Tokyo, Japan

Cybsled

The flashy trains are always uncrowded, though, which is why I liked them. The rail pass you get put in first class on the bullet trains and there would always end up being like half a dozen or less people in our car, so you could stretch out. That saved our butt one time...there was some family from China and this woman was sick as fuck and kept hacking and spitting into a fricking cup. She got into our car, then the train conductor dude going through to check tickets told them their ticket was for the economy class and moved them. It was going to be like a 2 hour trip, so I was so relieved we were saved from having to deal with that shit. Although I feel bad for the people in economy who had to put up with that.

If you go to Nara, one thing to remember is vendors sell deer snacks. The deer know this, so if they know you have the snacks (or think you have them), they will swarm you like zombies if there are a lot nearby. I remember one kid getting surrounded by like 20 deer when he brought the snacks out in a spot with tons of deer chilling out.

Oh ya Tokyo word of warning: Shinjuku can get ULTRA crowded. When I went back in May a number of years back, I was exploring the different districts. I made the mistake of ending up on the street that dealt with all the fashion stuff. Holy fucking shit, I have never felt more claustrophobic in all my life. I was trapped in a literal river of people that was barely moving and just wanted to get the fuck out, so I tried to very slowly make my way to the edge of the river of people. What was funny is after I was able to escape and go over one street through the side streets/alleys, it was empty lol. Also, most of the department stores in Tokyo center are the "higher end", so to speak. You need to get away from the center to find the middle class (ie, less expensive) stuff.

Kyoto word of warning: Kyoto isn't really know for it's restaurants. Local we knew from there even told us as such after we revealed a couple disappointing meals (Tripadvisor reviews were fucking lies....4-5 stars my ass for some of these places, always remember to check the 'recent' reviews, although I suppose that is something you need to do for any restaurant in general). Also, beware the Geisha tourist traps. They overcharge and while they are educational to a degree, they're fairly boring shows. We only saw 1 possible legit Geisha and they were getting into a car from some establishment at like midnight. Most of the "geisha" you see walking around are just cosplay.

Kyoto tip: There are a few streets that have a huge food market, among other things. Definitely worth a look. That was the first time I ever tasted fermented black garlic...was surprised how good it was, it was like a sweet garlic. Kyoto area is also known for a certain type of clay pot rice cooker/hot pot vessel (Donabe). My mom liked it, since they look nice and are also functional.

Oh ya, one more tip. Tokyo and Kyoto have very extensive subway systems, which you'll be using constantly to get around the city. If you are going to be spending any time at all there, I highly highly recommend getting the subway card vs. buying the tickets individually from the kiosks. The card was like $10 ($5 deposit for the card and $5 for fares loaded onto the card) and you could charge up the card. It removes all the guesswork about train/station transfers in terms of ticket prices/transfer credit/etc. I wasted a chunk of change doing the individual ticket shit because I didn't understand how their station transfer system worked/etc, until I figured out the card simplified the whole thing by a large factor.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The flashy trains are always uncrowded, though, which is why I liked them. The rail pass you get put in first class on the bullet trains and there would always end up being like half a dozen or less people in our car, so you could stretch out. That saved our butt one time...there was some family from China and this woman was sick as fuck and kept hacking and spitting into a fricking cup. She got into our car, then the train conductor dude going through to check tickets told them their ticket was for the economy class and moved them. It was going to be like a 2 hour trip, so I was so relieved we were saved from having to deal with that shit. Although I feel bad for the people in economy who had to put up with that.

If you go to Nara, one thing to remember is vendors sell deer snacks. The deer know this, so if they know you have the snacks (or think you have them), they will swarm you like zombies if there are a lot nearby. I remember one kid getting surrounded by like 20 deer when he brought the snacks out in a spot with tons of deer chilling out.

Oh ya Tokyo word of warning: Shinjuku can get ULTRA crowded. When I went back in May a number of years back, I was exploring the different districts. I made the mistake of ending up on the street that dealt with all the fashion stuff. Holy fucking shit, I have never felt more claustrophobic in all my life. I was trapped in a literal river of people that was barely moving and just wanted to get the fuck out, so I tried to very slowly make my way to the edge of the river of people. What was funny is after I was able to escape and go over one street through the side streets/alleys, it was empty lol. Also, most of the department stores in Tokyo center are the "higher end", so to speak. You need to get away from the center to find the middle class (ie, less expensive) stuff.

Kyoto word of warning: Kyoto isn't really know for it's restaurants. Local we knew from there even told us as such after we revealed a couple disappointing meals (Tripadvisor reviews were fucking lies....4-5 stars my ass for some of these places, always remember to check the 'recent' reviews, although I suppose that is something you need to do for any restaurant in general). Also, beware the Geisha tourist traps. They overcharge and while they are educational to a degree, they're fairly boring shows. We only saw 1 possible legit Geisha and they were getting into a car from some establishment at like midnight. Most of the "geisha" you see walking around are just cosplay.

Kyoto tip: There are a few streets that have a huge food market, among other things. Definitely worth a look. That was the first time I ever tasted fermented black garlic...was surprised how good it was, it was like a sweet garlic. Kyoto area is also known for a certain type of clay pot rice cooker/hot pot vessel (Donabe). My mom liked it, since they look nice and are also functional.

Oh ya, one more tip. Tokyo and Kyoto have very extensive subway systems, which you'll be using constantly to get around the city. If you are going to be spending any time at all there, I highly highly recommend getting the subway card vs. buying the tickets individually from the kiosks. The card was like $10 ($5 deposit for the card and $5 for fares loaded onto the card) and you could charge up the card. It removes all the guesswork about train/station transfers in terms of ticket prices/transfer credit/etc. I wasted a chunk of change doing the individual ticket shit because I didn't understand how their station transfer system worked/etc, until I figured out the card simplified the whole thing by a large factor.

The cards actually give you a cheaper rate as well, but if you're getting a rail pass that should cover most of your travel on these lines

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea kyoto was garbage for food, HOWEVER the Nishiki Market was amazing, just walk the 8blocks(? less) length and grab food and eat on the side (you can't/shouldn't walk and eat), we went our last day, if i had to do it over again, i'd go here every morning for breakfast/brunch.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Do you mean Harajuku? Take a shit street(takeshita st) is pretty much avoid. It's just for teens more or less, but always shoulder to shoulder. It does have good deserts, and relatively cheap clothing(75% girls but prob like US average price with Southeast Asia quality ie hit/miss). I just walked around it by going down omotesando, which is where all the high end shops are.. Then either hop on cat street or in the back side of harajuku, where more interesting boutiques are. If you're looking for clothes, maybe I can help you.. Idk. I spent my time making money by doing buy/trade. Japanese brands are definitely the go-to, because they're often marked up quite a bit in the west.. Esp if it is a Made in Japan item.

As far as Shinjuku goes, I can't remember much crowding aside from in/around the trainstation since it's a central hub. It's possible he was there around Golden week, idk.. I mostly posted up around the big yodobashi camera around the west exit, and shopped for my housing supplies at the Tokyu Hands right off the station. If you walk or go to Shin-Okubo.. Yeah that is crowded as shit because it's a small side walk trying to house the Korean wave love.. But they've been trying to remodel it a bit.

Not sure though, outside of events, tourist traps, pois, and such.. Takeshita St is the only place I know aside from stations that is nightmare levels of crowded.

Ex. Trying to leave hanabi matsuri in Odaiba..

Snapchat-977121469.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, that was it. Harajuku and that was probably the street. Fuck that street lol

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Also a thing I noticed on Takeshita st. I had been there before and didn't notice the first time.

There's these groups of Nigerian scammers who actually operate in the street. Not via Email scams this time. They lure people into businesses that then have jacked up prices + other variations on a huge rip off. I know this now after doing some research into what I saw when I was there.

So to explain, this time when I was walking in Takeshita st, I guess I was more aware of my surroundings, ( BTW I was only really there for a desert crepe ) anyway, I spotted these guys from a distance out and I could see that they were scoping the crowd for targets. I got myself ready to give a quick 'No, thanks' response and keep walking. Closer and the guys aren't even looking at me, instead a one of them picks a Japanese guy in front of me. Going over and overly friendly starts to talk and introduce himself and shaking his hand. The Nigerian guy was quite a big guy so he's standing over the Japanese dude.

And that's what they do, target Japanese men, as they're way out of their comfort zone if they needed to tell someone a solid No!, or go to a more direct "Fuck off, I ain't interested!" With the way that Japanese are raised and cultural reasons (?) that sort of thing just isn't done. These scammers have set up there to take advantage of it.

Me, I'm a 6 foot 3 Aussie. Try testing my patience and see how well that goes. I'm polite and well mannered, to a point.

Reading about it after getting home, this has been going on a while, when the police ( gov officials ) try to crack down on them, it's countered with cries of "Racism, Racism" plus some people even speculate that the Yakuza might be involved, due to it being a long running criminal activity on their home 'turf'

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also a thing I noticed on Takeshita st. I had been there before and didn't notice the first time.

There's these groups of Nigerian scammers who actually operate in the street. Not via Email scams this time. They lure people into businesses that then have jacked up prices + other variations on a huge rip off. I know this now after doing some research into what I saw when I was there.

So to explain, this time when I was walking in Takeshita st, I guess I was more aware of my surroundings, ( BTW I was only really there for a desert crepe ) anyway, I spotted these guys from a distance out and I could see that they were scoping the crowd for targets. I got myself ready to give a quick 'No, thanks' response and keep walking. Closer and the guys aren't even looking at me, instead a one of them picks a Japanese guy in front of me. Going over and overly friendly starts to talk and introduce himself and shaking his hand. The Nigerian guy was quite a big guy so he's standing over the Japanese dude.

And that's what they do, target Japanese men, as they're way out of their comfort zone if they needed to tell someone a solid No!, or go to a more direct "Fuck off, I ain't interested!" With the way that Japanese are raised and cultural reasons (?) that sort of thing just isn't done. These scammers have set up there to take advantage of it.

Me, I'm a 6 foot 3 Aussie. Try testing my patience and see how well that goes. I'm polite and well mannered, to a point.

Reading about it after getting home, this has been going on a while, when the police ( gov officials ) try to crack down on them, it's countered with cries of "Racism, Racism" plus some people even speculate that the Yakuza might be involved, due to it being a long running criminal activity on their home 'turf'
google already found one in the early morning

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Okay, low quality image from my phone. I wasn't even taking this photo to get the guy in shot, but there on the right.

Dindu_dori_20-173256.jpg

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Those Nigerian mofos are annoying as hell. My brother almost went to bat on one when the Nigerian grabbed his arm and yanked him.

• 1Truth!

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Haha, yeah the Nigerian's are the worst. They didn't tend to bother me much on Takeshita St, I mostly saw them hassle younger males to go to their shops to buy stuff. Often selling fake Supreme and other various clothing. I'm not sure how they did their targeting, but my trick was always to walk around with headphones in, even if I wasn't listening to anything.. It also helped with the scummy art dealer venues that are spread everywhere. I did stalk a drug deal once, was pretty funny.. the two tourist couldn't make it any more obvious, let alone were sketched out if they got scammed.

They're really bad/aggressive around the Golden Gai and Kabukicho areas, they try to take you to their bar/establishment chinese style.. once you enter, you owe them money. I believe you can get out of it, unlike China.. but its going to be a lot of wasted time. One of my flatmates had a friend from the Netherlands come visit and we decided to go barhopping at Golden Gai, and one of the the Nigerians was grabbing him and from what he said was that the dude was legit pulling him.. He eventually decked the shit out of him, we thought we were going to have a brawl but the other two Nigerians just picked him up and started yelling. One of the bar keeps close to the cowboy bar or whatever the fuck western bar is it, ended up waving us into her bar then just talking to us about how horrible they are and terrible for business, that they're going to be the reason golden gai gets shut down, ect ect. Was actually a pretty interesting/fun night tbh.

Around like 5, or 6am in Shinjuku they have a PSA that goes off in quite a few different languages that tells you to not trust, follow, or take anything from the Nigerians. Basically stating that if you do, there is nothing the law enforcement can do to help you; if I remember correctly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Tokyo is a great city to visit, just fuck those tourist trap areas.

Japan has some of the lowest crime rates in the world and there's plenty of great things to see , experience , eat , etc without needing to go into those tourist spots.

Wakandan's trying their best to ruin it.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I love, and absolutely miss living in Tokyo; just Japan in general. If I weren't America, I would dive for that Holiday Visa(I think a 1yr visa with no requirements of work/school).. if you're not American, you should look into it. Once I finish up schooling, I might take sometime to do JET and try to network my way into living; I made friends w/ tokyovitamin, a creative collective and i've shared some good convo's with tokyocameraguy, and hung out with tokyofashion guy; og harajuku photographer that use to do photography for fruits magazine; all IG names. I have a lot of family in the Asia area, specifically Shanghai, Bangkok, and Singapore.

On the note of crime, usually its just not reported because I don't know why the fuck, documentation and paperwork? It's still super safe comparatively, but don't go out and get black out drunk.. because you could still lose shit. Kawasaki and Yokohama are like the "ghetto" or crime ridden districts, Osaka is known to have more criminal activity too.. but in Tokyo, its pretty isolated to the Kabukicho area in Shinjuku. I spent time trying to find Yakuza, cus dey cool.. but from my understanding their activity is on the low end as of recently. I've had my friend get lifted for his phone and wallet a twice in the past year(Philipino/American looking) but his drunkenness is next level.. I've seen salary men hunched over vomitting, while another person who doesn't look relatively associated sift through his pockets. My friend had his wallet jacketed at a sento(public bath) on the outer area's of Shinjuku because he was too drunk to lock his lockbox. I hear credit card scheming is pretty normal in drinking establishments, so use cash only when going out to clubs and bars.. I haven't ran into an issue, but again I used cash. Also pre-game strong zeros, 9% alcohol that doesn't taste -terrible- sorta taste of a vodka w/ club/flavor.. but knock back like 3 of those, then you won't spend so much at bars for their poorly mixed drinks. Ie, Long Island is just like a thing of dark liquor, and some coke.. Any next level mix drink, think of one of the liquors, and one of the mixers.. and thats all you get for 1000y.

I've only had maybe 4? incidences where it was going to become a fight, but often times the Japanese person backed down. Salarymen tend to shoulder check in crowds to let off steam, or just anyone.. but are too scared to rise up to the confrontation.. chasing them down and being like what the fuck.. they whimper. Had an incident on Halloween in Shibuya where my Japanese friend bumped into some Japanese tough guys, and he was being apologetic, telling him it was an accident but the second they started shoving him a few of us stood up and they scurried off yelling at us.. Granted I'm usually hanging out w/ early twenties to mid twenties, so it could be a non-factor.

Look for Nomihodai, its basically all you can drink; usually around the 1,500y to 2,000y.. You can tack it on with a Tabehodai establishment, and sometimes its only 1,000-1,500y extra to a 2,000y all you can eat bill. There are quite a few really good places, but i'll let you discover that on your own unless otherwise. DJ bars are way better than clubs, because clubs are literally filled with foreigners trying to find japanese girls, and vice versa.. there are a few good clubs, but its better to go during events. Clubs are also sorta weird because its not necessarily the same environment.. but if you really wanted to do a club without any sort of event/show, I would say look at doing one in Akiba because it is different.. anime, but different.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>

Shinjuku.jpg
Shin 2.jpg

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
That's ME! People got used to it after the fourth hour, started taking pictures of me.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ohh, Yakitori. NIce.

We have a really high end yakitori place out here.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just came back, word of advise don't go during the xmas-new year arc, lulz. fucking japs are crazy with their temples, for a city known to shut down ALL subways at 12am, they run 24/7 for new years so ppl can pray at 4am

*edit

also theres some fallout between google and japan so google doesn't really include shinsaken times and transfers anymore, i used this app

to plan my routes when i went from osaka to gero and then tokyo.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Just came back, word of advise don't go during the xmas-new year arc, lulz. fucking japs are crazy with their temples, for a city known to shut down ALL subways at 12am, they run 24/7 for new years so ppl can pray at 4am

*edit

also theres some fallout between google and japan so google doesn't really include shinsaken times and transfers anymore, i used this app

to plan my routes when i went from osaka to gero and then tokyo.

Weirdly enough most Japanese use Yahoo to get their train details. Yahoo is strangely popular in Japan.

I go to temple myself every year. Partially to pray, partially to eat street food at the food stalls. I live within walking distance though.