Tokyo, Japan

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Ok, so my original trip was supposed to just be 2 weeks in Bangkok Thailand visiting my wives brother, with a few days in Chiang Mai. We decided that maybe we would end up murdering her family if forced to stay with them for two weeks, so decided to split our trip in half. We choose Japan... and then decided to increase our trip from 2 weeks to 3. Also, at my insistence, we each brought only one largish backpack.

Here is a rushed trip recap.

First night we basically just got to our Hotel and crashed.
Second day we walked the blocks all around our hotel just going into shops, eating, drinking, and checking stuff out.

Initial observations -
1. Everything is super clean
2. We can't communicate with anyone, even simple things require effort (my wife needed chopsticks, and our servers at a sushi bar had to be shown a picture, the word "Chopsticks" is not universal it seems, lol)
3. It feels super organised and safe
4. Everyone seems like they are sorry they can't help us, lol, just got a very friendly vibe everywhere
5. Everything is ADORABLE. If I lived here I don't think I would own a single thing that wasn't cute. My house would look like Pee-Wee's Playhouse for sure.
6. WE WANT TO DO EVERYTHING.

The rest of our 11 days there were filled with plans of "We are going to try and do all this stuff tomorrow" and then going to do the first thing on our list... and ending up just spending the whole day off the tracks with our plans to the wind. We did some touristy stuff - Checked out a museum, went to Disney Sea one day, checked out Tokyo Skytower (saw Mt Fuji from it), saw the Robot Restaurant show, saw some shrines, went to a teahouse, went to a cat cafe, walked around the Palace and a bunch of parks. We tried to hit up a lot of the random districts and things too, but man, we WASTED so much time and don't regret a second of it. I've never seen my wife so thrilled with a place, so I just kind of rode that and tried to keep that energy going. She wants to go into 30 stores to just look and not buy anything today? Cool, lets fucking do itttttttt. She wanted to go into an arcade at 4pm and stay until midnight? Sure thing. Spend $40 trying to win a garbage toy out of a claw machine, go for it.

It was just fun everyday, even if all we were doing was walking around a ton. Food was great, getting around was easy, people seemed super nice, and it was just easily the best city I've ever been to. I hate cities, and I did not want to leave. I could easily spend months there and see new shit every single day. Loved it.

Side note, we didn't know where we were going to want to be, or how hard it was going to be to get around, so I had only booked 3 days at the Gracery (about $120 a night) building when we got there, and 1 night at an APA ($64) hotel near the airport for our last night. The other 7 days we left open and figured we would play it by ear. We stayed 2 nights at a hotel (about $180 a night) over by Disney, and then decided lugging even our backpacks around wasn't awesome, and we had really liked the central location of Gracery, so we ended up re-booking 5 more nights there. However, our last night at the APA was REALLLLLLLLY close to the Gracery in terms of quality at half the price. It was a little smaller, but if I was going back I would totally save a ton of money by just staying at an APA, they were everywhere.

Then it was time to go to Thailand.

First thing- right off the plane, it stank like shit in the airport. I assumed they must be having a problem or something, but no, it turns out they have some disaster of a sewer system and everything just reeks of human shit. We were in a market, a massive market, and there was just trenches with grates over them where you could see the shit and piss slowly flowing under your feet like 2 feet down. I'm a pretty fucking hardy dude, I'm not easily bothered by inconvenience, but there were several times I was almost sick at how intense the smell was, and I was buying drinks and shit to just breath into to help with it. Anyway, we go outside and immediately have people trying to pick us up in cabs, we hop in one, and away we go. The streets there are like an Indiana Jones movie or whatever, no laws, just herds of people all swerving and honking and whatever the fuck it took to keep moving forward. My wives brother explained that it helps if you think of the streets like a river, traffic just flows wherever it can. Our driver ended up trying to cheat us on the ride and ended up verbally fighting with my brother in law until he had to threaten to get the police involved. Taxi's are required by law to use their meter, and our guy never turned it on and was saying we owed him like 3 times what it should have cost.

Anyway, initial observation in Bangkok-
1. Everything is dirty and run down except for temples, which are everywhere.
2. We still can't communicate very effectively, but people are constantly trying with whatever English they know to sell you something.
3. Despite all the chaos everywhere, I never felt unsafe here, though I also never went off the beaten track, something I did constantly in Japan.
4. People were 50-50, either they were smiling or scowling. I had people who seemed super customer oriented, and also a lady hit me with her cane and yelled "YOU CHEAP! THAI MONEY WORTH NOTHING!" when I didn't want to pay her for fish food she was showing in my face (we were near a pond). It was funny, but yeah...
5. Seems like a great place to go if you want to fuck a prostitute or eat an endangered animal. Everything just seemed shady.
6. WE WANT TO LEAVE. lol.

Seriously though, at the end of the first night I was like "I'm going to do my best to make the most of this, but holy shit, I've never been to a new place before and within hours thought "Can we just go back to the airport and leave?" you know?" and my wife agreed.

We ended up going to a couple huge malls, saw Star Wars in a theater that had beds instead of chairs, visited temples and markets. That was pretty much our 3 days in Bangkok. We ate an amazing seafood dinner at a place where I paid $7 for a stupidly large plate of lobster, crab, etc etc that was awesome. That being said, while eating my seafood, I pointed out the 3 big rats running down the edge of the building to my wife, so again, not for everyone.

Now, Chiang Mai was better for sure, if I had only gone there I imagine my Thailand review would be "Everythings run down, dirty, and smells, but the people were nice enough, the food was good, everything is dirt cheap, and its an experience so go for it." It was pretty laid back and almost tropical. Like a tropical Mexico? I guess Mexico has tropical parts too, I've just never been. My wife said "Now we know that if we are ever going back to Thailand with friends or something to just go straight here" and I was like "Uhhh why would we ever do that, we should talk our friends into going somewhere else entirely or just not go with them if they are dead set". I just can't see with limited time and money for traveling why I would ever go back to Thailand at all.

When Chiang Mai was done we flew back to Thailand for 1 night and walked around Chinatown there some, and it was pretty cool. The next morning we went back to Japan and had a 22 hour layover, so we did one last day at Akihabara. I swear, when we got off that plane to Japan we were SO RELIVED. We beelined for our hotel and took the longest showers ever, forever unclean.

The way I have been describing the difference to friends is like this.

In Japan you walk into a public bathroom and its clean. You go into the booth and it's basically floor to ceiling partitions, so it seems very private. You sit down on the toilet and find the seat is heated. There's a 50% chance the seat starts playing light music or ocean sounds for further privacy. The bidet squirts whatever water is in the line into the bowl, ensuring that its nice and warm for you if you need it. You hit a button and it sprays your asshole off, then you wipe to clean or just dry off and flush. You wash your hands and go leave.

In Thailand you pay to get into most public bathrooms. They are dirty and dingy and comparable to a bathroom you would find at a public park in america. You go into the stall and its basically an american stall. There is no toilet paper (the sewer system can't handle it) so if shit is wet and dirty, no way to even clean that off. You try to hover over the bowl while you shit so you don't touch anything. When you are done you reach over to the right, where there is a water sprayer thing they call a bum gun. Its the same thing you have in your kitchen sink to spray off dishes. So you reach over and pick up that cold wet thing, its wet from the ricocheting ass water of the other infinite number of people who used it before you. Try to use that without getting fucking water everywhere.. and then there is no way to dry off, so you just have to pull your pants up and let that shitty ass water soak into your clothes. Ohh and then there's a 50-50 chance of the bathroom even having sinks, and a 0% chance of there being soap. It was gross, really gross.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Was that La Sora Seed restaurant still in the Tokyo Skytower? They were so good

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That was a good read, you're right about how you can write a big wall of text.

Thumbs up too about APA hotels, they're great and the price is always low, if you can find one doing a deal even better.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
APA hotels are nice and cheap. Shame they are owned and run by a far right Japan war apologist.

"APA Group distributes writings and publications written by its president, Toshio Motoya, a strong supporter of political and historical views aligned with those of Japan's far-right.[3] For example, in a series of interviews published online from APA Group's magazine Apple Town, Motoya claimed that "Japanese aggression, the Nanking Massacre, and comfort women" were "fabricated stories" or "fictitious". " These publications are widely distributed in APA Hotels.

Use Toyoko Inn instead.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
2. We can't communicate with anyone, even simple things require effort (my wife needed chopsticks, and our servers at a sushi bar had to be shown a picture, the word "Chopsticks" is not universal it seems, lol)
In Japan (Nipon), they say hashi (ha-she). That's the word.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heading to Japan in August for 7 weeks (mid August to early October) and I've already got airfare and an airbnb "base" in Shibuya setup. Granted, insurance on both because the world might end or Japan could become a corona-kaiju between now and then, but it ended up being substantially cheaper than I imagined. Work is fine with me working completely remote for a little bit, so I'm not even using that much actual time off and getting paychecks the entire time(only really going off-grid for two weeks). Should be pretty solid; going to start training to hike Fuji and working on my nihongo a lot more before I head over there, because I -hate- not being able to get at least basic communication covered, even if people speak decent english in and around the big cities.

Kind of planning on getting a pair of rail passes to cover all the travel there since it's 45 days (unless someone has an opinion on that!) and then spend one week just checking out cities to the south, hang out in and around Honshu and then spend the last week checking out northern Japan/Hokkaido. Only downside is I will be paying rent still back in the States, but otherwise it's substantially more affordable than I thought it would be initially, especially for that duration.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Heading to Japan in August for 7 weeks (mid August to early October) and I've already got airfare and an airbnb "base" in Shibuya setup. Granted, insurance on both because the world might end or Japan could become a corona-kaiju between now and then, but it ended up being substantially cheaper than I imagined. Work is fine with me working completely remote for a little bit, so I'm not even using that much actual time off and getting paychecks the entire time(only really going off-grid for two weeks). Should be pretty solid; going to start training to hike Fuji and working on my nihongo a lot more before I head over there, because I -hate- not being able to get at least basic communication covered, even if people speak decent english in and around the big cities.

Kind of planning on getting a pair of rail passes to cover all the travel there since it's 45 days (unless someone has an opinion on that!) and then spend one week just checking out cities to the south, hang out in and around Honshu and then spend the last week checking out northern Japan/Hokkaido. Only downside is I will be paying rent still back in the States, but otherwise it's substantially more affordable than I thought it would be initially, especially for that duration.
a month sounds pretty awesome, note i'm sure the shinkasen will restrict bag sizes by that time, check on it, i don't know if you mean your airbnb "base" is where you're gonna have rented for the full 45 days or not, or you'll be living out of your suitcases. (which is pretty simple) but huge 50lb bags are gonna get restricted.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah the airbnb is where I'm going to be leaving my stuff for the most part, and it's for the entire 7 week duration. Going to only be traveling light when I start railing around. Not planning on bringing big bags really to begin with, but that's one of the reasons I wanted to get a long-term airbnb place. Comes with laundry equipment and no shared bath/shower, because as much as I enjoy public get-togethers I try not to when I'm bathing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ok, so my original trip was supposed to just be 2 weeks in Bangkok Thailand visiting my wives brother, with a few days in Chiang Mai. We decided that maybe we would end up murdering her family if forced to stay with them for two weeks, so decided to split our trip in half. We choose Japan... and then decided to increase our trip from 2 weeks to 3. Also, at my insistence, we each brought only one largish backpack.

Second day we walked the blocks all around our hotel just going into shops, eating, drinking, and checking stuff out.

Initial observations -
4. Everyone seems like they are sorry they can't help us, lol, just got a very friendly vibe everywhere
5. Everything is ADORABLE. If I lived here I don't think I would own a single thing that wasn't cute. My house would look like Pee-Wee's Playhouse for sure.

The rest of our 11 days there were filled with plans of "We are going to try and do all this stuff tomorrow" and then going to do the first thing on our list... and ending up just spending the whole day off the tracks with our plans to the wind. We did some touristy stuff - Checked out a museum, went to Disney Sea one day, checked out Tokyo Skytower (saw Mt Fuji from it), saw the Robot Restaurant show, saw some shrines, went to a teahouse, went to a cat cafe, walked around the Palace and a bunch of parks. We tried to hit up a lot of the random districts and things too, but man, we WASTED so much time and don't regret a second of it. I've never seen my wife so thrilled with a place, so I just kind of rode that and tried to keep that energy going. She wants to go into 30 stores to just look and not buy anything today? Cool, lets fucking do itttttttt. She wanted to go into an arcade at 4pm and stay until midnight? Sure thing. Spend $40 trying to win a garbage toy out of a claw machine, go for it.

It was just fun everyday, even if all we were doing was walking around a ton. Food was great, getting around was easy, people seemed super nice, and it was just easily the best city I've ever been to. I hate cities, and I did not want to leave. I could easily spend months there and see new shit every single day. Loved it.

Side note, we didn't know where we were going to want to be, or how hard it was going to be to get around, so I had only booked 3 days at the Gracery (about $120 a night) building when we got there, and 1 night at an APA ($64) hotel near the airport for our last night. The other 7 days we left open and figured we would play it by ear. We stayed 2 nights at a hotel (about $180 a night) over by Disney, and then decided lugging even our backpacks around wasn't awesome, and we had really liked the central location of Gracery, so we ended up re-booking 5 more nights there. However, our last night at the APA was REALLLLLLLLY close to the Gracery in terms of quality at half the price. It was a little smaller, but if I was going back I would totally save a ton of money by just staying at an APA, they were everywhere.

First thing- right off the plane, it stank like shit in the airport. I assumed they must be having a problem or something, but no, it turns out they have some disaster of a sewer system and everything just reeks of human shit. We were in a market, a massive market, and there was just trenches with grates over them where you could see the shit and piss slowly flowing under your feet like 2 feet down. I'm a pretty fucking hardy dude, I'm not easily bothered by inconvenience, but there were several times I was almost sick at how intense the smell was, and I was buying drinks and shit to just breath into to help with it. Anyway, we go outside and immediately have people trying to pick us up in cabs, we hop in one, and away we go. The streets there are like an Indiana Jones movie or whatever, no laws, just herds of people all swerving and honking and whatever the fuck it took to keep moving forward. My wives brother explained that it helps if you think of the streets like a river, traffic just flows wherever it can. Our driver ended up trying to cheat us on the ride and ended up verbally fighting with my brother in law until he had to threaten to get the police involved. Taxi's are required by law to use their meter, and our guy never turned it on and was saying we owed him like 3 times what it should have cost.

2. We still can't communicate very effectively, but people are constantly trying with whatever English they know to sell you something.
3. Despite all the chaos everywhere, I never felt unsafe here, though I also never went off the beaten track, something I did constantly in Japan.
4. People were 50-50, either they were smiling or scowling. I had people who seemed super customer oriented, and also a lady hit me with her cane and yelled "YOU CHEAP! THAI MONEY WORTH NOTHING!" when I didn't want to pay her for fish food she was showing in my face (we were near a pond). It was funny, but yeah...
5. Seems like a great place to go if you want to fuck a prostitute or eat an endangered animal. Everything just seemed shady.

Seriously though, at the end of the first night I was like "I'm going to do my best to make the most of this, but holy shit, I've never been to a new place before and within hours thought "Can we just go back to the airport and leave?" you know?" and my wife agreed.

We ended up going to a couple huge malls, saw Star Wars in a theater that had beds instead of chairs, visited temples and markets. That was pretty much our 3 days in Bangkok. We ate an amazing seafood dinner at a place where I paid $7 for a stupidly large plate of lobster, crab, etc etc that was awesome. That being said, while eating my seafood, I pointed out the 3 big rats running down the edge of the building to my wife, so again, not for everyone.

Now, Chiang Mai was better for sure, if I had only gone there I imagine my Thailand review would be "Everythings run down, dirty, and smells, but the people were nice enough, the food was good, everything is dirt cheap, and its an experience so go for it." It was pretty laid back and almost tropical. Like a tropical Mexico? I guess Mexico has tropical parts too, I've just never been. My wife said "Now we know that if we are ever going back to Thailand with friends or something to just go straight here" and I was like "Uhhh why would we ever do that, we should talk our friends into going somewhere else entirely or just not go with them if they are dead set". I just can't see with limited time and money for traveling why I would ever go back to Thailand at all.

When Chiang Mai was done we flew back to Thailand for 1 night and walked around Chinatown there some, and it was pretty cool. The next morning we went back to Japan and had a 22 hour layover, so we did one last day at Akihabara. I swear, when we got off that plane to Japan we were SO RELIVED. We beelined for our hotel and took the longest showers ever, forever unclean.

In Japan you walk into a public bathroom and its clean. You go into the booth and it's basically floor to ceiling partitions, so it seems very private. You sit down on the toilet and find the seat is heated. There's a 50% chance the seat starts playing light music or ocean sounds for further privacy. The bidet squirts whatever water is in the line into the bowl, ensuring that its nice and warm for you if you need it. You hit a button and it sprays your asshole off, then you wipe to clean or just dry off and flush. You wash your hands and go leave.

In Thailand you pay to get into most public bathrooms. They are dirty and dingy and comparable to a bathroom you would find at a public park in america. You go into the stall and its basically an american stall. There is no toilet paper (the sewer system can't handle it) so if shit is wet and dirty, no way to even clean that off. You try to hover over the bowl while you shit so you don't touch anything. When you are done you reach over to the right, where there is a water sprayer thing they call a bum gun. Its the same thing you have in your kitchen sink to spray off dishes. So you reach over and pick up that cold wet thing, its wet from the ricocheting ass water of the other infinite number of people who used it before you. Try to use that without getting fucking water everywhere.. and then there is no way to dry off, so you just have to pull your pants up and let that shitty ass water soak into your clothes. Ohh and then there's a 50-50 chance of the bathroom even having sinks, and a 0% chance of there being soap. It was gross, really gross.

I just spent three weeks in SE Asia. Yes Bangkok is disgusting and smelly, but I stuck to more upscale establishments and none of it is like you say. I found it all to be very modern. Clean bathrooms, exceptional service, modern decor/aesthetic. Your standard Thai dish is better than the standard you'd find here, but honestly the best Thai food I've had has been here. Plus anything not-chicken isn't great over there. I went to some trashy hole in the wall places that had some phenomenal food, but what do you expect? I liken it to going to some shithole taqueria here. No it's not clean or visually-pleasing, but the food is fucking good and cheap.

I liked Chiang Mai much more:

1.) It's not hot as shit and is pretty cool. I have no idea what you mean by it being more tropical because tropical usually implies hot and humid. Bangkok is way more tropical. And a good chunk of Mexico is tropical so I'm not sure you know what that word means.
2.) The mountains are beautiful. I rented a car and drove to Doi Inthanon one day and I was pretty blown away. Absolutely gorgeous.
3.) The vibe in Chiang Mai is so laid back. Enjoyed it much more than Bangkok - probably due to the university there. Awesome jazz clubs and hip bars.

Fadaar

That guy
Yall are really making me regret turning down my orders to Okinawa in 2013 and getting out

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I have no idea what you mean by it being more tropical because tropical usually implies hot and humid. Bangkok is way more tropical. And a good chunk of Mexico is tropical so I'm not sure you know what that word means.

Fair enough, my background is 40 years living in AZ, so... If there is water and plant life, I guess my brain goes "tropical!" lol. All of my Mexico experiences have been near the US border, so.. dusty hot shitty desert. Bangkok was hot but not really humid in Dec/Jan when I was there, and I guess the fact it was just all just city around me the whole time made it not feel super vacation-y? Apparently I need to make words up to try any make myself understood.

In comparison, this was Chiang Mai, which in my own words above - "It was pretty laid back and almost tropical." And yes, I know my tourist pants are amazing. I'm wearing them now. :p

ChiangMai.jpg

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, I live in Hawaii. It really isn't super humid and hot, but it's extremely tropical. That said, today was warm. like 82 degrees. Hottest it reaches out here is 91. Coldest (ocean level) is only 64. However, it's currently winter, so it'll drops to the mid 70's when the sun sets. Still not cold, but when you leave your windows open all the time and don't have AC, it feels "chilly" compared to during the day.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
What island? I'm super wanting to buy land by Hilo on the big island and retire there.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What island? I'm super wanting to buy land by Hilo on the big island and retire there.
Sorry, didn't see your message until now. I live on Oahu. It's the heaviest populated island & biggest tourist trap, home of Waikiki.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>

Initial observations -

I clogged up a lot of toilets when I was in Korea. Oh well.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So planning a trip to Japan later this year. Have an 8 year old. Going for about 24 days. Looking at Mid July to Mid August. I have military friends so potentially access to military specific stuff. Tentatively thinking 7 days in the Tokyo area, hit disney and the big theme parks, go south for 7 days, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, then kinda not sure from there. Is it worth it to see northern Japan, or should we spend a few days and see Okinawa? Any reco for must see stuff/theme parks/attractions?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So planning a trip to Japan later this year. Have an 8 year old. Going for about 24 days. Looking at Mid July to Mid August. I have military friends so potentially access to military specific stuff. Tentatively thinking 7 days in the Tokyo area, hit disney and the big theme parks, go south for 7 days, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, then kinda not sure from there. Is it worth it to see northern Japan, or should we spend a few days and see Okinawa? Any reco for must see stuff/theme parks/attractions?
tokyo disneyland is rated the best disney theme park of them all, so you might want to spend 2,3 or even 4 days there. the furthest south i've been was hiroshima and even then it was a long train ride on the bullet train, you have to see how much time you want to travel vs. being in that location, the jr train pass makes it easier, not as great a value as before but from what your saying, still sounds like it'll be great for you.