Thor: Love and Thunder (2021)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I liked it ok. I agree with a lot of other commenters about it not being as good as Ragnarok, but it was ok. Not too gurl-power or woke, but you'll definitely see it a few times since you're from FoH. My coworkers didn't notice or care, but they never do until I point it out.

I really do wish it had been half an hour longer and that entire time was Gorr actually killing shit. And sure, even toss in one scene of Jane doing some Thor shit before Thor shows up...although I guess then it sort of hamstrings the whole scene from the trailer where he first sees her...which was already ruined for every person that even watched one trailer, so why not show us that she's a Thor prior to that?

But yeah, the biggest part missing was ANY sense that Gorr was someone to be feared. When he attacked New Asgard, he honestly felt pretty worthless. Yay, he killed a few faceless citizens (maybe, did he even kill any??) and steals some kids. Big deal. Show him slaughtering some actual gods beyond the first absolutely pathetic one so that we worry about Thor maybe having to break a sweat. I know the story from the comics, but without that I have to think your average viewer had absolutely no clue why he is a big deal except that we are TOLD he's a big deal. Show, don't tell, because
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF
i dunno if we can do spoilers openly yet, so
i also felt Gorr was acting really stupid with the Asgard kids, he is a god killer, not a kid terrorizer. you can tell that whole scene with the snake head was meant for little kids, like the witch in Hansel and Gretel. there was no reason for that scene especially when they cut so much other stuff out. it even goes against the character in the film because he really loved his daughter and why the fuck would he target other parents children?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
i also felt Gorr was acting really stupid with the Asgard kids, he is a god killer, not a kid terrorizer. you can tell that whole scene with the snake head was meant for little kids, like the witch in Hansel and Gretel. there was no reason for that scene especially when they cut so much other stuff out. it even goes against the character in the film because he really loved his daughter and why the fuck would he target other parents children?
I completely agree with your thoughts here. None of that made sense, nor did it inspire any sort of fear about Gorr being anywhere close to Thor's power level. Except for the opening scene, he literally did everything "God-Butchery" off-screen. Terrible, terrible decision if you ask me.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
He was already pretty cuck-ish the minute they debuted Fat Thor and turned the strongest Avenger into a joke character.

What does getting fat have to do with being a cuck??

And he became a joke character in Ragnarok

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What does getting fat have to do with being a cuck??

And he became a joke character in Ragnarok

Pretty much if you get fat, your bitch is out banging other dudes! Same way if ur wife gets fat, gotta fuck the hot young girls that are "on vacation"!

• 2Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They explained that the necrosword corrupted Gorr the more he used it. Which is way he acts fucked up late in the movie with the kids.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Is there an explanation for why Thor's costume looks like Iron Man now? I hate the new look.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Where does this rank as far as phase 4?

Obviously below No Way Home, but is it worse than any of the recent shitty ones?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Is there an explanation for why Thor's costume looks like Iron Man now? I hate the new look.
I mean that is pretty much his Rune King Thor armor from the comics. He does like 5 costume changes during the movie.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Where does this rank as far as phase 4?

Obviously below No Way Home, but is it worse than any of the recent shitty ones?

I'd rank it as

Spider Man No Way Home
Loki
What If
Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness
Wanda Vision
Hawkeye
Thor Love and Thunder
Black Widow
Moon Knight
Shang Chi
goat poop
Falcon and Winter Soldier
Eternals

(haven't nor will I watch Ms Marvel)

One important thing I think is that we all went into Thor Ragnarok expecting very little due to how shit Thor 1 & 2 were, and it was a very pleasant surprise and great movie. This movie is definitely NOT as good as Ragnarok. Its 50% humor, so either you will like that or absolutely hate the MCU / Taika Waititi style humor.

They were at least smart cutting it to 2 hours, especially if the rumors of an original 4 hour cut are true, the movie feels a bit too long already. On the other hand, it REALLY feels like a lot of important stuff is missing.

It felt like Thor Ragnarok had Marvel producers reigning in Taiki a little bit to good effect, and this movie just let him do whatever he wanted (WAY too much self insert with Korg) with no good oversight.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just watched Moon Knight a week ago and I loved it. Was it universally not likes here? That ranking seems way to low for me, personally.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I just watched Moon Knight a week ago and I loved it. Was it universally not likes here? That ranking seems way to low for me, personally.
People were expecting more action from Moon Knight, don't know why.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just got back from seeing it, I concur with the general sentiment that it was "meh".
  • Middle of the pack for Thor movies (I liked the first and Ragnarok, then this, this that shitshow which was Thor 2).
  • Middle tier in general MCU.
  • Better than anything other than No Way Home in phase 4 (Neck and neck with MoM)
I agree with someone's assessment I heard that the problem with Watiti's direction is that he's fantastic at his style of humor, but doesn't know how to give the right space and tone for somber/serious moments. He probably should have chosen another storyline other than Gorr to do. Also the pacing could have used some tweaking, wondering if a "directors cut" will happen on D+ when it gets there. As much as there was a ton of hate on the Jane Foster Mighty Thor I didn't mind it, and it felt like a reasonable enough way to work it into the movie, while also making sure it was JUST for this movie.

Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus fell asleep during the Zeus portion. But she also went in pretty much pre-hating it due to all the negative pre-press it's gotten. I think if they could have avoided nonsense like the shameless SJW pandering "It's SOOOOOOO GaY!!!!!" crap it would have helped them with the non-woke fans. But also I realize that in the Feige era there is no care for the actual fans of the characters and story past "The Message"™

As mentioned above, his costume in most of the movie was "Rune God Thor" and an homage to that aspect of the comics. Also the red leather jacket was an Easter Egg nod to Thunderstike, aka Eric Masterson from the comics, who also held the Thor mantle for a while : Thunderstrike (Character) - Comic Vine

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob

The show was just all over the place on story imo. It was also a problem that the character Layla had more screen time than the Moon Knight suit for example. Someone did a breakdown on reddit or w/e of screen time and Khonshu was in the show for 11 mins while Layla was on nearly an hour, I think the Moon Knight scenes were like 45 mins. They spent a LOT of time with Steven Grant, maybe a bit too much for a 5 hour show.

I enjoyed the egyptian bits of it but it felt like it was trying to be 3-4 shows at once and cramming it into 6 episodes was insane.

Its not ranked that badly by most viewers, the IMDB breakdowns (150k+ votes each) is

Loki 8.2/10
WandaVision 7.9/10
Hawkeye 7.6/10
Moon Knight 7.4/10
Falcon/WS 7.2/10
Ms Marvel 6.1/10

While I'd put Falcon lower I'd agree with that relative ranking. Thor Love & Thunder is 7.1/10 so sits squarely near the bottom there right now but only 33k votes this weekend.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’ll be honest I haven’t watched Hawkeye yet, but my eyebrow arched when I saw it above Moon Knight…but I can’t comment yet on that.

I liked the changed in MK from the comics, how the suits aren’t different personalities but instead reflections of the main person personalities. I just really enjoyed the show all around and felt it was pretty spot on the the source material other than the suits being their own personalities.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just got home from watching it. I had a good experience. It wasn't as fun as Ragnarok, but had more than a few Ragnarok-type scenes. A few emotional scenes, but overall it was a good movie.