Theater Chain Death Watch? Chapter 11s inc

Haus

<Silver Donator>
did they really?????? Lmao if that’s true. “Buy our M&Ms doe $5!”

The Cinemark theaters actually have a refillable cup and popcorn bucket you can get and get refills for what, by movie theater standards, are the bargain rate of $3 each. Which works for me since I do enjoy popcorn with movies.

Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus is doing Keto, so she just loads her purse up with keto friendly snacks since they have none.

Goatface

local news talking about some of the reopening plans, looks like some places are going to limit to 25% of capacity, with at least 4 seats between groups of seats and less screenings per day (2-3). at least some said they would only charge $5 till new movies start coming out. just to note, my area and extended region never had a mandatory mask plan and stores had capacity suggestions. (Walmart and some grocery stores counted, lowe's didn't), still a week or 2, before they decide to let them open.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Movie theaters either need a massive overhaul or they need to go the way of Blockbuster and get super shit on for not adapting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Movie theaters either need a massive overhaul or they need to go the way of Blockbuster and get super shit on for not adapting.

That is an appropriate way of putting it. Blockbuster existed because people enjoyed having access to a movie when they wanted it. In this day and age of computers and business, it is much easier to find the movies online or to just stream them and thus Blockbuster lost revenue.

The movie experience has not really changed all that much. Gimmicks have been attempted(3D) but nothing has really stepped up the process from a large screen and good sound. What hurts them now is that people can more afford large screens in their home. 60 inch televisions are cheap. If you want an 8k resolution 80 inch TV, you can find those for around 2k now. People went to the theaters for air conditioning and to enjoy a bigger than life screen that allowed for a more enveloping experience. That no longer is a driving force. What really adds to the negative experience is the cost. The only thing keeping the theater going is big budget movies that people want to watch the first day they come out. Netflix, Amazon and others have shown that movies can be made for straight to home viewing and apparently retain a profit.

I believe that the movie theater might be going the way of video rental stores. The Virus just might be the last nail to finish the coffin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think theaters will need to scale down some. when i was a kid there were 2 theaters in my town. one was a single screen and the other was a double. they went out of business when the 20 movie megaplexes started dotting the area. i enjoyed going to see the one big movie they had to offer. each theater had their own quirks and were near restaurants you could just walk over to afterward

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Movies are going downhill because I have to pay a fuck ton of money to take my whole family especially if you buy any kind of snacks (I tend to sneak the majority of my shit in), combined with a generation of fuck heads who you want to kill because they are either on their phones turning the theatre bright as the sun or they simply wont shut the fuck up because they were raised by asshole parents who never back handed the shit out of them.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
That is an appropriate way of putting it. Blockbuster existed because people enjoyed having access to a movie when they wanted it. In this day and age of computers and business, it is much easier to find the movies online or to just stream them and thus Blockbuster lost revenue.

The movie experience has not really changed all that much. Gimmicks have been attempted(3D) but nothing has really stepped up the process from a large screen and good sound. What hurts them now is that people can more afford large screens in their home. 60 inch televisions are cheap. If you want an 8k resolution 80 inch TV, you can find those for around 2k now. People went to the theaters for air conditioning and to enjoy a bigger than life screen that allowed for a more enveloping experience. That no longer is a driving force. What really adds to the negative experience is the cost. The only thing keeping the theater going is big budget movies that people want to watch the first day they come out. Netflix, Amazon and others have shown that movies can be made for straight to home viewing and apparently retain a profit.

I believe that the movie theater might be going the way of video rental stores. The Virus just might be the last nail to finish the coffin.

For me, the best change so far with theaters was the addition of legitimate food and alcohol and better seating. We have two theaters now, one is the traditional type and we all refer to it as the shitty theater, and the other has the huge chairs with electric recline, food service, and alcohol. And the food is legitimately decent. Like the burger is totally fine, it's infinitely better than fast food. Good beers on draft, can get large beers (two at a time), and I can sneak in all the whiskey I want. So I can actually truly enjoy a movie there because I get good food, alcohol, and I'm not cramped in. The *only* reason I goto the other theater is if a movie is only showing there which is twice in a decade or so.

That being said, I have a home theater, and would love to be able to stream movies on opening day. I know yall don't agree, but I would gladly pay $100 to stream shit at my house opening day.

• 1Barf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
  • 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Clearly with the ease/availability of getting hi-def 80" home TV's and such, movie theaters need to go larger than life. 2000 foot screen, maximum capacity seating and only 1-2 screens in a building possible. Headphone jacks so you can block out the noise of anyone talking, seat tasers for anyone seen using a lightup device (phone, camera, whatever).

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Clearly with the ease/availability of getting hi-def 80" home TV's and such, movie theaters need to go larger than life. 2000 foot screen, maximum capacity seating and only 1-2 screens in a building possible. Headphone jacks so you can block out the noise of anyone talking, seat tasers for anyone seen using a lightup device (phone, camera, whatever).
so a nearly half mile wide screen? is the seating across the street in the parking garage?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Movies are going downhill because I have to pay a fuck ton of money to take my whole family especially if you buy any kind of snacks (I tend to sneak the majority of my shit in), combined with a generation of fuck heads who you want to kill because they are either on their phones turning the theatre bright as the sun or they simply wont shut the fuck up because they were raised by asshole parents who never back handed the shit out of them.
Yeah. So it's about 120 bucks for me to take my family and just get popcorn, drinks, and the movie. If we get actual food, like at the Alamo drafthouse cinema (i was told how great this is, it's fine, Chili's tier food at an upcharge) or the AMC garbage they call food, we're talking 150-180. Plus parking and other dumb shit. So I can expect to spent 150-200 bucks per movie we see, plus all the aggravation of the theater, and it's fucking gross. Those pleather seats that AMC had put in, every time we go they are gross and covered in popcorn and grease and other shit. Going to the theater used to be way cheaper, or it seemed cheaper.

If the worst thing to come from this economic situation we're in is that chain theaters die, we'll be quite lucky, and tbh I'll be fine, fuck all those places.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>

You forgot to add the other big detriment to going to the movie theater. All of the other movie goers. Especially if you go on a weekend evening at a theater located at a major mall in a metro area.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
When I was a kid this is how thesters were. Almost always a single giganto screen with balconys and ushers actually working in the theater with their shitty little flashlights trying to stop people from having sex in said balcony.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I grew up in a po dunk town with 1 theater that had one screen and most of the time we got movies only a few weeks before they hit vhs anyway, like 4 to 6 months after opening. We have a couple theaters near me now that don't let anyone under 21 in after 6pm and if I go without the Kids that is the way to do it, but honesy I maybe go 1 or 2 times a year and that is usually for the kids, would much rather watch at home.

Goatface

1589392187420.png
1589392276593.png

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Amazon owning a theater chain is treading to close to the old school anti trust monopoly bullshit of the studio era.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if y'all have really bad luck or if I have good luck but I have NEVER had a bad movie experience due to other people. The only time people are on their phones is during the trailers or the credits, no one is shouting or being obnoxious... I've just never had a problem