Tokyo, Japan

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
tokyo disneyland is rated the best disney theme park of them all, so you might want to spend 2,3 or even 4 days there. the furthest south i've been was hiroshima and even then it was a long train ride on the bullet train, you have to see how much time you want to travel vs. being in that location, the jr train pass makes it easier, not as great a value as before but from what your saying, still sounds like it'll be great for you.

I've been debating whether to get that or not. I think if we just use it for bullet trains around seems like it'll be close to a wash money wise, but apparently as long as my bags aren't too large we can just walk on to the bullet trains without a reservation, and it can be used for local transport, most likely going to just get it and if it ends up being a little more but we can walk on and use it locally then it's better for the convenience. I saw something about sleeper trains out of Tokyo so was thinking of that for the train ride down south. Tentatively, I was thinking 2 days in Disney, 1 for each park, 1 day in SanRio, 1 day Tokyo Joyopolis which I think is a Sega/video game theme park, and then 2 days touring around Tokyo. When we go south there is a universal studios I saw that seems very highly rated so was thinking that. Then maybe a 1-2 days each in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Osaka.

One thing I've found is hotels are crazy booked in Japan, we looked at the drone run hotel in Tokyo, and that thing is already booked out into July.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So planning a trip to Japan later this year. Have an 8 year old. Going for about 24 days. Looking at Mid July to Mid August. I have military friends so potentially access to military specific stuff. Tentatively thinking 7 days in the Tokyo area, hit disney and the big theme parks, go south for 7 days, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, then kinda not sure from there. Is it worth it to see northern Japan, or should we spend a few days and see Okinawa? Any reco for must see stuff/theme parks/attractions?
Northern Japan has some amazing historical sites, temples, and rural type towns if that's what you are looking for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I've been debating whether to get that or not. I think if we just use it for bullet trains around seems like it'll be close to a wash money wise, but apparently as long as my bags aren't too large we can just walk on to the bullet trains without a reservation, and it can be used for local transport, most likely going to just get it and if it ends up being a little more but we can walk on and use it locally then it's better for the convenience. I saw something about sleeper trains out of Tokyo so was thinking of that for the train ride down south. Tentatively, I was thinking 2 days in Disney, 1 for each park, 1 day in SanRio, 1 day Tokyo Joyopolis which I think is a Sega/video game theme park, and then 2 days touring around Tokyo. When we go south there is a universal studios I saw that seems very highly rated so was thinking that. Then maybe a 1-2 days each in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Osaka.

One thing I've found is hotels are crazy booked in Japan, we looked at the drone run hotel in Tokyo, and that thing is already booked out into July.
i haven't taken the bullet trains since the new luggage restriction, but i'm sure you still have to make a reservation of some kind to get a seat number, either by kiosk or dude. but luggage issues can easily be overcome by leaving your luggage behind in a locker , example. leave luggage in tokyo locker for 7days, travel to osaka/hirosima, etc and come back to tokyo and pick up luggage, or just ship your luggage to a future destination by cat (its basically luggage fed ex and i said by cat b/c the logo is a cat carrying a kitten)
IMG_5338.jpg

you can just do hotel to hotel, the front desk will do it, they'll measure the luggage (they are very crazy on this, they'll measure lxwxh) and take the money, it's really easy

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

the furthest south i've been was hiroshima and even then it was a long train ride on the bullet train, you have to see how much time you want to travel vs. being in that location, the jr train pass makes it easier, not as great a value as before but from what your saying, still sounds like it'll be great for you.
Did you pick up much racism from the Japanese toward Chinese, or did they seem to pick up that you were American? I hear that in some countries people will automatically switch to English if they make you for an American.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Did you pick up much racism from the Japanese toward Chinese, or did they seem to pick up that you were American? I hear that in some countries people will automatically switch to English if they make you for an American.
oh right away you could tell, i'm an american grown chinese so even w/ my 5'10 ass i felt like gulliver in a land of 5'5 midgets

treated different? eh korea is ruder is about it. switch to english? i don't remember a single soul speaking english.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Does the JR pass still put you in the 1st class/nice section of the bullet trains? That shit was great - felt like we had the entire cabin to ourselves vs. getting stuck in coach with the rest and the seats were comfy

I remember one time we went to take a train for a planned day trip and there were about 3 people from China - the lady kept coughing and spitting massive flem lougies into a damned 7/11 cup. She was doing in on the platform and then we all get on the train and of course they get into the same cabin and she keeps doing it. I thought we were going to have to suffer through that for our 2-3 hour trip, but the dude checking tickets tossed them back in coach/general because they didn't have a ticket for the cabin we were in lol

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
i haven't taken the bullet trains since the new luggage restriction, but i'm sure you still have to make a reservation of some kind to get a seat number, either by kiosk or dude. but luggage issues can easily be overcome by leaving your luggage behind in a locker , example. leave luggage in tokyo locker for 7days, travel to osaka/hirosima, etc and come back to tokyo and pick up luggage, or just ship your luggage to a future destination by cat (its basically luggage fed ex and i said by cat b/c the logo is a cat carrying a kitten)
IMG_5338.jpg

you can just do hotel to hotel, the front desk will do it, they'll measure the luggage (they are very crazy on this, they'll measure lxwxh) and take the money, it's really easy

Went to Japan last spring and used whatever that cat shipping company is to move my bags. Was amazing. At one hotel my bag was in my room when i got there after shipping it from the last hotel.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
B_Mizzle B_Mizzle you got your internet figured out? the 2 times i went i ordered a mifi, and don't get me wrong it was super easy to just pick them up at the airport (post office) and you drop it off at the post office when you leave

however my travels to eu this year i've been doing amazon sim cards and they work amazing

26bucks for 15days and you don't have to worry about keeping a mifi charged?
Japan Data ONLY SIM Card 15 Days | Unlimited Internet Data (10GB at 4G LTE High Speed Data Then downgrade to 128kbps) |Docomo KDDI Network | Hotspot tethering Supported

(i've been favoring this company, i mean theyre just resellers but the 2 sim cards i got from them were easy and didn't require silly activation, 1 sim card had me activate 3 days before i landed and some weird txt msg shit to get it started, these cards were just pop in and turn on roam)

if your phone supports it, you can just buy an esim and not even have to worry.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Went to Japan last spring and used whatever that cat shipping company is to move my bags. Was amazing. At one hotel my bag was in my room when i got there after shipping it from the last hotel.
ikr and it was cheap too, if you factor in paying for a storage locker elsewhere or the new jr train fees. i don't see why you wouldn't just hotel ship a 29inch at your next or next, next hotel and move comfortably with a carryon. (actually my 29s i bought in japan and use frequently, they are both the molded hard plastic and both have a crack in em, not really worried since i used gorilla tape on the inside and it's held up great)

• 1Solidarity

B_Mizzle

B_Mizzle B_Mizzle you got your internet figured out? the 2 times i went i ordered a mifi, and don't get me wrong it was super easy to just pick them up at the airport (post office) and you drop it off at the post office when you leave

however my travels to eu this year i've been doing amazon sim cards and they work amazing

26bucks for 15days and you don't have to worry about keeping a mifi charged?
Japan Data ONLY SIM Card 15 Days | Unlimited Internet Data (10GB at 4G LTE High Speed Data Then downgrade to 128kbps) |Docomo KDDI Network | Hotspot tethering Supported

(i've been favoring this company, i mean theyre just resellers but the 2 sim cards i got from them were easy and didn't require silly activation, 1 sim card had me activate 3 days before i landed and some weird txt msg shit to get it started, these cards were just pop in and turn on roam)

if your phone supports it, you can just buy an esim and not even have to worry.

I haven't gotten to a good decision yet on it. I saw some stuff on youtube about the pocket wifis, seem to run about 5 a day for 3-5gig. I called tmobile and they said I can buy a data pass 10 days $35 and 15 gigs. I like the sim card idea, I need to find out for sure if my phone is unlocked, I think it is because I ordered it direct off the website not from any specific carrier, because just popping in a new sim sounds like a much better option. What i'm not sure is how much data I'm going to be using. Plan to use wifi in the hotels, so basically just need data for maps and googling stuff while we're out and about.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
So planning a trip to Japan later this year. Have an 8 year old. Going for about 24 days. Looking at Mid July to Mid August. I have military friends so potentially access to military specific stuff. Tentatively thinking 7 days in the Tokyo area, hit disney and the big theme parks, go south for 7 days, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, then kinda not sure from there. Is it worth it to see northern Japan, or should we spend a few days and see Okinawa? Any reco for must see stuff/theme parks/attractions?
Assuming you'll be around the Fussa area? Yokota?

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Do people’s phone plans not have the option to pay extra to get data in countries when you travel? I’m the basic T-Mobile, and it’s 5$ a month for only the months I travel. I get a text message welcoming me to the country and that I’m good to go. Works in shithole nations all over the planet, and Japan. Literally haven’t been anywhere it doesn’t work like that. Like 10 years ago I needed the card In Japan, but I’d check with my phone service before bothering with that shit now.

• 1Like

B_Mizzle

Do people’s phone plans not have the option to pay extra to get data in countries when you travel? I’m the basic T-Mobile, and it’s 5$ a month for only the months I travel. I get a text message welcoming me to the country and that I’m good to go. Works in shithole nations all over the planet, and Japan. Literally haven’t been anywhere it doesn’t work like that. Like 10 years ago I needed the card In Japan, but I’d check with my phone service before bothering with that shit now.

Thanks for that info, I have tmobile and when I called about it they said the basic upgrade should work but they don't guarantee it but for a fee I could buy some guaranteed data. Glad to know it works ill just do that and use the wifi in hotel.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I use Google Fi and it comes with international data. Get 5G in every country I go.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I use Google Fi and it comes with international data. Get 5G in every country I go.
Trust me, you don't get 5g in most of africa, lol. But yes, generally getting some connection is way simpler than it used to be.

And for mizzle, the reason they don't guarantee it is they usually partner with a network in those countries, so there may be gaps in that network where you go into roaming. You can force your phone to only use the friendly network and what not, and usually you'll get a text message from a network warning you that you're roaming. Can be a problem in really remote areas... but in japan, not likely to encounter it in any normal areas. More something you see in countries where there's dueling chinese/american backed networks.