ThunderCats Roar - Proof there is no God

Arative

Vyemm Raider
This looks bad and they should feel bad for making it. At least I'll be able to show my kids the cartoons I grew up on, so they know what real quality is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just don't understand how that guy doesn't have one friend to tell him about that hair. What the fuck is he doing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
His boyfriend probably likes it, so I'm sure he doesn't care what anyone else thinks at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
There was really only one truly great thing that came from the original.

A popular argument with the internet animator apologists is the 2011 series being cancelled due to "people not watching it", but that was shown to be bullshit with a second season in the works with 6 episodes before Lego offered a cheaper dumber knock off with that Legends of Chima leading to its cancellation. Plus I think they did what causes a lot of shows to collapse is putting it in several different time slots all over the place and not having a clear idea if they are marketing it to the kids CN or Toonami/Adult Swim audience.
Second best.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have some friends in the geek community trying to defend this as "old people complaining about this is what's killing new cartoon series"...

I have to step in and call bullshit on that one. The only reason you regurgitate something like Thundercats in a remake is because you want to cash in on the nostalgia that people have about the cartoons they remember from their childhood. Otherwise you could make any other cartoon about anthromorphized animal people , crank through the same tropes, and kids could watch it just fine. It's because you WANT the nostalgia tie in to push the product. Well, with that desire for nostalgia you have to do it well enough not to insult people with fond memories of the original (even if they're overly fond due to the patina of time effect).

If you're just going to press the button on the "remake-o-tron" to see what you need to redo next then you have to at least put together something decent with it. Instead this looks a lot like they're looking for something where they can hire sub-fanfic level writers and use an animation style they can have done with an computer after humans draw the first set of reference character art. Don't do that and expect fans of the originals to fawn over a steaming pile of crap.

• 2Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Fuck everything related to this garbage.

Wow i'm salty as fuck.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I have some friends in the geek community trying to defend this as "old people complaining about this is what's killing new cartoon series"...

I have to step in and call bullshit on that one. The only reason you regurgitate something like Thundercats in a remake is because you want to cash in on the nostalgia that people have about the cartoons they remember from their childhood. Otherwise you could make any other cartoon about anthromorphized animal people , crank through the same tropes, and kids could watch it just fine. It's because you WANT the nostalgia tie in to push the product. Well, with that desire for nostalgia you have to do it well enough not to insult people with fond memories of the original (even if they're overly fond due to the patina of time effect).

If you're just going to press the button on the "remake-o-tron" to see what you need to redo next then you have to at least put together something decent with it. Instead this looks a lot like they're looking for something where they can hire sub-fanfic level writers and use an animation style they can have done with an computer after humans draw the first set of reference character art. Don't do that and expect fans of the originals to fawn over a steaming pile of crap.

Exactly, and the problem with the art style of this remake is that it screams comedy from a cartoon that was mostly geared towards action with a side of levity. If they did the same art style with GI-Joe or Transformers it would be taken met with the same resistance because they were all action/adventure first with comedic relief to break up tension. The art style alone conveys comedy first which means that action/adventure immediately take a back seat to that until the artist focuses on them. It is a fundamental shift of the core viewing audience which means any old fans will immediately reject it.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Thats just how cartoon network does shit these days, they take

and turn it into
latest

They did do Thundercats in Anime a while back
maxresdefault.jpg

But wtf with this new style?

Ok...I hear you. But Teen Titans Go is funny as shit. They get a pass with that one.

• 3Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I just don't understand how that guy doesn't have one friend to tell him about that hair. What the fuck is he doing.

Right? I can't get over that guys hair. I guess he's trying to be delightfully quirky with it, but he looks like a moron. Dude, you're not in college anymore trying to be harmless and quirky..you're an adult now, god damn.

The soy boy stuff is kind of obtuse, but does it ever fit that whole office. Everyone in there seems like they need those testosterone butt pellets. Look at the women's faces, half of them you can tell are thinking "how did I end up working with these weird man-children".

Last edited:
  • 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand this. Do these companies say, "This dude just came up one day from cleaning out our toilets and wanted a job. We said, why the fuck not? I bet he's going to bring in amazing success for our studios..." This guy's last show was a complete failure.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Showed wife the trailer. Her, "They should be executed for that shit."

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Bad.

There's a reason why this kind of animation has has a surge of popularity, and it really isn't a good thing. If you've ever actually had to sit down and watch Teen Titans Go or anything similar, you'd notice that its basically Meme 101 for kids. They respond to the dumb anime faces/reaction shots more than anything else. Rendering everyone and everything into pillowy, easily-reproduced sacks with dumb eyes and a dumb mouth for all your dumb face needs worked up to this point. Guess the backlash shows just how tone-deaf and egregiously unrelated this reboot is to the spirit of the original.

Then again, this isn't being made for 'us.' I still to this day do not understand the ridiculous hype and adult fandom of things like Steven Universe, so safe to say I'm not the target audience for shit like this either.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Stuff like Adventure Time of Steven Universe, I get, and I love, and I love how they made something that you can enjoy on a very surface level for the silly shit or that you can really delve into if you want.

This though? I think the misfires when trying to retool stuff like this is made so much worse by the fact that they already had a retool, and it was good, it just had no support. Support your fucking products and you will get more people watching. Make a predictable schedule so people don't go months between "bombs" of episodes and people can actually support what they like.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Part of it is that a lot of these cartoons on CN are backed by the toy industry. After a couple seasons no one is buying the toys anymore and so the money gets pulled out. That's why they make cheap-ass cartoons so the toy companies can make cheap-ass toys, both sides cash out, and the show gets scrapped.

• 1Like

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
I still to this day do not understand the ridiculous hype and adult fandom of things like Steven Universe
Steven Universe is fairly easy to figure out, the show is basically an allusion to sex and sexual relationships. I saw that within the first two episodes I watched, and if I can see the metaphor, then it must be painfully obvious. It also presses all the buttons that a blue haired activist would love: female empowerment, gender fluidity, same-sex couples, polyamory, being raised in an non-nuclear family, and the object of the father's desire being an overweight pink haired alien.

I'm more surprised that kids even like it.

Adventure time is also easy to figure out, it's a dystopian post-apocalyptic show in a surrealistic style with a coat of kid show paint overtop.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Part of it is that a lot of these cartoons on CN are backed by the toy industry. After a couple seasons no one is buying the toys anymore and so the money gets pulled out. That's why they make cheap-ass cartoons so the toy companies can make cheap-ass toys, both sides cash out, and the show gets scrapped.
Hey cuz of that Ronald Reagan EO or whatever that made cartoons based on a toyline legal, we have
transformers-g1-optimus-prime-toy-reissue_1024x1024.jpg

a good fucking toy

vs. this shit?
teen-titans-go-beast-boy-action-figure

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, but that was back-in-the-day before video games and the internet were so powerful. Now you have parents giving their kids Ipads to play on at a very young age.

No one's going to invest a ton of money into better toys these days, they're aiming for a quick buck. That's how Young Justice got shit-canned, because kids weren't buying the toys so Mattel yanked the funding.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit. I heard about it this weekend and was excited. I thought the people saying shit like "They're ruining my childhood" were just being drama queens. But fuck, man. For the first time ever I understand that sentiment. Why? Go back to the anime version (which was never given a fair shot) if you're just incapable of imitating the original style.

If you watch that clip, the lead animator dude with the top of head pony tail pretty much explains WTF is going wrong here. Fortunately he looks like a congenital loser. Because if this makes it past 1 season I'm going to have to scrape the emblem off my truck and throw away some shirts.

• 1Like