Torrents

Cor_sl

shitlord
My uTorrent seeding/upload speeds have been garbage lately. I'm on a Mac, anyone else have any suggestions for a good torrent client? I've got a 10.5 ratio thanks to not downloading stuff for weeks but very slowly starting to grind that away now with all the 1080p releases.
Transmission.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not asking for invites but been wondering, with IPT getting large as it is; would it be wise to start working up a ratio on a smaller site since it's likely to be a target in the future to shutting it down? Been on it for a couple years so wasn't sure... just seems to be getting huge lately(which is nice since the selection is awesome and everything I want is always well seeded.)
I've been thinking of finding something else lately too. Mostly because IPT's "new" system irritates the shit out of me.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Anyone use BTN a lot and can tell me how to build bonus points easily? Its ridiculously slow for me, after a year of regular use I finally got 100k points and I seed like 3-5 full seasons. Am I missing something?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Anyone use BTN a lot and can tell me how to build bonus points easily? Its ridiculously slow for me, after a year of regular use I finally got 100k points and I seed like 3-5 full seasons. Am I missing something?
Seed more at once for longer.

The points are based off of seed time in months x size as a multiple for your seasons. Find some older ones and seed those you shouldn't get much traffic on them and it will build points fast. It goes up faster the longer you seed. I'm getting 300k a month right now (regardless the points are really worthless anyway) with the way they handle seed time there is no reason to not seed stuff back up to the time and with it being ratio-less its all moot.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
hmm not sure what's up with me then because I have my pc on for 16ish hours a day always seeding 5 full seasons + random episodes I pick up and I just don't get f all for points, maybe 10k a month. But if they're useless nevermind, thought there was some useful feed stuff on the higher member tiers.

Sterling

El Presidente
Have 2 more IPT invites if anyone wants them. PM me with your Email, I'll get them to the first 2.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
hmm not sure what's up with me then because I have my pc on for 16ish hours a day always seeding 5 full seasons + random episodes I pick up and I just don't get f all for points, maybe 10k a month. But if they're useless nevermind, thought there was some useful feed stuff on the higher member tiers.
I have 2.1 million points, and no clue what I'd ever spend them on. I even converted a bunch to lumens once.

I'll show you my bonus points page so you can get an idea of how it works though, in case you are still interested.
rrr_img_5603.jpg

As you can see, Breaking Bad Season 4 accounts for about half of my points alone. It tells you at the top how it works, but basically the larger the file and the longer you keep it seeding, the more bonus points you're going to get. I keep my torrents going for months, 24/7, so my case is a little extreme, but just keeping everything you watch seeding should grant you more than enough bonus points over time.

There are never any good things to spend points on though, so as long as you don't need to erase Hit 'n' Runs, it doesn't really matter. I haven't seen them add invites ever, and even if they threw stuff like the seedboxes up there (they list them, just 0 available) it wouldn't be worth me spending all my points just to get it for a month...because I already have enough points to not need it.

spronk

FPS noob
ya the trick is finding some old as fuck giant torrent that nobody ever gets and leave it seeded all the time. I seeded highlander bluray which was like 30 gigs for a year and got millions of points, and I don't think anyone ever downloaded it, ever.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
RevoTT invites all gone for now, I'll have more later, though.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I have one for IPT as well, PM me.

So how much of a hassle is setting up and using a seedbox?
Most of them you just login and it looks like a torrent client. From that point if you know how to use a torrent client, you're basically set. Mine has an ftp login so I can download the completed torrents from it but that is easy, as well.

The only complicated bit for me was I had to ask them to install a web proxy, because some of the sites I wanted to seed use cookies to identify you to the tracker so you have to log in to the site from the seedbox.

Phaint_sl

shitlord
signed up for seed.st about an hour ago and i feel like pulling my hair out already... I tried a random torrent and it was downloading it at like 9.0mb/s which is awesome but then it just stopped after a couple of minutes... there are like 1000 seeders on that torrent so I found that odd. I put in several other torrents and they barely started downloading and what's more is that my Upload isn't moving from 0, which defeats the purpose completely... Been googling this problem but can't seem to find out why I'm not uploading or why the client is acting bonkers... /sigh

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Pondering paying for a seed box instead of using a VM on my home server (my upload bandwidth is shit), but not sure it's worth it. I'm managing to keep reasonably good ratios without using one, so I guess the question is, is security the only good reason to get one? Obviously, if you have a seed box set up, you're less likely to be pwnt by some sniffer for downloading whatever torrent (because you'll be retrieving it via other means, from the seed box).

Anyone found a stellar seed box setup out there? I know whatbox was mentioned earlier, and a couple more, but I'm looking to know if anyone knows which ones to steer clear of before I go spend money (if I bother spending).

Cor_sl

shitlord
Pondering paying for a seed box instead of using a VM on my home server (my upload bandwidth is shit), but not sure it's worth it. I'm managing to keep reasonably good ratios without using one, so I guess the question is, is security the only good reason to get one? Obviously, if you have a seed box set up, you're less likely to be pwnt by some sniffer for downloading whatever torrent (because you'll be retrieving it via other means, from the seed box).

Anyone found a stellar seed box setup out there? I know whatbox was mentioned earlier, and a couple more, but I'm looking to know if anyone knows which ones to steer clear of before I go spend money (if I bother spending).
I'm using gbox.me with payment via bitcoins. Upload and download speeds are quick and they're cheap. I'm happy with their service.

Phaint_sl

shitlord
heh, after hours of trying different things with seed.st i gave up, I try again now and it magically is uploading and downloading perfectly... awesome...

well the one thing I've noticed which sucks is when I download a file from my seedbox, it's downloading at 600 kb/s compared to the 1.9mb/s I would be doing if I was getting the torrent directly from IPT. Granted I'm not wasting as much bandwidth since I'm not uploading anything and my ratio is going to skyrocket, it just sucks downloading something at that speed when I'm used to much much faster.
frown.png

Cor_sl

shitlord
heh, after hours of trying different things with seed.st i gave up, I try again now and it magically is uploading and downloading perfectly... awesome...

well the one thing I've noticed which sucks is when I download a file from my seedbox, it's downloading at 600 kb/s compared to the 1.9mb/s I would be doing if I was getting the torrent directly from IPT. Granted I'm not wasting as much bandwidth since I'm not uploading anything and my ratio is going to skyrocket, it just sucks downloading something at that speed when I'm used to much much faster.
frown.png
You need to use a multi threaded FTP client.

Read this --

http://filesharefreak.com/2010/03/10...ed-downloading