Torrents

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It seems like anymore, the only time you can get DVD/Bluray quality rips significantly before the actual disk release is around Oscar time. Most movie studios send out DVD screeners of their hopeful Oscar-worthy movies in November or so, sometimes you can even get movies that aren't even in theaters yet, but it seems like other than that time of year I never see a DVD rip of a movie until it's within a couple weeks of the retail disk release. Movie studies seemed to have locked down DVD leaks a lot better than they used to.
Yeah screeners always flood torrent trackers come Oct/Nov/Dec for sure but usually there is a DVD quality rip within a month of almost any movie being released. God bless the Chinese.

Cor_sl

shitlord
He got the movies confused.

This is the end and World's End are two different movies.
Ah, shit. So I did. My bad.

To Cor: I listened to those samples last night, but forgot my guesses at home. Regardless, I was pretty much guessing on every single one of them, and I really had no clear feeling about any of them. So essentially, I have no idea and didn't hear enough difference that I could make any confident choices.
Yeah, to be honest, I hardly notice a difference myself. Either my ears aren't sensitive enough or my audio equipment isn't good enough. Either way, I'm not too bothered. My current audio setup is good enough for my tastes.

I'm going away for the weekend so I'll post up the results now.

In each rar, 1.wav is ac3, 2.wav is dts, and 3.wav is a DTS-HD MA encode.

The file sizes for the full audio tracks are -

AC3 size = 740 MB (776 138 240 byte)
DTS size = 1.70 GB (1 829 982 408 byte)
DTS-HD MA = 4.68 GB (5 027 440 604 byte)

It's quite remarkable how similar they sound considering the massive differences in file size.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I recently moved and I need an alternative to my former torrent setup. I got a C&D letter (within the first week) of moving. This is my 2nd C&D in 4 years. One in Texas and one in California

I'm looking at getting a seedbox, or, a vpn service. (or both?)

What I want is an additional layer of anonymity that I know I can get with a seedbox. Can you get this with a vpn also? Can I download AND seed through a vpn while masking it from my ISP?
Yes. I use Private Internet Access (the company name), and when you are connected to it, ALL of your internet traffic can be routed through it. There are even settings for things which (from what I understand) typically aren't routed through a VPN, including things like Google searches and such. I am not clear on the specifics, but from what I gathered with your typical VPN setup things like search terms and DNS requests might bypass the VPN and just use your standard connection. I have no fucking clue why that would be, but you can change settings with this one to make sure your provider can't see you searching for fertilizer bombs or whatever.

I want to say it is like $3-$4 a month if you buy it for a year, with no bandwidth limits. You can connect up to 3 devices as well, so I even have it set up on my phone just in case I'm at an airport or anywhere with an open wifi, but want some security. I have a seedbox now, but I intend to keep PIA because it is so cheap, and it is nice to think that the NSA might have a slightly more difficult time seeing what I post on Rerolled.

In my experience, all you need is the VPN to get rid of those C&D letters. But a seedbox is super sweet for other reasons as well. I'd grab the VPN for a month or two just to try it out, make sure it gives you the speed you need (I actually get slightly faster through the VPN, no idea how that works), etc. I think you'll decide to keep it whether you get a seedbox or not.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
what kind of ping & bandwidth hit do you take by routing everything through that VPN? I would assume you'd want to disable it while gaming? Reason I ask is that I'm often gaming on one screen and jacking around on the internet or messing with torrents on my 2nd monitor, wasn't sure a VPN would do me much good if I had to disable it for online gaming.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes. I use Private Internet Access (the company name), and when you are connected to it, ALL of your internet traffic can be routed through it. There are even settings for things which (from what I understand) typically aren't routed through a VPN, including things like Google searches and such. I am not clear on the specifics, but from what I gathered with your typical VPN setup things like search terms and DNS requests might bypass the VPN and just use your standard connection. I have no fucking clue why that would be, but you can change settings with this one to make sure your provider can't see you searching for fertilizer bombs or whatever.

I want to say it is like $3-$4 a month if you buy it for a year, with no bandwidth limits. You can connect up to 3 devices as well, so I even have it set up on my phone just in case I'm at an airport or anywhere with an open wifi, but want some security. I have a seedbox now, but I intend to keep PIA because it is so cheap, and it is nice to think that the NSA might have a slightly more difficult time seeing what I post on Rerolled.

In my experience, all you need is the VPN to get rid of those C&D letters. But a seedbox is super sweet for other reasons as well. I'd grab the VPN for a month or two just to try it out, make sure it gives you the speed you need (I actually get slightly faster through the VPN, no idea how that works), etc. I think you'll decide to keep it whether you get a seedbox or not.
I picked up a seedbox from Feralhosting. I had to put a ticket in almost immediately for some installed software but it was answered, and corrected, in minutes. Adding some torrents to it now. I've already uploaded 10GB past my 1:1 ratio.

This is fuckin sweet.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
what kind of ping & bandwidth hit do you take by routing everything through that VPN? I would assume you'd want to disable it while gaming? Reason I ask is that I'm often gaming on one screen and jacking around on the internet or messing with torrents on my 2nd monitor, wasn't sure a VPN would do me much good if I had to disable it for online gaming.
Well, I don't play first person shooters, DOTA-types, or Starcraft and such, so I can't really say how well it responds in those situations, but I've been playing Borderlands 2 with a friend each weekend and I haven't had a problem that I've noticed.

However, I should mention that I live in California, and I use the California server, so I'd imagine my experience might not be quite the same if I chose a European server. But aside from having a seedbox, everything I do through the VPN is encrypted and they are one of the best about not keeping any logs, so I'm pretty confident that I'm protected no matter what server I use.

EDIT: Someone with more networking knowledge than I might be able to tell us if it is possible to specify which connections go through which route? Like, anything Steam related automatically goes through your normal ISP, and everything else through the VPN? I have no idea if that's possible, but if it isn't, it should be!

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
My seedbox has a vpn setting im goinf to look into tomorrow. If all else ill probably get into the habit of running through a vpn from here on out.

In the past ive connected through a vpn in the netherlands to force steam to release a game earlier (aka skyrim). Was playing skyrim for 6 hours before it was officially on sale in the US because of my netherlands vpn.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Someone with more networking knowledge than I might be able to tell us if it is possible to specify which connections go through which route? Like, anything Steam related automatically goes through your normal ISP, and everything else through the VPN? I have no idea if that's possible, but if it isn't, it should be!
I dunno if this qualifies as "more networking knowledge". But check out a program calledProxifier. It lets you set up custom rules for certain proxies/VPN's. I used it to monitor all the traffic of the Steam program, and push all the traffic through an American VPN when I was living overseas.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You can also buy a decent router (like mikrotik or something with ddwrt support) and it will do what you want.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I upgraded my receiver to one that supports HD audio at the weekend....will download those test files and report back

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Equipment is going to make all the difference in the world critiquing lossy / lossless audio.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Get a high end pair of headphones. Listen to samples. If you can tell a difference, download the best quality, because eventually your surround system will get to a point where you can hear a difference, assuming a high-end entertainment center is something you care about and will keep upgrading.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I downloaded those files and struggled to hear any audible difference. If I had a gun to my head and was forced to choose then I would say #1 but that's only with the gun to my head and I didn't really spend that long analysing each file repeatedly.

As already mentioned, it's not just the audio format that make a difference but also the hardware and the room acoustics. The first 5.1 system I had was an all in one Videologic Digitheatre DTS, at the time I still lived with my parents and had a smaller bedroom. Watching Saving Private Ryan DTS on that system in that room felt REALLY immersive and back then (12 years ago) I was a massive advocate of DTS over Dolby Digital.

I upgraded from an eight year old sony de-697 amp to an Onkyo 626 at the weekend to get the HD audio formats. Fortunately the upgrade was funded by selling an iPad mini that I won recently. The only DTS-HD movie I've watched so far is "This is the End" and I guess a comedy isn't the best movie to judge surround sound audio on.

What I can say though is the start of this weeks Breaking Bad which briefly continued the shootout of the previous weeks episode felt a lot more immersive on the new hardware than the old, it really took me by surprise when the bullets started flying around my room with more clarity than the previous weeks. Of course that is due to the hardware not the format as each episode was Dolby Digital 5.1.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My first decent HT setup I bought I also watched Saving Private Ryan. I was living in an apartment block in London at the time. The scene that stood out was towards the end, the terrified young guy was supposed to be running ammunition between the points. One of the other soldiers and a german soldier got into a hand to hand fight upstairs. The camera angle is from the top of the stairs looking down at the frozen in fear ammo runner guy. The soundfield behind was muffled yelling and a physical scruffle. It was so realistic sounding, I had actually paused the movie before realizing what was going on. I literally opened my front door to the apartment to look in the hall because I thought there was someone arguing outside! After I realized what was going on was in the movie scene, I just sat there smiling. lol

When I REALLY went into high end audio, I remember listening to one of my older Pearl Jam albums on CD. This was a CD I had probably listened to over 100 times throughout my life on everything from headphones, custom car audio systems, "good" home audio systems, etc. What blew me away was the fact I was hearing notes and sounds I had absolutely NEVER heard before!

You dont need to dump a ton into a full HT setup to hear those compressed / uncompressed audio format differences. You can do the same with a high end set of headphones. I use these:http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headph...8093b9915a2126

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Regarding IPT:https://iptorrents.com/forums.php?ac...d=97965&page=1

Dear valued users,

The Owner has Decided to activate HTTPS secure browsing for IPT. It has been tested by a few people now it is time to take it live and roll it out for all.

This is only active for the 1 domain so far :-https://iptorrents.com

It is currently running side by side with our existing links. please change your links to incorporate the SSL.

This thread is for you to post any issues you find or any suggestions if you find any issues. IPT is now more secure for you and we will continue to move forward in this manner
smile.png

Already people cannot connect, this is the fix. Control panel > Internet settings > connections > LAN > Automatically detect settings.

Note: Zapping should work now. Fixed !

For everyone that's not sure what HTTPS is or does, read:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure

Regards