Torchlight III

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just saw this pop up for early steam access too. Most comments here are bad but i did like the first two....be cool to see some thoughts or detailed reviews.

Caliane

I just saw this pop up for early steam access too. Most comments here are bad but i did like the first two....be cool to see some thoughts or detailed reviews.
Theres a number of major problems.

First is the game was completely retooled since its free to play alpha introduction. it was originally intended as a free to play psuedo mmo. Shared overworld zones, with instanced dungeons, you can farm parties to enter.
And, horizontal progression. Where each zone was 1-15 or so, and had local resistances, which mean you needed local gear to progress in that area.

It was a total failure game design. So they retooled it into a more traditional arpg. But a ton of those game design problems are still there.

The overworld zones are still there, and boring as shit.
ftp mmo material collection is still in the game. think gw2 tree harvesting, etc.
horizontal progression is gone. its now act 1, 2, 3. skills and gear are rearranged to be more linear.

torchlight was always very limited in depth. This was REALLY bad with skill depth in the early stages, its currently.. ok at best. a 2 on a scale of 1 to path of exile.
All around the game is insanely shallow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm get my $30 out of it. Currently down for maintenance to fix some issues.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Had a quick look on the steam forums as I like the TL games, seems this is online only right now and there's been a bunch of problems with servers. I wouldn't pay for early access as I expect the game to be down for considerable periods and there doesn't seem to be much content at all right now. I'll wait till it's complete, not interested in playing quarter of a game and ruining the experience did that with The Last Epoch and now I hate it. Watched about 10mins of someone streaming last night on twitch and the guy playing was crashing every few mins.

I'm only going to buy this if they allow modding and an offline mode.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They already said there will be an offline mode, they just haven't finished it cause it's just a pseudo mmo retooled atm or whatever. Modding I don't know I think I remember them saying it wasn't going to happen for a while so not sure. Iirc modding in TL2 wasn't very well supported either just the files were easy enough to understand people eventually did a bunch of big things.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I've had to run the same quest 3x now because server instability, apparently they figured out what it is and are fixing it but god damn this game already feels dull as hell

edit:
I restarted on the hardest difficulty as a sharpshooter and its more enjoyable to a degree but i cant fucking stand how this is their 3rd game and you still need to commit to using skillpoints on a skill without even being able to try it out

Why would they not just give you access to these abilities and allow you to use skillpoints to buff them up? it makes no sense to me. Specially since the majority of the skills fucking suck lol. This is not the mechanic you want to carry over from games made in 1999

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I tried this because I'm aching for something to play and have a few observations in parallel with those above:

1) Melee combat has some serious glitches. There are many cases where I will use a melee weapon against an archer type mob and be completely unable to hit them until I reposition around to their side or take some action to get them to shift in position a bit. This is a huge issue for slow heavy weapons.

2) Weapon stats are very misleading as they don't show the real damage done per swing or even dps. At best they are useful as a scaling factor between two versions of the same weapon

3) Many abilities simply do not work. The Fire Sword ultimate relic doesn't seem to do a damn thing. I think it maybe hit once or twice but it has been so incredibly unreliable that I essentially never use the thing. A bunch of other abilities that trigger when things are infused or explode or whatever also do not function. This is maddening because

4) Respeccing is a nightmare. You get very few 'respectacles' and they only remove a single point from a given skill. Put a point into a skill that doesnt work? Too fucking bad!

5) There is no actual skill progression. You are far better off finding a skill you like that functions and then just dumping all your points into that single skill to optimize it. There are some synergistic aspects built into the Tiers of different skills but they are few and far between.

6) There is no 'class fantasy'. I generally hate that term, but its appropriate here. I started a Dusk Mage because I liked the idea of balancing the Light and Dark yin/yang casting. Instead I'm just a fighter who runs around literally slapping mobs with my noodle robot hand and occasionally casting a darkness spell. The bonus mechanic of Light and Dark is just silly as only a few skills make use of the the fact that you have entered into 'light mode' or 'dark mode' and even then you don't get too much of a bonus for it.

The very structure of the game seems flawed from a holistic design standpoint and Im not sure what they can do to correct this aside from shitcanning the entire current skill / relic system and starting over.

• 1Like

Caliane

I forget where I went into more depth, here or reddit..

but yeah.
all skills scale off weapon dps. im not sure if there is an actual attack speed vs damage per hit thing... more dps tends to be best. also, since most classes are alimited by a second stat. mana, ammo etc. raw damage tends to be king, as its damage per ammo, or damage per mana.

many skills are total shit. this has gotten alot better over time. skills buffed/rebalanced. the current system added synergies which allow you to invest in shit skills to buff the good ones, as transitions to the good ones, which are higher level.
Theres now also passives. rank 1 buffs the skill, rank 2 buffs ALL skills, rank 3 buffs the skill again.

RElics. they all seemed to work to me. there is some hard to understand elements there.
1. active vs passive. first few iirc are passives for when the relic is active.
then, there is an ACTIVE relic skill, which you need to slot into your skillbar to use. (due to lack of passives, these tend to suck.)
then, there is a global passive. example the electric relic, cuases ANY electric damage to cause sparks to proc, dealing extra damage. so you just need to make sure you have a source of electric damage, on your main weapon.

resource limits. yes, dusk mage is always mana starved, and spends too much time meleeing. same with ranger and ammo.
you can gear for mana regen, which helps, and learning the mechanic to make sure the light buff procs often. gearing for heavy damage helps too, for again, high damage/mana eff.
was def a serious problem though.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I also learned that bosses have been supposed to drop Ember Core's for me to make more Relics... however i apparently have an account wide bug that makes them not drop lmao

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Early access games are pure aids. Will wait for reviews on the finished product. I liked TL2 a lot, because they had a huge mod set available out there that basically upgraded everything in the game.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I bought this and pretty much immediately regretted it. Everything has been said already...game is ridiculously shallow and boring for an arpg.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Was dicking around and died to trash. No big deal right? NOPE! All my 'Lifebound' gear got nuked and I was left naked. Had to go back to town and 'gamble' on gear just to have something to wear and be able to kills things again. I guess I need to make sure to keep a backup piece of non lifebound stuff for every slot...

They really fucked up when they decided to not bother removing the freemium aspects.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
They are removing lifebound next week in some big ads patch. The game is a ton of fun. It's just a nice simple light hearted fun looking game. Highly reccomended.

• 1Seriously?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Hoping they fixed shit since I loved TL1 and 2. Havent seen anyone play release yet though

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
They are removing lifebound next week in some big ads patch. The game is a ton of fun. It's just a nice simple light hearted fun looking game. Highly reccomended.
tenor.gif

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So is this decent? The first was great, second was shallow but was fun playing around with mods off and on. I’m kind of looking for a game I could try to set up playing with someone online once or twice a week. Wondering if this would work.

Reading reviews it looks like a disappointment but if some people here play it maybe I’ll give it a go at a casual pace or something.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So is this decent? The first was great, second was shallow but was fun playing around with mods off and on. I’m kind of looking for a game I could try to set up playing with someone online once or twice a week. Wondering if this would work.

Reading reviews it looks like a disappointment but if some people here play it maybe I’ll give it a go at a casual pace or something.

It was trash in early access, just got full release today so people are waiting for new reviews I guess.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Checking a stream for a few minutes, it definitely doesn't look like it's out of early access with the bugs and shit. Don't know if the game itself is good but doesn't look any better than the EA and people said that was trash so probably is still trash. Might be good in a while after a bunch of patches, or not. I loved TL2, it's still one of my most played Steam games but I have no interest in getting this for now.