Tool might eventually release a new album someday

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
anyone have a good download with the segue tracks included? supposedly this link: New Music Leak has it but i can't get past their stupid survey verification shit to find out.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I feel very underwhelmed by this album, it's not bad by any means but like.. it's not great either lol

edit: 7empest is very good though

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I heard that the leak is a red herring and they just made a bunch of Tool sounding songs they knew would have a tepid reception and that they’re going to release the actual album tomorrow and people are gonna love it that much more compared to the leaked stuff.

I didn’t actually hear that but it would be cool though.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard that the leak is a red herring and they just made a bunch of Tool sounding songs they knew would have a tepid reception and that they’re going to release the actual album tomorrow and people are gonna love it that much more compared to the leaked stuff.

I didn’t actually hear that but it would be cool though.

People said that about 10,000 days as well. I think the thing with Tool albums is that they're very complex, and you have to spend some time with them to actually appreciate them, so knee-jerk negative reactions are to be expected.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
After 10 listens or so I'm still very 'meh' about this. It's all well made and sounds good, but I find it to be very uninspired relative to their other work. I find myself wanting to shut it off and just listen to the new Slipknot album.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
People said that about 10,000 days as well. I think the thing with Tool albums is that they're very complex, and you have to spend some time with them to actually appreciate them, so knee-jerk negative reactions are to be expected.

People said it about 10KD yeah but 10KD was not nearly as good as Aenima or Lateralus either. This album is about on par with 10KD for me -- it lacks the high points like "Jambi" and "Right in Two" but it also is a lot more consistent -- 10KD has tracks I straight up skip anymore when I listen, but this album I think I'll listen to every track when I spin it in the future.

Just still isn't nearly as good as Lateralus

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got around to listening to it today.

1567178839029.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, well, what is?

Thus the problem with Tool haha. We're always going to compare it to that. This would be a 9/10 album from most bands but most people are gonna consider it a 6/10 just because Lateralus was a friggin' 12/10.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Or like a 13/8 or whatever Fibonacci-ratio-that-can-double-as-a-time-signature you want to go with

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Listening to the album with interludes for the first time now. The joke is going to be about how people paid extra to get the physical format and NOT have to listen to these things lol.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
B-Biscuit B-Biscuit made a good point. They should have held off the old album streaming release til after the new album. We were strongly reminded how awesome the classic Tool albums are via binge listening over the last few weeks, maybe if that hadn't happened this new stuff would sound better.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Sounds like Lateralus The B-Sides.
Kind of weird. I really thought we would hear some progression. However, I do like the lyrics. And it really is a drum show. Which is great. Guitar and Bass dont have any memorable riffs. Maybe we will get lucky with a surprise album with a song sync or two. Speaking of blends, hear any yet?

And what's with Keenans tone this whole album? His wine stuff and generally having a socialite living due to it has really taken the balls off. That anger and heartbreak from 10k days and all of the "fuck you God for making my mom suffer" of the previous albums is gone. Not that I mind his lyric writing and progression. It just doesn't fit within the Tool realm.

But I'm sure repeated listenings will win me over like 10k days did.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After 10 listens or so I'm still very 'meh' about this. It's all well made and sounds good, but I find it to be very uninspired relative to their other work. I find myself wanting to shut it off and just listen to the new Slipknot album.
That is an excellent alternate choice, so I cannot fault you at all.

• 1Like