Time Magazines' top 50 video games of all time

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
theguardianlegend.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I always go into these expecting to see X-COM UFO Defense and when they're correct I see it and when they're wrong I do not

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Top 10, good ol' "feel good" bullshit.

Bioshock #43 super-fucking rustled at how low on the list that is... Must. Not. Freak. Out.

List blows.

IGN/Gamepro/Someone did a list way back in the day, near the turn of the century, always thought it was pretty spot on for its time. EQ was Top 15 or some shit, was a really solid list.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Missing:

Master of Orion
Bards Tale series (just pick any)
Wasteland

Probl a ton of others, that list has no theme. Are they aiming for revolutionary (for their time) games, most selling (like including Angry Birds which is just a streamlined clone of other games) and so on.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
That list was more about games that had a large impact on gaming than a real top 50.

The real list would include:
  1. Everquest
  2. Eve Online
  3. Final Fantasy: Tactics
  4. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  5. Chrono Trigger
  6. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadow of Amn
  7. Crusader Kings 2
  8. Lords of the Realm 2
Screw it, I'll just keep going and see how many games should be on this list. This is in the order I think of them, not order of how good they are (World of Warcraft is #1, blow me if you disagree).

9. Counter Strike
10. Starcraft
11. Half-Life
12. Halo
13. Half-Life 2
14. World of Warcraft
15. Ultima Online
16. Final Fantasy 6
17. Final Fantasy 7
18. Quake 3: Arena
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
20. Battlefield 1942
21. Street Fighter 2
22. Pong
23. Galaga
24. Pac Man
25. Donkey Kong Country
26. Super Mario 64
27. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
28. Shadow of the Colossus
29. Mass Effect
30. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
31. Tomb Raider 2
32. Resident Evil 4
33. Civilization 2
34. Overwatch
35. League of Legends
36. Dota 2
37. Diablo 2
38. Skyrim
39. Oblivion
40. Morrowind
41. Planescape Torment
42. Tetris
43. Madden (Pick a Year)
44. Fifa (Pick a Year)
45. Duck Tales
46. Pokemon Red & Blue
47. The Sims
48. Angry Birds
49. Farmville
50. Candy Crush
51. Portal
52. Portal 2
53. Myst
54. Wing Commander 4
55. Privateer
56. Super Smash Brothers Melee
57. Fable
58. Tower Defense
59. Dune 2000
60. C&C: Red Alert 2
61. Where in the World is Carmen San Diego
62. Oregon Trail
63. Brothers A Tale of Two Sons
64. Fallout 3
65. Bastion
66. Gran Turismo 2
67. Jet Moto 2
68. Sonic the Hedgehog
69. Phantasy Star Online
70. Kingdom Hearts
Get fucked, Time Magazine. I did in 70 what you couldn't do in 700.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm guessing that this list is what they consider to be the best 50 in no particular order. Tetris is not better than half the games on that list. Also, Pokemon Red & Blue were the worst of all the Pokemon games, like wtf

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm guessing that this list is what they consider to be the best 50 in no particular order. Tetris is not better than half the games on that list. Also, Pokemon Red & Blue were the worst of all the Pokemon games, like wtf

To make a list, you kind of have to define what "best" even is. From what I can tell in briefly looking at the list, is that it's based upon which games have had the biggest impact on the games that followed and which crossed over from gaming culture to pop culture. Some of the games on the list skew heavily in one direction, some the other, some both.

I dunno, maybe some of us are too young to remember because Tetris was so long ago, but that shit was fucking huge at the time. And everyone was aware of it, not just gamers. Apparently it's sold 170 million copies, although that includes shitty mobile versions, so not directly comparable to cartridge/disc games. In any case, that's an incredible amount.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
You can argue about how "good" of a game Tetris is, but as Eomer points out its influence was tremendous. It pulled in non-gamers decades before Nintendo repeated that feat with the Wii. It also played a large role in creating the handheld market which became Nintendo's life raft on multiple occasions. It is ultra-accessible and so easy to learn you can understand the rules just by watching someone play for a few seconds, yet challenging and engaging enough to stay on your mind hours after you stop playing the game.

I don't know about #1, but it easily deserves a high spot on the list.

Cybsled

People forget, but Tetris was the "killer app" on the original Gameboy.

• 1Like

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wolfenstein 3D being #32 is ok. Doom and Quake being ranked better than Wolfenstein is deplorable.

While there are many games that should be on the list, Street Fighter not being there is downright shameful. And while Killer Instinct wasn't the first to do "Fatalities" it did push Mortal Kombat to expand what it was as a game.

Let's also not forget the impact Contra had. It's partially why the main character of Doom looks the way he does. EQ is another one that should be on the list. It's why WoW was able to be the suscess it was.

If this list was to be truly correct, no repeat games from a franchise would be possible. The repeat games take away spots for more deserving games. Plus their rankings seem to push popular more so than genre influencing.

Ryanz

<Banned>
No Ultima Online is also a travesty. Even more so than no EQ.

• 1Like

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
No Ultima Online is also a travesty. Even more so than no EQ.

I wanted to say something about that. All I know though is that the game was pretty much a FFA-MMO. Not really sure it belongs on the list though.

As a personal list, I can't even define a top 10. All have their own uniqueness that makes them even.

Tetris
Super Mario Bros
Wolfenstein 3D
The Legend of Zelda
GTA 1 & 3
Oregon Trail
Goldeneye 007
Contra
EQ/WoW not sure which one to include.
Mortal Kombat
Diablo 2

I can't even order those, they have all been hugely successful while changing what people want from video games.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No Planescape, Fallout 1, 2, or
New Vegas?

Go fuck yourself.