Time Magazines' top 50 video games of all time

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think the point is that when making a list like this you need to pinpoint what created a whole new genre of gaming or really pushed a genre forward. We should create a top 50 imo.

I have a hard time justifying WoW but I guess it's significance was bringing nerdy MMO gaming to the masses, so I'd say it makes the list for that reason, and then its success spurred tons of copy-cats which killed the MMO sector.

Warcraft III was pivotal for allowing mods which gave birth to a whole new genre, and the RTS game itself was quite revolutionary with the heroes.

Minecraft deserves a spot for starting the sandbox genre.

Mario/Zelda/Sonic are classics.

F-Zero

Pac-man/Donkey Kong/Tetris/Pong

Another miss was Wii Sports... that game started a craze which then Microsoft spun off.

Wolfenstein/Doom/Duke Nukem/Quake/Unreal

Team Fortress 2 and Counterstrike are also standouts for FPS

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's like everyone's got their own tastes and this is a totally subjective list. How dare Time!

Their subjectivity is wrong. Someone needs to slap their opinion in the face.

Also, 7th Guest paved the way for multimedia CD Rom entertainment besides it being a medium to save money on floppy disks. Not on the list. Dune 2? Not on the list. Paved the way for RTS games. Ultima Underworld, eye of the beholder, gold box series AD&D games...

This person will also list the top 10 presidents next and I guarantee you they will mention only democrats.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Seriously... Lets talk about which games paved which platforms.

The Sierra Network created the first hub world graphically for people to conglomerate in. Neverwinter NIghts was really the first MMORPG on AOL aside from BBS Doors. NFL Football on Intellivision - the first ever virtual playbook to call your plays. 9-2-2-9, the hail mary. Awesome stuff right there. Intellivoice - the first home based voice system for a console. B-17 bomber wasn't even mentioned as a result. "B....17.... BOOOOMMMBBBEERRRRR"

I mean so much that actually made a difference, and the number one game on there is fucking TETRIS!?!?!?!?!

Hell, Call of Duty 2?? It was a rip off of Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Nothing more nothing less. MOH should win that award, especially with the beach scene. Battlefield 1942 on that list?

I mean C'mon. It should be a federal law whoeever writes these ridiculous articles has to have been born before 1990.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
seems like a lot of the games they picked were picked based on how big of a cultural impact they had rather than how good they were.
Yeah, number of games on there just had a much larger cultural impact than its prequels/sequels. Like GTA 3, the hype around gta3 was rediculous. SC2, sc1 is considered the superior game, but sc2 is what really brought e-sports to north america. Then again, no clue why they would have RE4 on there and not RE1 for that same reason. RE1 was vital to the ps1's success and is a much better game to boot.

• 1Like

Caliane

Yeah, number of games on there just had a much larger cultural impact than its prequels/sequels. Like GTA 3, the hype around gta3 was rediculous. SC2, sc1 is considered the superior game, but sc2 is what really brought e-sports to north america. Then again, no clue why they would have RE4 on there and not RE1 for that same reason. RE1 was vital to the ps1's success and is a much better game to boot.
no it wasn't. LoL broke Esports open. Which is all the more reason its odd Dota2 is on there, and not LoL.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
You clearly didn't follow e-sports until LoL if you think that's the case. I mean, LoL was released before SC2 WoL yet SC2 had MUCH higher viewership for years before LoL took it over. I remember watching a big sc2 tournament, you know back when you still had to pay to view e-sports, or at least view above 240p and it being a big deal it hit 100k concurrent viewers. LoL wasn't even sniffing that at the time. If it weren't for gsl's success making sc2/mlg a success in NA the infrastructure which held LoL's first tournaments wouldn't have even been there.

You can say LoL made it mainstream, sure, but beyond a shadow of doubt SC/SC2 brought e-sports as we know it today to NA.

Last edited:

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Very disappointed to not see Metal Gear Solid (the 1st one) or Symphony of the Night on the list.

Did we really need to see Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Very disappointed to not see Metal Gear Solid (the 1st one) or Symphony of the Night on the list.

Did we really need to see Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake?

Exactly. No. We only needed to see Wolfenstien 3D which spawned everything.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
A lot of "this game inspired/revitalized a genre" circle-jerking, but without the chrono trigger.

Makes me want to play Diablo 2 again though, 10/10.

No Chrono Trigger is the greatest crime.

Also shout out to /r/slashdiablo. Emulated d2 server. They don't delete characters so you can go back every once in a while when you feel the itch. You can also 4 box and use maphacks (no bots or dupes though) Great little community.

Also Starcraft should be there instead of Starcraft II.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

No Snake Eater, No list. That song is better than 99% of the games out there.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
List is invalid.
HuEezRO.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users