Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Currently in Arizona, which is an odd place for movies. It's all geriatrics who don't go to movies after 3pm, so theatres are pretty empty... But I've lived in Wisconsin (just south of Milwaukee, as well as a city near green bay) Minneapolis, and Syracuse, NY.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't know if y'all have really bad luck or if I have good luck but I have NEVER had a bad movie experience due to other people. The only time people are on their phones is during the trailers or the credits, no one is shouting or being obnoxious... I've just never had a problem
it might depend on your area or the time of day in which you see movies. if you go midday to early evening in an area with lots of people, you will get little assholes fucking around the entire film. less dense area and you do 10pm or later showings then you might be ok. my worst theater experience was Return of The King. i had a crying baby behind me who also was coughing like crazy. it ruined the movie and i got sick as a fucking dog afterwards. the retards who look at their phone the whole time dont bother me. i dont even care if people talk duiring a movie or clap at the end or during big scenes. that just goes with the territory.

but the really little kids who cant sit still or the fucking asshole parents who bring them to R rated or hard PG 13 rated movies boggles my fucking mind. it makes my dad instincts want to kick in and go over and bitch slap mom and dad for bringing their kids to see this shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The stupidest thing I did in a theater was I had some fried chicken wings, and I wanted them, so I just put the wings in my pockets and brought them in. Fucking disgusting lol, literally the fried chicken right in my pocket. That was decades ago (but not as many decades as Chuckzombi has lived!). Nowadays I just put a large flask full of whiskey in my pocket and bring it in, I'll buy their overpriced diet coke, pour 4-6 ounces out and fill it with my whiskey. Yum!

Wrap chicken wings in tin foil. Problem solved.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I go to the theater it's for something I think is worth seeing on the premium screen, otherwise why bother? I'll watch it in some format at home.

Avengers, John Wick 3, Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse are all I saw from the top 50 box office in 2019. I streamed a hell of a lot more just on Netflix and free Disney+

Bladerunner 2049 is the first and last time many of us were in an IMAX/theater.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if y'all have really bad luck or if I have good luck but I have NEVER had a bad movie experience due to other people. The only time people are on their phones is during the trailers or the credits, no one is shouting or being obnoxious... I've just never had a problem

some people are just more sensitive than others. My wife has had a bad time in theaters because of other people 10x more often than me. Only thing that's ever bothered me was a fat sweaty dude sitting in the seat next to me. We can't have 2 of us trying to share an armrest. But part of it might be that I'm large enough to make people think twice about sitting next to me. My wife is pleasant to sit next to.

There was one time were kids were throwing popcorn and that almost got me. Then I suddenly remembered that I didn't give a fuck.

If I dislike a theater it's because the AC is set too high or the seats suck. The volume used to bother me but I carry earplugs now.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
some people are just more sensitive than others. My wife has had a bad time in theaters because of other people 10x more often than me. Only thing that's ever bothered me was a fat sweaty dude sitting in the seat next to me. We can't have 2 of us trying to share an armrest. But part of it might be that I'm large enough to make people think twice about sitting next to me. My wife is pleasant to sit next to.

There was one time were kids were throwing popcorn and that almost got me. Then I suddenly remembered that I didn't give a fuck.

If I dislike a theater it's because the AC is set too high or the seats suck. The volume used to bother me but I carry earplugs now.
yeah, now that i think about it, i DO remember going to see a movie and this dude turned his phone on and just lifted it up to the screen. under normal circumstances i probably would have been infuriated, but the movie sucked, so the whole thing was funny instead of irritating.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
yeah, now that i think about it, i DO remember going to see a movie and this dude turned his phone on and just lifted it up to the screen. under normal circumstances i probably would have been infuriated, but the movie sucked, so the whole thing was funny instead of irritating.

You should have photobombed his bootleg. If you MST3k'd it up properly it might have been the only version of the movie worth watching.

Goatface

AMC Theatres, the world's biggest movie theater chain, said on Wednesday that it has "substantial doubt" it can remain in business after closing locations across the globe during the coronavirus pandemic.
The theater chain, which closed its theaters earlier this year, expects to have lost between $2.1 billion and $2.4 billion in the first quarter.
The company also said that its revenue fell to $941.5 million, which was down roughly 22% from $1.2 billion in the same quarter last year. This quarter, the situation has gotten substantially worse.

Anyone see the movie "The Last Picture Show"? Featuring a young Cybill Shepherd? The under-story of the film is about the birth of TV, and how it ruined the movie theater as the place everyone gathered and watched stuff together. It is set in some lazy western town, and the real action is the main story, but that underlying aspect (as captured in the name of the film of course) is really compelling stuff.

And now look. It's unavoidable it seems to me. And that sucks. Movie theaters, the whole history of movies and theaters, altered almost overnight because of the one-two of the internet and now the pandemic, on the canvas, count is at 5...
p4046_v_v8_aa.jpg

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It really would suck to see movie theaters go completely. I think it's inevitable at this point, but they are one of the last ties my buddies and I have to our best friend committing suicide. Half the time we go see bullshit movies just as a memory to him(he dragged us to a movie almost every week when he was alive).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
In the last month or two i've gone to drive-ins multiple times, for the first time in my life. They've been great wholesome experiences and now I feel a sense of urgency to enjoy them while I can.

Kind of mad that our once great culture is under attack from so many angles.

• 1Like
It really would suck to see movie theaters go completely. I think it's inevitable at this point, but they are one of the last ties my buddies and I have to our best friend committing suicide. Half the time we go see bullshit movies just as a memory to him(he dragged us to a movie almost every week when he was alive).

That is heavy stuff, but you and your friends sound solid to me. Suicide sucks almost more than anything else.

I'm also thinking of the lives people lived in and at these places. Couples filling up seats for a rom-com, raging laughter, the whole social aspect. First dates! My god how many first dates.

I predict cult movie houses will do just fine -- fear not, across the country, somewhere, at the midnight show, the good Dr. will descend in his little elevator and declare...

Nothing can stop that. Midnight theaters ftw!

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Anyone see the movie "The Last Picture Show"? Featuring a young Cybill Shepherd? The under-story of the film is about the birth of TV, and how it ruined the movie theater as the place everyone gathered and watched stuff together. It is set in some lazy western town, and the real action is the main story, but that underlying aspect (as captured in the name of the film of course) is really compelling stuff.

And now look. It's unavoidable it seems to me. And that sucks. Movie theaters, the whole history of movies and theaters, altered almost overnight because of the one-two of the internet and now the pandemic, on the canvas, count is at 5...
View attachment 274983
Young Cybil Shepherd had one of the prettiest faces I've ever seen.

• 3Solidarity
And she lived to tell about it! Hollywood chews up starlets. She seems to be doing fine these days, too.

That was her first film, she was Miss Teenage Memphis in 1966 though.

edit: back to topic. What do you think? If theaters are truly becoming obsolete as a profitable business, should the state subsidize non-profit theaters? Figure out how to keep the ticket prices low and the revenues local. Not huge places, unless we talking large cities. The reason I ask is I have seen a lot of cool, old theaters. And going to a theater like I am thinking about is always easy fun. It just is a damn shame to see that kind of public place disappear. Make them kind like public libraries, except with tickets and popcorn. Let AMC go out of business, plow down all the multiplexes. I do not think I ever "enjoyed" going to those places.

Last edited:
  • 1Barf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Theaters used to be tied to malls, now they're still usually tied to shopping centers and surrounding restaurants/businesses. But all of those are taking a hit and going out / spending will be down for the rest of the year. I don't think any of them are obsolete it's just they have smaller margins with no catastrophy disruption plans to stay afloat unless they own their property/building.

Maybe that's the lesson. Own don't lease, tell the holding businesses to fuck off and look to build elsewhere.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
amc is the closest theater chain by me, in a mall 20 screens
showcase is next closest.

we tended to go to the showcase theaters- and the food at the restaurants in 2 of them were pretty good though the one with the best food was a bit of a pain to get to (40 minute drive) but it has a Davio's attached.

the theater in salem ma just announced it is remaining closes (was not that good of a theatre)
not sure about the one in swampscott (was attached to a restaurant-good food)

spronk

FPS noob
amc is supposed to announce opening date tomorrow, regal soon after i imagine

i'm pretty happy just watching movies at home though

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Good riddance to big chain theaters. Let them go the way of the drive-ins. Drive-ins are mostly extinct, there are still some here and there. So theaters will be around, too. They'll be more niche and something to do when you're looking for nostalgia or a fun night out with friends, like drive-ins are nowadays.

The sooner all movie releases move directly to streaming, the better.

• 3Like