Torchlight III

Kiki

Log Wizard
Frontiers was super bland, not a lot of stuff in there. Hopefully this is much better.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
They need more depth to their skill/item system than 2 had to make this look more appealing imo, 2 got boring quite fast

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Frontiers was super bland, not a lot of stuff in there. Hopefully this is much better.

I mean, I'm guessing that Frontiers was just...a test-bed for development that lacked fine direction?

because TL3 is...as he said...frontiers renamed to TL3

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Enjoyed 1 and 2 a lot. Still doing the masochist thing in 2 once in a while with an archer gal, pling-pling-pling-pling 10-10-19-10 damage. Can never find anything good in that game for my main :D 3 is looking like an insta-buy regardless.

Argarth

On the verandah
Had a ton of fun in Torchlight II. Now that they've changed direction and this looks more like a proper sequel, yes please!

Kiki

Log Wizard
I mean, I'm guessing that Frontiers was just...a test-bed for development that lacked fine direction?

because TL3 is...as he said...frontiers renamed to TL3

Sounds like it's revamped a bit. No level scaling is pretty huge. We'll see how it turns out, hopefully they add to it instead of straight converting it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Classes look weird, like the guy who has the rail road tracks spawn behind him and the train with the gun. Maybe that's a good thing. I dunno.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Classes look weird, like the guy who has the rail road tracks spawn behind him and the train with the gun. Maybe that's a good thing. I dunno.
It's basically a pet class, only the pet is a train that follows the tracks. When I tried it during one of the alpha it was clunky as fuck though so hope they're gonna make it better. The track system just wasn't fun, it was a chore to lay down the tracks and you'd need to keep rebuilding track around the bosses else the train was out of range and wouldn't fire at shit, just was poorly implemented.

Torchlight classes were always kinda weird, like they'd follow a standard archetype but try to add some weird twists to them, most worked fine though.

I'm looking forward to what they do with the game now that it's a solo game, but the alpha I tested was absolute shit, I think I played 15mins then logged off, and I've played shit like Van Helsing which was already not great. Part of it was the fact it was this pseudo F2P chinese mmo kind of shit though, it just wasn't appealing right from the start but then the gameplay just wasn't good either.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Could be that they are renaming the game TL3?

I'm probably going to buy this as I really enjoyed TL and TL2 and I really like the graphical style.

"We did these changes because we realized we could not compete with companies like Tencent on the FTP online ARPG/MMO market and were about to lose our shirt. Therefore we switched to our Plan B which is to make an updated T3 and actually make money."

I hope they add something novel in the least. T1 was your old school Diablo 1 dungeon crawl. T2 was much more sprawling, more like Diablo 2. Clearly they paralleled each other. Thank fuck they didn't make a T3 that was like D3. But it still needs......something.

The one part of Torchlight that seemed really weak to me was the loot system. I mean, it was pretty much standard ARPG fare but it seemed so......blah. The uniques were meh, the sets were whatever - and I think there was TOO MUCH of both - there needed to be a little more rarity and something special about them I think. Not sure that is all of it, but that is at least part.

Edit - also, this guy has the worst on screen charisma - they need a new spokesman. I am sure he is great at his job, but he ain't good at the marketing vids.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
"We did these changes because we realized we could not compete with companies like Tencent on the FTP online ARPG/MMO market and were about to lose our shirt. Therefore we switched to our Plan B which is to make an updated T3 and actually make money."

I hope they add something novel in the least. T1 was your old school Diablo 1 dungeon crawl. T2 was much more sprawling, more like Diablo 2. Clearly they paralleled each other. Thank fuck they didn't make a T3 that was like D3. But it still needs......something.

The one part of Torchlight that seemed really weak to me was the loot system. I mean, it was pretty much standard ARPG fare but it seemed so......blah. The uniques were meh, the sets were whatever - and I think there was TOO MUCH of both - there needed to be a little more rarity and something special about them I think. Not sure that is all of it, but that is at least part.

Edit - also, this guy has the worst on screen charisma - they need a new spokesman. I am sure he is great at his job, but he ain't good at the marketing vids.

Torchlight 2 was modded to high heaven. There were complete content patches, skill tree reworks, new classes, pets and loot. You could have just modded it to have hardly any loot.

The base game alone while fun wasn't good at max level or in NG+ as there was nothing to do end game (Maps and Tarrochs). Once you put Synergies mod into the mix the experience was completely different as it added a massive series of end game zones with complex and challenging encounters and a new crafting system that was pretty neat.

The loot from that was rare and very difficult to get if you wanted a full set.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Torchlight 2 was modded to high heaven. There were complete content patches, skill tree reworks, new classes, pets and loot. You could have just modded it to have hardly any loot.

The base game alone while fun wasn't good at max level or in NG+ as there was nothing to do end game (Maps and Tarrochs). Once you put Synergies mod into the mix the experience was completely different as it added a massive series of end game zones with complex and challenging encounters and a new crafting system that was pretty neat.

The loot from that was rare and very difficult to get if you wanted a full set.
Yeah synergy was basically what made it into a 20-30hours game for me into a 100+ hours, I played a bunch of mods and played a bunch of modded endgame and what not. And I played not too long after release iirc so the mods weren't even that good yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Interesting. Not until recently have I started regularly using mods in games, so I guess I really missed out.

I didn't even start in on the Minecraft mod community until Skyfactory 4 last year and now that my eyes have been open, I have put hundreds of hours into a game I bought what feels like a decade ago.

1580234945115.png

dizzie

Triggered Happy
All the TL2 mods are still on steam workshop.

So you can go back and check them out if the fancy ever takes you.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Interesting. Not until recently have I started regularly using mods in games, so I guess I really missed out.

I didn't even start in on the Minecraft mod community until Skyfactory 4 last year and now that my eyes have been open, I have put hundreds of hours into a game I bought what feels like a decade ago.

View attachment 246158

TL2 is very much worth taking a second look into mods if you liked the games at all. The mods made the game completely different and better. Vanilla was just very blah all around, the mods make it worth firing up once in a while, still.

• 1Like