Tom Clancy's The Division

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Games have come out, but none of them are blockbusters. I'm talking about polished, mass-market appeal games that make for good watercooler talk. Dragon's Dogma? The Heavy Rain re-release? Sorry, that's laughably niche gaming. Also note that every game you listed is either a sequel or a re-release. The Division is a brand-new tentpole AAA title.

I agree with you on the game so far but this is pretty false.

1) Rise of the Tomb Raider -Probably the only title on this list that can stand up to AAA scrutiny
2) Xcom 2 -Great game, but far too niche
3) Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen for PC -Nobody cares about Dragon's Dogma
4) Dying Light: The Following -Good DLC, but DLC nonetheless
5) Street Fighter 5 (if that's your thing) -Sorry, but fighting games will never be classified as blockbusters, except Smash Bros
6) Far Cry Primal (Was shit and won't play it until it's on sale but captured a lot of attention)People have already caught on to the Far Cry recycled cash-grab
7) Heavy Rain for PS4 (In case no one played it for PS3) -Nobody cares about Heavy Rain
8) Zelda Twilight Princess HD -Another remake/rehash. Nope.
9) Fire Emblem Fates -Again, massively niche

Going forward into June/July:

Yeah, June/July. Still three months away. Not relevant to this discussion.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
edit; I read those posts all wrong, nevermind. I think Ut and Valk maybe you could both be correct. There wasn't anything competing with The Division's genre for quite some time surrounding this release, and Rainbow Six (I believe) was the last thing that generated a decent amount of hype which didn't even come close to scratching the just previously released Black Ops3, etc.
Ut, I'm glad you rationally gave the game a chance and I agree with you also. I think they just overall did a pretty good job of putting it all together and it is a HUGE welcoming gesture away from the shitty ass deal Bungie/AV were handing us with Destiny. Hopefully Destiny 2 will drastically shape it the fuck up because they are going to have some open world/RPG/FPS competition from now on for sure.

Regardless, I think a lot of people who enjoy shit like Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell, etc. were looking for to this for a lot of similar reasons - I definitely was. I think Ghost Recon: Wildlands will also be a fantastically huge hit but not in the same immediate success story way that The Division is. I think they have a pretty high chance of fucking nailing it with GR WL and word will get out and they will sell a fuckton of copies.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Games have come out, but none of them are blockbusters. I'm talking about polished, mass-market appeal games that make for good watercooler talk. Dragon's Dogma? The Heavy Rain re-release? Sorry, that's laughably niche gaming. Also note that every game you listed is either a sequel or a re-release. The Division is a brand-new tentpole AAA title.
Oh ok
rolleyes.png

You said AAA game releases. That's what those are. Scrutiny? All of them are insanely popular IP's. Division, new IP.

I am sick to death of publishers thinking they need to put their games up against others in release time-frames and then either using it as a scapegoat for failure, or this is why it succeeded. A game succeeds on it's own merits. (Combined with a lot of hype and how much marketing noise there is)

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I can't honestly recall a time when a game fucking tanked because something else released alongside it. That list contains so many fucking different genres. The only reason I could imagine is because people are too poor to buy all the 17 games they want released in February or whatever and end up picking them up later, haha.

I mean, yeah, we hear the excuse all the time but can it actually be true? What's a good example of two games of huge magnitude that are even on production value that ended up conflicting so much that one tanked the other? If they are the same genre I could see it reasonably happening in a case or two, but other than that...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's not really that surprising that this has done so well. Destiny did pretty damn well, and I know there has to be a market in the PC user base for a Destiny-like game. Division doesn't really do anything amazing or revolutionary for sure, but it also doesn't really fuck anything up either. It's very playable, looks and runs great, has great co-op play, some surprisingly compelling pvp stuff to do. etc. It's also released during the usual spring slump of game releases, before any of the real big time names like Dark Souls come out, so it's not competing against much, especially given its genre (is it really competing with anything on the PC? Borderlands maybe?).

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I can't honestly recall a time when a game fucking tanked because something else released alongside it. That list contains so many fucking different genres. The only reason I could imagine is because people are too poor to buy all the 17 games they want released in February or whatever and end up picking them up later, haha.

I mean, yeah, we hear the excuse all the time but can it actually be true? What's a good example of two games of huge magnitude that are even on production value that ended up conflicting so much that one tanked the other? If they are the same genre I could see it reasonably happening in a case or two, but other than that...
Closest thing to that happening is probably Tomb Raider releasing the same day as Fallout 4.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone played this for both PC and PS4?

Is PC miles above the PS4 or are they nearly equal? Any good comparison between the two?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played both but went PS4 due to the cheating that was happening during beta, curious what PC players are seeing as well.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is this game going to be forever winter or do they have the ability to change seasons etc.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't seen anything that made me thinking someone is cheating in the darkzone yet on PC, but it's still only a few days in so who knows.

Visually on PC at 1440p it pretty much shits on ps4, but that isn't surprising.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I had to back off of ultra at 1440p cause I'm autistic about my framerate and it was dipping below 60 in a couple places, but yea holy goddamn is this game pretty.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It's got my vid card pegged at 99% constantly, so the engine is pretty solid. I've spent maybe 5 minutes in the DZ, so no clue about PC cheaters. Why did BDO have to come out when this did? QQ :*(

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got to level 6, joined a team of two aspys, spend 1.5 hours fighting a lvl 8 boss wiping 5-6 times, kill him finally, aspy a trains last two little purple mobs to us and flame throws all 3 of us to death. Legit cursed out my tv haha. Game can be surprisingly tough, but it's still satisfying. Pleasantly surprised that this is pretty good. Glad I bought it!

spronk

FPS noob
just hit 30 today, here's my little gay asian man after doing one of the daily missions - there are two, plus a daily challenge mode mission. each gives phoenix points which I think is for DZ gear. All the gear drops are from missions, haven't bought anything from a vendor yet. I'd recommend not bothering with DZ until you hit 30, at 30 you get much better drops and killing PVE mobs gives a LOT more xp/cash so below that is kinda pointless. All this was solo btw, I queued for every mission but only got someone to talk with once in 15 missions, everything else was dead silent.

just kinda interested to see how far up my numbers can go over the next week, at that point I'll probably be done with the game for a while

9y0beck.jpg

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd recommend not bothering with DZ until you hit 30, at 30 you get much better drops and killing PVE mobs gives a LOT more xp/cash so below that is kinda pointless.
I'm only level 15, but the deadzone hasn't been too terrible since I have a group of four friends that I always play with. I mean we end up getting demolished most of the time, but I think it's worth a look before you hit 30.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The grind to 50 is on another level. The challenge missions are more fun than nightfalls - However i cant really explain why considering the dudes that rush at you have crazy shields and are 2 levels up. I guess its just the part of it where you have to actually be tactical and put some thought into which abilities everyone is running and where you position yourself to maximize.

@140 Scav i got the Caduceus or whatever from a boss at random - promptly deconstructed the PoS
redface.png

Its hard to find a better combo than an SMG/MM, the LMG/MM its good or LMG/SMG but ARs just seem like crap atm,

MossyBank

N00b
uLqqfbn.jpg

This is me after 40 hours in, done everything including dark zone stuff completely solo so far. I actually find going lone wolf a lot more fun, although it does not seem that many people go rogue anyway, because the incentives are not very good. Game is fun as hell, but i'll probably lose interest once I finish gearing out. The end game so far for me seems to be farming named bosses in the DZ for Phoenix and spending them on high end patterns. I saw a few streamers doing the challenge mode missions, and it does not seem that rewarding for the time spent on it. But i'm happy that they made it very difficult.. looking forward to raid content and see how that looks in a game like this.