Tomorrowland

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I enjoyed this, but it was a bit disappointing overall because it had a lot of potential. My biggest gripe is that for a movie called "Tomorrowland", we don't get very much Tomorrowland. Details in spoiler if anyone is interested:

At the beginning of the film we get a little tour of Tomorrowland in a couple scenes, maybe 5 - 10 minutes total. The bulk of the movie takes place in the regular world, present day. By the time we see Tomorrowland again it's present day and it's in a majorly dilapidated state that is basically just miles and miles of empty concrete. In addition, they never really explain what happened between its prime and the present that caused it to die so severely. I THINK they imply that it happened because they stopped letting new people in, and thus over the decades the population dwindled, but I don't think that explains the post-apocalyptic appearance that the present day Tomorrowland has. This is especially true given the level of technology they were shown to possess in Tomorrowland, making it seem like a place that could pretty much run itself without any human presence whatsoever.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I enjoyed this, but it was a bit disappointing overall because it had a lot of potential. My biggest gripe is that for a movie called "Tomorrowland", we don't get very much Tomorrowland. Details in spoiler if anyone is interested:

At the beginning of the film we get a little tour of Tomorrowland in a couple scenes, maybe 5 - 10 minutes total. The bulk of the movie takes place in the regular world, present day. By the time we see Tomorrowland again it's present day and it's in a majorly dilapidated state that is basically just miles and miles of empty concrete. In addition, they never really explain what happened between its prime and the present that caused it to die so severely. I THINK they imply that it happened because they stopped letting new people in, and thus over the decades the population dwindled, but I don't think that explains the post-apocalyptic appearance that the present day Tomorrowland has. This is especially true given the level of technology they were shown to possess in Tomorrowland, making it seem like a place that could pretty much run itself without any human presence whatsoever.
I don't think thats the case though I did wonder that because
when clooney is talking to house about age, he says "Age looks good on you" (to clooney) and he responds with you should try it & house mentions some kind of Shake he drinks implying it makes him immortal/very slow to age?

Not really sure what happened to drive the population down as it did look hella empty towards the climax.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damon Lindelof usually puts a cap on how good a movie can be.
oh...he wrote this? well...i wonder way you say that
smile.png

prometheus-30-q.jpg

world_war_z.jpg

51tOaRaxvQL.jpg

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
We enjoyed it enough to be happy to pay for the price of admission. I'm glad they at least had a new IP instead of rehashing another Disney franchise.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The basic concept of it still seems odd after seeing it. Lets take the best and brightest and then lure them to tomorrow land so its unlikely they will ever bother helping earth become less of a shithole.

Szlia

This scenario has the Ayn Rand / Walt Disney seal of approval... SPOILER SPOILER The "funny" part is the plot does not say word one about why Tomorrowland collapsed and why the new Tomorrowland (that works on the exact same Randian premise) will not. It's too bad because for the longest time it feels the movie would have the Neil de Grasse Tyson seal of approval (inspire youth!).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This scenario has the Ayn Rand / Walt Disney seal of approval... SPOILER SPOILER The "funny" part is the plot does not say word one about why Tomorrowland collapsed and why the new Tomorrowland (that works on the exact same Randian premise) will not. It's too bad because for the longest time it feels the movie would have the Neil de Grasse Tyson seal of approval (inspire youth!).
I know that was sort of my whole question. What happened to tomorrow land in the first place where it honestly looks worse and more dismal than earth and why do they expect to try the same formula again and not expect the same thing to happen. Immortal naval gazing that refuses to bother with puny mortals let alone give them any of their fancy tech they themselves apparently can't be bothered to use any more.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So how does the movie fair for kids? Judging by the reviews and what has been said, I can't really grasp if this leans more towards a decent kids movie or a mediocre adult movie? (maybe it's both)

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
So how does the movie fair for kids? Judging by the reviews and what has been said, I can't really grasp if this leans more towards a decent kids movie or a mediocre adult movie? (maybe it's both)
I think they'd get bored depending on age. There are some cooler scenes with robots and fancy guns, but overall a lot of higher level tech and giberish that'd go over their head.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think younger tweens may enjoy it but I am not really certain as to what audience this movie was really aimed at. It has a lot of interesting things in it but then just totally ignores some very obvious elephants in the room that get very distracting.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just watched this and really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the movie. The ending falls flat, which isn't a surprise now that I've re-read this thread and learned it was written by Lindelof, and as mentioned above there are a lot of things left unexplained. However, I still think it was worth the watch because even if there was very little actual Tomorrowland, there was still enough cool stuff to keep me interested, and all three of the main actors did a great job in my opinion. I really liked the main girl (don't worry, she's 25 even though she is probably playing 15), and surprisingly the young girl was great too, and I'm not usually a fan of child actors. Clooney was Clooney, which is almost always good.

I know this tanked and killed a lot of Disney's drive for new IPs, let alone sequels, but I'd happily watch another couple movies in the same world if they kept the main actors. As long as they got someone that can actually finish a story to write it, of course.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Buddy and his two sons came over last night to watch Avengers 2 in my theater room and asked if I had this yet. If I have them over next weekend to watch this are the boys going to like it? I think they are ages 8 and 13.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Pirating avengers 2... You're a heathen! Marvel deserves ALL of our hard earned money. Ok, maybe not, but I love the movies so will continue to pay to see them in theaters in addition to paying for the blurays when they are released.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Buddy and his two sons came over last night to watch Avengers 2 in my theater room and asked if I had this yet. If I have them over next weekend to watch this are the boys going to like it? I think they are ages 8 and 13.
I want to say yes, but I'm so far removed from that mindset that I can't be sure. There was plenty of good action and cool stuff to look at, but I can't be sure if it will all make sense or resonate with both ages. And there are moments of exposition which could go over the younger ones head at least, but I'd say give it a shot if they want to watch it.

As for Avengers, I have watched the pirated version a couple of times (after paying for the movie), but still have the bluray on pre-order, so it isn't always just one or the other.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would give this a 4.5/10. You dont find out what the movie is about until the very end and it was a pretty stupid plot. As for the female actors the main girl I found annoying but thought the young girl athena did good. Tomorrowland was barely in the movie also wtf

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pirating avengers 2... You're a heathen! Marvel deserves ALL of our hard earned money. Ok, maybe not, but I love the movies so will continue to pay to see them in theaters in addition to paying for the blurays when they are released.
Saw it in the theater and will be buying it on bluray as well. Sue me if I want to watch it a couple weeks early.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The basic concept of it still seems odd after seeing it. Lets take the best and brightest and then lure them to tomorrow land so its unlikely they will ever bother helping earth become less of a shithole.
Reminded me of Bioshock. A city of the best and brightest do not a perfect world make. I *loved* the movie up to the last 20 min when it just felt rushed and had to wrap it all up.

Something I did not get; When they "land" its on an abandoned airfield kind of place... why is this part of the city ruined? It did not seem like the city itself was in decay and considering the AA:s its not like they could not run basic maintenance.

spronk

FPS noob
Reminded me of Bioshock. A city of the best and brightest do not a perfect world make. I *loved* the movie up to the last 20 min when it just felt rushed and had to wrap it all up.

Something I did not get; When they "land" its on an abandoned airfield kind of place... why is this part of the city ruined? It did not seem like the city itself was in decay and considering the AA:s its not like they could not run basic maintenance.
Saw this today and the Bioshock quote is spot on, it felt like a shitty prequel to Bioshock. The first 3/4ths of the movie is interesting but in typical Lindelof fashion he can't properly conclude a story so it all turns into utter rubbish in the last 20 minutes. Its a shame Brad Bird got Lindelof'd.