Tool might eventually release a new album someday

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Del

Vyemm Raider
The prices to sit where you could actually hear and see them were in the hundreds. The $95 were to the side and behind the stage. Fuck that.
I've never seen them sell tickets for behind the stage. Where the hell are you seeing them at? lol

I got floor tickets for $105 in Des Moines back in May.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've never done it, but I've always been curious about watching a show from behind the stage, with how open the stages are, you can almost get a band's eye view. I kind of like the idea of watching the crowd.

The bigger issue for me with that seating would be the sound.

I spend a lot of money on concerts and I've just grown immune to it. I always go with friends and use it as a chance to rekindle old relationships and live out some nostalgia. Going with my elementary school buddy to this one, didn't give a shit the cost. We'll enjoy ourselves for sure.

I wish it wasn't so expensive, but paying for an experience doesn't bother me as much as paying for half the other shit I have to pay for in my life LOL!

I’ve been on stage with the artist in Red Rocks which is a pretty cool venue. While it’s cool seeing the entire crowd, especially when a big drop would happen and they all go nuts, it doesn’t sound good and it’s not really enjoyable as a show experience. We ended up going out to the crowd for most of it when we wanted to hear the music. Now doing hype man stuff and interacting with the crowd directly, that’s a blast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've never seen them sell tickets for behind the stage. Where the hell are you seeing them at? lol

I got floor tickets for $105 in Des Moines back in May.

Bankers Life field house In Indianapolis.

C02687AA-B437-4588-AAC6-D07C7F801A4B.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Gotta say, I keep listening to the album and it keeps growing on me.

Maybe it's a little too similar and "softer" than previous stuff but I'm finding that I like it more and more.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
there is LOTS of subpar music in the world that i would probably appreciate more and more if i forced myself to listen to it repeatedly despite my initial disinterest. maybe Tool doesn't deserve special treatment in this regard?

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
there is LOTS of subpar music in the world that i would probably appreciate more and more if i forced myself to listen to it repeatedly despite my initial disinterest. maybe Tool doesn't deserve special treatment in this regard?

Lol you being salty bro!

Give in to the mediocre side!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve already decided after a few listens it’s just mediocre for Tool but it’s still worth listening to. It will still enter my Tool playlist and get listened to mixed in with their other stuff, like I do with some other bands. It isn’t bad.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Synj Synj Hateyou Hateyou I agree that it's just mediocre for Tool but pretty decent in general. There really is just a lot of other stuff out there that's at the exact same "really decent" level that I've been meaning to listen to but haven't gotten around to yet. I realized why make Tool an exception? I already have listened to it more times than I've listened to, say, the newest Opeth album, which is also at the same really decent level. And Mouth of the Architect and Between the Buried and Me and -- hell, I've listened to this album more times than I've listened to the new Faith No More album from many years ago, and i used to LOVE Mike Patton, to a similar level of nostalgia as I have for Tool at this point in 2019. Why have I given Tool more of a chance? I turned it off and went to another one on my queue last time I tried listening to it. (Telling that I'm not the only one that has said that you have to "try" to listen to it, no?)

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's something that I've said of many Tool fans for a long time now... The ones that think everything Tool has done is amazing really just haven't tried looking very hard for other music they might like. Maybe they listen to the other bands that Blair mentions on the Tool news letter, or bands that have opened for Tool, or bands that Adam has mentioned in an interview, or etc etc., but they're all connected to Tool somehow, who is up on a pedestal above literally everything else.

Lateralus and Ænima were 9/10 or 10/10 for sure depending on your personal judgment scale. I'm enough of a Tool fan that I would adamantaly argue that 9 or 10/10 as being a fact rather than an opinion. But it's just those two. Idk how to put into words what they tapped into after Undertow but they lost it up their own ass by the time 10,000 Days came out. If you think they're amazing then you really must not have looked very far for better stuff. And now this album too. (I know it's ironic since they opened for Tool and have been mentioned in many interviews, but if you dig the guitar+bass interlocking/interplay on this new album then check out the 80s-90s-00s King Crimson stuff, particularly 90s and 00s. Adam really did gank a lot of his style from Robert Fripp.)

Oh and even those 90s and 00s King Vrimson albums are just pretty decent, in reality they are all about their live show. Which I suppose you could probably argue about Tool despite their recent two albums being less than stellar. Tool's live show is still pretty amazing, and yeah live performance might be the true purpose of the band rather than studio albums. Hearing some of these songs evolve out of jams and random little guitar melodies Adam would play between songs over the years from their live shows was pretty damn cool. I should get back into Tool bootlegs, I used to spend all my time in the early 00s in the Tool DC++ chat room (think IRC with file sharing built in, really ahead of it's time stuff). I've made sure to listen to a bootleg or two from each tour for the last decade or so, but I haven't done a deep dive. Hmmmmm....

Please excuse my stream of consciousness ramblings, thank you :)

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This album is some of the most padded shit I've ever heard in my life. Like 50 words in 10+ minute songs plus five or six fully instrumental tracks? Get outta here. I'm with Pharmakos.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

People are emotionally committed to things that were good always being good.

So a solid 80/100 from random band 1 isnt worth a shit, while some 65% Tool "grows on you after you hear it on repeat for 11 days straight".

Sucks, but shit happens.

They still made some of the best albums ever made imo.

And I'm sure Maynard cashed in on this enough to buy some more heritage grain farms or whatever.

• 2Worf

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
There are diehards for every band. “It’s growing on me” isn’t exactly a diehard way of describing their diehard band nor is it a glowing review.

I like it more on sequential listenings than I did at first and yes it’s better than 90% of the other garbage out there. Fight me.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It's something that I've said of many Tool fans for a long time now... The ones that think everything Tool has done is amazing really just haven't tried looking very hard for other music they might like. Maybe they listen to the other bands that Blair mentions on the Tool news letter, or bands that have opened for Tool, or bands that Adam has mentioned in an interview, or etc etc., but they're all connected to Tool somehow, who is up on a pedestal above literally everything else.

Lateralus and Ænima were 9/10 or 10/10 for sure depending on your personal judgment scale. I'm enough of a Tool fan that I would adamantaly argue that 9 or 10/10 as being a fact rather than an opinion. But it's just those two. Idk how to put into words what they tapped into after Undertow but they lost it up their own ass by the time 10,000 Days came out. If you think they're amazing then you really must not have looked very far for better stuff. And now this album too. (I know it's ironic since they opened for Tool and have been mentioned in many interviews, but if you dig the guitar+bass interlocking/interplay on this new album then check out the 80s-90s-00s King Crimson stuff, particularly 90s and 00s. Adam really did gank a lot of his style from Robert Fripp.)

Oh and even those 90s and 00s King Vrimson albums are just pretty decent, in reality they are all about their live show. Which I suppose you could probably argue about Tool despite their recent two albums being less than stellar. Tool's live show is still pretty amazing, and yeah live performance might be the true purpose of the band rather than studio albums. Hearing some of these songs evolve out of jams and random little guitar melodies Adam would play between songs over the years from their live shows was pretty damn cool. I should get back into Tool bootlegs, I used to spend all my time in the early 00s in the Tool DC++ chat room (think IRC with file sharing built in, really ahead of it's time stuff). I've made sure to listen to a bootleg or two from each tour for the last decade or so, but I haven't done a deep dive. Hmmmmm....

Please excuse my stream of consciousness ramblings, thank you :)

Every band has fans like that. The super fan that has multiple Tool tattoos. The type of fan who's identity is: Tool is my favorite band in the world. When I go to shows and meet them I just feel sorry for how uninteresting their lives are that the only thing that matters is their favorite band. And this is coming from someone that really likes music and live music. It's really weird and kind of sad.

The band I listen to more than anyone else is probably NIN. I've seen them 6 times. I have two gig posters hanging in my office. I've met people at shows with over 100+ shows and will buy every single gig poster to keep in a portfolio under the bed. The type of people that buy every iteration of Pretty Hate Machine because they have to have the UK/Japanese/Indian version of the same exact CD. I'm 100% sure the same thing exists for Tool, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, etc.

I'm not one of those fans. All I'm saying is that this album isn't as bad as I initially thought, but that's not saying it's as good as I had hoped for. But I do enjoy it and it gets better with each listening. But no one would ever convince me that The Slip is a good NIN album and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that FI is a good Tool album. It's just not bad.

• 3Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
November 25th
Floor/stage tickets
Capital Arena

I'll be front and center.

• 2Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I like it more on sequential listenings than I did at first and yes it’s better than 90% of the other garbage out there. Fight me.

You know thats a thing tho right?

Like if you drink piss every day, eventually you will kinda like it.

Not saying they are of the same quality, just that repetition / familiarity creates affinity.

So when you preface its "growing on you" with "I listened to it X times", the larger X the more likely its just not good and your getting used to it.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
You know thats a thing tho right?

Like if you drink piss every day, eventually you will kinda like it.

Not saying they are of the same quality, just that repetition / familiarity creates affinity.

So when you preface its "growing on you" with "I listened to it X times", the larger X the more likely its just not good and your getting used to it.

Fine.

I’d rather like the Tool album and have new Tool to listen to than not.

None of it matters anyway. We’re all going to die one day.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Every band has fans like that. The super fan that has multiple Tool tattoos. The type of fan who's identity is: Tool is my favorite band in the world. When I go to shows and meet them I just feel sorry for how uninteresting their lives are that the only thing that matters is their favorite band. And this is coming from someone that really likes music and live music. It's really weird and kind of sad.

The band I listen to more than anyone else is probably NIN. I've seen them 6 times. I have two gig posters hanging in my office. I've met people at shows with over 100+ shows and will buy every single gig poster to keep in a portfolio under the bed. The type of people that buy every iteration of Pretty Hate Machine because they have to have the UK/Japanese/Indian version of the same exact CD. I'm 100% sure the same thing exists for Tool, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, etc.

I'm not one of those fans. All I'm saying is that this album isn't as bad as I initially thought, but that's not saying it's as good as I had hoped for. But I do enjoy it and it gets better with each listening. But no one would ever convince me that The Slip is a good NIN album and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that FI is a good Tool album. It's just not bad.

yeah i've definitely run into the same phenomena with a lot of different bands, but still i believe that Tool has a disproportionately large number of said fans compared to other bands. NIN is probably one of the few examples you could give of another band that has nearly the same proportion of these fans, but i think even NIN doesn't have Tool beat.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
yeah i've definitely run into the same phenomena with a lot of different bands, but still i believe that Tool has a disproportionately large number of said fans compared to other bands. NIN is probably one of the few examples you could give of another band that has nearly the same proportion of these fans, but i think even NIN doesn't have Tool beat.

I’m actually surprised at that but it’s true. NIN’s most recent tour had them in mid sized venues that didn’t completely sell out, meanwhile Tool sold out arenas in minutes.

I would have thought the reverse but here we are.

I guess it’s just hard to be a fan of two bands famous for insufferable fans 😂😂😂

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I’m actually surprised at that but it’s true. NIN’s most recent tour had them in mid sized venues that didn’t completely sell out, meanwhile Tool sold out arenas in minutes.

I would have thought the reverse but here we are.

I guess it’s just hard to be a fan of two bands famous for insufferable fans 😂😂😂

yeah IDK how but 20 years ago NIN and Tool were about on the same level, but now despite Trent Reznor getting his shit together and actually putting out a decent amount of music without taking years to finish it (The Fragile was so good tho), there aren't that many NIN fans, and Tool hadn't put out anything in 15 years but their fans were still legion. makes little sense haha.

• 1Solidarity