines in future weeks. That's why theaters push concessions so much the majority of their money is made from food and drinks rather than 10-60% of a ticket price.

This also a secondary reason why Thursday night showings became a thing, not only to pad out opening weekend numbers but maximize the amount the studios get in the highest % week.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Apple, Universal, Amazon, Warner Bros wants their part of the pie.
Apple.

Hue hue hue.

I got a year free. There's nothing on there. A few dumb shows and that's it. I expected a slim start, but it is a complete failure.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is still coming out in May apparently, although given the state of theaters, the crappy new voice, and shitty quick cut editting of this trailer i can't see it doing well

the experimental soundtrack, and the trap music might be immersion breaking to some people as well.

it's a very modern sounding movie. They went with actual trap music over a lot of other genres and derivatives of rap music. Interesting choice.

Listen to that scene where Chris Rock is walking into see Sam Jackson, that sounds like it wasn't added for the trailer but that Sam Jackson's apartment had the music playing or a neighbor. That means the music is in the movie.

spronk

FPS noob
the top grossing movies (worldwide) of 2020 list came out today and it turns out the top movie is an anime movie, the next 2 are chinese, and 5 of the top 10 are from asia lol. interesting year, 2020

screenshot2021-05-13aqak1u.png

the first movie is Demon Slayer, the series is on netflix i'm watching it and its pretty good

• 2Like

Goatface

Kimetsu no Yaiba would have been 16th in 2019, 19th is 2018, 20th in 2017, 17th in 2016

this movie has supposedly already earned $840mil in china this year, less than $2mill elsewhere
1621271811628.png

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Referencing the last page, I had completely forgotten about Aint it Cool. Man I went there all the time 20 years ago.

• 2Like