Tool might eventually release a new album someday

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Didn't work for me either. Seemed bland. I felt like if you isolated any of the guitar riffs, drum fills, or bass lines they would be indistinguishable from their previous works. Especially stuff from 10,000 Days. Made it 3/4 of the way through and it hadn't elevated my heart rate once. So I listened to Undertow instead.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sorry it doesn't work for you bro and I mean that in the sense that it sucks to lose something that you've been enthusiastic about for a long time.

I really like the album. 7empest might be my second least favorite track now after Culling Voices. IMO there are three songs that I listen to consistently, Pneuma, Invincible and Descending in no particular order, with each one taking the #1 spot depending on the day.

The crescendo in Descending starting at about 5:40 and then into the guitar solo at about 7:20 feels really good while driving with the windows open.

Sound the dread alarm! RISE! Mitigate our ruin call us all to arms and order!

A desperate wake up call to society or a fictional call to arms against the dark horde, it's pretty good stuff.

Invincible might be my new fight song against mortality. I'm a young 45, but I'm still 45. This song is another fairy tale to me where it's easy for me to picture it as a movie or just interpret it as the parable (parabol!) it's meant to be. The slow wind up after the story at about 6:44 and just the plodding nature of it I love. When the bass starts going at around 7:40 and eventually takes over around 9:40, it made my wife nauseous in the car. I told her that means it's working! Weapon out and belly in.

Pneuma is just Pneuma and I like the repeating break:

I don't know how to explain it but sometimes I think shit has to be right for where you are emotionally at any given point in your life. Maybe my menstrual cycle just happens to aligned with Maynard's, but this album is doing it for me, and I'm sad that it's not doing it for some other fans (although there are plenty of Tool nuts that seem to be just fine with it).

I think this album is much more self aware and I'm okay with that. Either that or I'm one of those faggots that thought EQ2 was better than EQ (I wasn't).

This sounds like you’re on the tail end of a pellet cycle to me. I’d like to see a new revision of your feelings a week after a fresh insertion.

• 1Worf

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
This sounds like you’re on the tail end of a pellet cycle to me. I’d like to see a new revision of your feelings a week after a fresh insertion.

The older I get the more emotional I get, no lie. Having my kids, some recent deaths to people I'm close with, it's all given me a changed perspective. Mostly good, but it does tend to make me a bit sentimental about shit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's not a bad album. Would have been better as a more concise EP. Too much of the material sounds the same.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I hate to say it. I've been to every Tool concert in St. Louis except (ironically) their very first one during Lalapalooza in '95 iirc. I once interpreted and typed out and even printed my version of their lyrics and handed them out to my coworkers who were interested at the time (Pizza Hut). I was way off on some lines, but I did a good job and I put in a good effort to translate a band that never ever printed their lyrics (pre-internet). Remember this was in the 90's when access to Word and a printer were not exactly easy. But it was a passion project of mine to distripute their lyrics to my friends so I did it anyway. My Tool credentials are top-notch.

and yet the time i was giving you shit and said "i get it, angrygerbil, i read the FAQ on toolshed.down.net a bunch of times too" you responded with huh?"

you're still a poser imo :p (just kidding entirely of course)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's not a bad album. Would have been better as a more concise EP. Too much of the material sounds the same.

i heard the single edit of the title track on the radio the other day, was way better edited down in length.

i mean, it was still pretty long for the radio, probably like 5+ minutes, so hey

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Y'all cannot tell me "Invincible" does not get your head nodding up and down!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone that wanted to go but wasn't able to get tickets should keep an eye on reddit.com/r/toolband

The last several shows have had ticket offered for less than face/free to fans by other fans for various reasons.

Just a heads up, if there's a show in your town, check the reddit a couple days before/day of and cross your fingers.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

(Eddie Van Halen's son's Twitter if not obvious)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Phoenix show is tonight, strict no phone policy but I’ve read that they let you pull them out at the end during Stinkfist.

Cannot wait.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Maynard doesn't sing as much on this album as much as I think most TOOL fans would like. I love the music from Carey, Jones, and Chancellor just as much as Maynard is part of the band. Puscifer is the shit too. Rev 22 from Underworld is so so so awesome. I love you all, Sierra Nevada Torpedo FTW! KRA!

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You know it's a problem when that first track doesn't suck you in.

Stay on the vineyard, Maynard. Have a good one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Really great show with great seats, image doesn’t do it justice. Maynard just hangs out in the back on these two platforms like a weirdo. Overall, sounded great but I think they’re still working on their timing with as new as the tour is. I think they really enjoy what they do though and they had a lot of fun with the audience it seemed.

BB96411D-DBDB-4609-B4FD-6B7F91AD8013.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Really great show with great seats, image doesn’t do it justice. Maynard just hangs out in the back on these two platforms like a weirdo. Overall, sounded great but I think they’re still working on their timing with as new as the tour is. I think they really enjoy what they do though and they had a lot of fun with the audience it seemed.

View attachment 227950
I am jellie, I need to see if I can catch anything on this tour even though I caught them in May. Question for everybody, is there a good place to find TOOL vinyls, I am missing Ænima, 10,000 Days, and of course Fear Inoculum. I not expecting to find FI anytime soon but any of the other two I cannot find except at outrageous prices.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I am jellie, I need to see if I can catch anything on this tour even though I caught them in May. Question for everybody, is there a good place to find TOOL vinyls, I am missing Ænima, 10,000 Days, and of course Fear Inoculum. I not expecting to find FI anytime soon but any of the other two I cannot find except at outrageous prices.
Aenima, used

Probably not legit.

I dont think they released a vinyl 10k days.

Though they have suggested that thier entire library would eventually be released in a remastered limited vinyl set. Guess we will see.

Last edited: