This thread is already derailed. Spanish train derails, kills 78

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Traveling twice the speed limit because it was running late!

Words fail me....

Izo

Tranny Chaser
TrainWreck1.gif

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've been doing nothing but working and haven't had a chance to watch the news. Only reason I knew about this was because someone posted it on my Facebook.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I was in Japan when this happened.

Amagasaki rail crash

Ten months before the crash, the young driver had overshot a stop and underwent strict punishment. He was harshly reprimanded and had to write reports explaining his actions. When he found himself in the same situation later, he over-compensated for time and jumped the tracks while going way faster than he should have been. 107 fatalities, 562 injured.
I remember that any time a train was running late, someone was waiting to give you a ticket apologizing for the train's lateness (so that you could prove to your boss that you weren't responsible for being late). They take that very seriously. Meanwhile, using the STM metro (in Montreal) is kind of a crapshoot as you never really know when the whole system will shut down for an indeterminate amount of time.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Why are humans still even driving these things? I mean, I can understand having a human there for braking, or watching the tracks into and out of stations...but shouldn't it be a computer controlling the speeds around things like curves and what not? Or at the very least, a computer recording "rule breaking" and alerting a higher up.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why are humans still even driving these things? I mean, I can understand having a human there for braking, or watching the tracks into and out of stations...but shouldn't it be a computer controlling the speeds around things like curves and what not? Or at the very least, a computer recording "rule breaking" and alerting a higher up.
^^ Has clearly never watched Terminator

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Railroad unions I here they make the Teamsters look like sissies.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this fucker must have been on some whacky shit
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...28pAEINunZp4GL
Nightmare on Dead Man Curve: Killer Spain train driver going 120 mph

By ANDY SOLTIS
From With Times of London, Post Wire Services
Last Updated: 8:15 AM, July 26, 2013
Posted: 12:34 AM, July 26, 2013

A panicked Spanish train driver shouted that he was going at more than twice the speed limit "and I'm going to derail!" - moments before his eight cars flew off the tracks.

At least 80 people died, including one American, in the horrific crash, which was captured on chilling video.

Spanish media reported that one of the two drivers was heard telling railroad officials "I'm going 190 [kilometers per hour]" - or about 120 mph - as he headed into a sharp bend where the speed limit is only 50 mph.

A government official said the Madrid-to-Ferrol train may even have been going as fast as 137 mph.

Speculation on what caused the crash centered on Francisco Jos? Garzon, one of the drivers. On Garzon's Facebook page, deleted hours after Wednesday's crash, a picture of a speedometer, apparently taken by Garzon inside a train cabin, showed the needle at 200 kph, or about 125 mph.

"Imagine what a rush it would be traveling alongside the civil guard [police], and passing them so that their speed traps go off, Ha ha," Garzon wrote.

The newspaper El Pais said one of the drivers was trapped in the cabin and called the closest rail station - about two miles away in Santiago de Compostela - by radio after the train hurtled off the rails and burst into flames.

"We're only human! We're only human!" he was quoted as saying. "I hope there are no dead because this will fall on my conscience."

The State Department said one US citizen died and five were injured.

A church in Arlington, Va., said that the woman who perished was Ana Maria Cordoba, an employee of their diocese.

Among those still hospitalized is Stephen Ward, 18, a Mormon missionary from Utah, who suffered a fractured vertebra in his neck, said his dad, Raymond Ward.

Ward said his son has told him he remembers a woman next to him being thrown across the train carriage and seeing bags fly.

Video footage from a security camera showed the train hurtling into a concrete wall at the side of the tracks as carriages jackknifed and the engine overturned. One carriage flew several yards into the air and landed on the other side of a high concrete barrier.

Almost 100 of the 247 people aboard were injured, and 35 of them, including four children, were in serious condition.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, a native of the northwestern town of Santiago de Compostela, toured the crash scene alongside rescue workers.

"For a native of Santiago, like me, this is the saddest day," said Rajoy, who declared Spain would observe a three-day period of mourning.

Spanish officials said Garzon, who is hospitalized, would be questioned as soon as possible. He worked for the state rail company, Renfe, for 30 of his 52 years.

Officials said he had driven the Madrid-Ferrol route for more than a year and had taken control of the train from a second driver about 65 miles before the crash.

Lemeran

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is a million reasons a human still drives them, no point in going into them. The technology exists and is being implemented to "fail safe" trains not running into each other or speeding. It has a number of issues and costs someone in the neighborhood of 50k per rail mile. My railroad has 20k miles of track, so it's a big cost and the railroads are doing all they can to avoid doing it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so wait a second, ON*STAR can literally shut a car off from almost anywhere but doing the same thing with a train going 3 times the speed limit would cost 50k pr rail mile? shiiit, might as well put GM in charge of the railroad.

iannis

Musty Nester
How could it possibly cost that much?

Do you have to issue entirely new locomotives (the choo-choo part of the train, I assume those are still called locomotive engines)? Have the engines not undergone any sort of electronics modernization in the past 40 years?

I'm actually asking. If the standard fleet of locomotives is electronics poor, then I guess implementing any electronic oversight is gonna cost a shit pile of money. How many companies even built train locomotives anymore? Probably not too many, I'd guess.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How about we just put the system a mile or two before a curve instead of at every single mile. Hey we just saved a fuck load of money.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it could be something as simple as a speed gun, a camera or a sensor tied a stick every hundred or so feet that sends signals/images back to the train grid and the computer can just depower or shut the train down. its really just mathematics. if subject is moving from pont a to point b and he took x time to travel from one marker to another the speed can be computed and you have your answer

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
How about we just put the system a mile or two before a curve instead of at every single mile. Hey we just saved a fuck load of money.
Sounds like you are treading on my freedoms, bro.

Seriously though, I don't know how there isnt a black box thing in these trains that alert people when odd things happen.