Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 5 Votes
Title: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, War & Politics

First aired: 2018-08-31

Creator: Graham Roland, Carlton Cuse

Cast: John Krasinski, Abbie Cornish, Wendell Pierce

Overview: When CIA analyst Jack Ryan stumbles upon a suspicious series of bank transfers his search for answers pulls him from the safety of his desk job and catapults him into a deadly game of cat and mouse throughout Europe and the Middle East, with a rising terrorist figurehead preparing for a massive attack against the US and her allies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
This needs some John Clark super soldier showing up and wrecking shit for me to be interested.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
CIA Analysts "get activated" for crappy action remakes. They'd be better off making a comedy series about NSA Analysts watching people's browser histories and exaggerated office hijinks.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Hunt for Red October is a really well written book and a pretty well done movie. Part of why it works is because Jack isn't a field op and doesn't remotely pretend to be. He am smart. That is what he does. As someone mentioned previously, if you want a field op show, give us the adventures of John Clark.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Didn't realize it was only 8 episodes, been looking forward to this since the Super Bowl trailer. Enjoyed the 1st episode.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I keep reading this as Tom Clancy's Jack Reacher.

Tom Cruise would be better in this role anyway.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
First episode was good, although they crammed a lot into it, so it wasn't as fleshed out as I'd like. I haven't read the books so I can't say how true this is to the Jack Ryan setting, but it works just fine as a CIA VS the turrists type show

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not as bad as the last Jack Ryan movie, but Clancy's still probably rolling in his grave. I watched 3 eps and don't see myself bothering with the rest unless I get really desperate.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, I binged it and it's definitely a watchable show, but so full of contrivances that it requires a lot of suspension of belief to give a shit about the plot. People do incredibly dumb things that leads to shit happening, and dumb luck constantly falls into Ryan's lap. Krasinski and Pierce are really the only things that hold it together

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think they did a good job of showing the plight of a lot of people in that region without completely dismissing the fact that they still make their own decisions to be terrorists.

I was worried because I have read that Krasinski is a little bit of a bleeding heart.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think they did a good job of showing the plight of a lot of people in that region without completely dismissing the fact that they still make their own decisions to be terrorists.

I was worried because I have read that Krasinski is a little bit of a bleeding heart.

I noticed that too. The flashbacks in Paris and the goofy drone pilot stuff initially made me think they were going to try to excuse their actions with some "the west made them this way" sort of heavy handedness, but they did a great job at showing the basis for their motivations, while never taking away that they were doing monstrous things.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Krasinski and Pierce have great chemistry. I thought the pacing was great, and they managed to pack in quite a bit. I have not read the books so not sure how it compares, but for a TV show I dig it. Looking forward to the next season.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I quite enjoyed it. Nothing like the books, but they were written in a difference era so understandable they'd change it and make it more releveant. I do wish they'd kept Ryan as a office nerd spy though, rather than a superman who can do everything and is always right. I like the length too. Eight episodes was great for providing a good amount of depth, without going on irrelant or poitless side stories and red herrings, or random plot twists and double crosses, like 24 was prone to do all too often.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm enjoying it, they clearly spared no expense on the production of the thing. I do like how they show the motivational aspects of the bad guys. After all no one ever really paints themselves as the bad guy, just ones definition of good varies significantly especially when it comes to the price you are willing to pay for what you perceive as the greater good.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Most of Clancy movies didn't remotely keep to the books anyways. I think if they just made this it's own show (instead of trying to make it a Clancy thing for the publicity) it would suffer less. I'm on the 4th episode and it's pretty whatever. It's watchable, I wouldn't recommend it though.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database