Tool might eventually release a new album someday

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to be a very Slash-ian "my ear knows what to do" and I figured out more advanced theory later. Granted, I was properly trained on piano and saxophone before I even started playing guitar. So I had the foundation and even an advanced understanding prior. Just I mostly figured out the guitar on my own and I started applying my knowledge after learning boring rudiments and cover songs.

iannis

Musty Nester
The thing I find with music theory is the more I learn, the more trapped I feel. I wish I had never learned theory.
It can legitimately be a problem.

I never had a problem writing, theory made my writing much better, but the more theory I learned the more it interfered with performamce. They are two different modes of thinking about music. In some people they are compatible, in some it's even a positive interaction. In other, like myself, one mode becomes dominant and suppresses the other.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
there was a time when i felt like learning theory was affecting my creativity. it wasn't til years later that i was able to use it on a "grok" level and became able to apply it more organically and also vice versa use it to much more easily learn songs by ear. i've said it before and it's probably a bit hokey, but i honestly attribute it to substance abuse. playing on small amounts of alcohol or marijuana loosened me up and allowed me to translate ideas to actual performance at an off-the-cuff level/speed. and playing on psychedelics after listening to music and reading about theory leading up to the experience really helped things click in a long-term sense (i.e. in the future the psychedelics weren't required to keep it up, they just helped me to learn it).

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

1. Fear Inoculum.
1*AInWIKV5Id219YYUZfpSbA.jpeg

1*AInWIKV5Id219YYUZfpSbA.jpeg

The song opens with a modulated bell noise. Danny wasn’t in the studio one day, so we decided to have fun with his stupid gong he has set up. I smacked that thing with my schlong really hard and we recorded it. We then pitch shifted it up 3 octaves and there ya go. The cello was recorded by Devo, my breed.

2. Pneuma.

We let Danny go nuts with this one. Drums are the center piece of this album and we wanted to show it off early. He’s pretty old and rickety nowadays, so we knew that we had to frontload the album with the cool drumming if we were ever going to play the whole thing live.

3. Litanie Contre La Peur

Not much to say here. It’s an interlude. You know how Adam “Michelangelo” Jones gets.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It just leaked.

tried to PM you to ask if you had a good tracker for the leak, but you don't accept PMs it looks like? so yeah, there <-- haha. the only Torrent i can find has 3 seeders and like 104 leechers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Del

Vyemm Raider
My normal torrent site is fucked up right now. Seems like the album broke the tracker.

I downloaded it from here. FI2019.rar

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My normal torrent site is fucked up right now. Seems like the album broke the tracker.

I downloaded it from here. FI2019.rar

lol i was just about to post that link, i stuck it in a pastebin so we don't get indexed on google searches, but might be too late now :p

have to change the .mp3's in the file names to .m4a's for whatever fucking reason lol

• 1Like

Del

Vyemm Raider
All incredibly good songs imo. Invincible sounds even better on the album with the extra layers than it did live. But right now I'm thinking Culling Voices might be my favorite. Maynard sounds great on it.

I can't believe I'm still up listening to this.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just now listening. First riff to really grab my attention was at the end of Invincible, about 32 minutes into the album. And it ended up being really disappointing because it only lasted two measures (right before the hard rest / pause, you know the bit)

Overall so far, it definitely sounds like Tool, but it's like someone took all the more boring groove parts from Lateralus and 10,000 Days and stuck them together into an album. These sorts of riffs were always the more contemplative chill parts between the intense climactic hooks. This has none of the hooks I love.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
7empest is pretty damn good tho. Whole album should have been like this. Starts stronger than it ends but definitely the best track on the album. Even with all the gimmicky time signatures that are multiples of 7 :p

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I respect the hell out of these guys. I'll wait until release. Hate to be one of those assholes, but maybe spoilers till then?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
But I dont wanna

I mean, at this point what else is there to discuss? Any speculation about what the album will be like is moot at this point. Not sure what else there really is to discuss. I'll put any future stuff in spoilers tho.