Torrents

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Soo I bit the bullet after installing couch potato and Sick beard on my server and set up a usenet provider and nzb indexer .. so far I like it....I instantly get better connections than my hdbits private tracker and eliminated the need for a seed box now.
The pros:

You can easily max out your download because it has nothing to do with seeders.
You never have to worry about retention if it isn't popular.
The software automation is amazing.

The cons:

DMCA notices can be annoying, I keep torrents as a backup.
Finding that good indexer.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Soo I bit the bullet after installing couch potato and Sick beard on my server and set up a usenet provider and nzb indexer .. so far I like it....I instantly get better connections than my hdbits private tracker and eliminated the need for a seed box now.
Glad you made the switch!! Have fun with it!!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What all are you indexing?

We tried to get a ReRolled private indexer set up but couldn't get it off the ground.

kaxfenix

N00b
What all are you indexing?

We tried to get a ReRolled private indexer set up but couldn't get it off the ground.
Sorry by indexing I meant I subscribe to oznzb.com for access and pull down NZB files.. However if we had a private nzb indexer that would be awesome... I would pay for access or upkeep.

a_skeleton_03 -- I agree the private tracker I use is great and a good back up just sucks as they have strict ratio guide lines and usage guidelines I must maintain. Now I have been getting most f my goods through usenet my ratio is suffering a little.

I have decided though I think usenet is great for TV if you grab it same night it comes out my private tracker will still be go to for movies as I get scene releases.

Crone

Remember in the sickbeard setup , you can add your own indexer information, but also check off Wombat, and Sickbeard. They have their own indexers, that as far as I know, are only accessible through the Sickbeard API. More sources for Sickbeard to check for stuff the better.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sorry by indexing I meant I subscribe to oznzb.com for access and pull down NZB files.. However if we had a private nzb indexer that would be awesome... I would pay for access or upkeep.

a_skeleton_03 -- I agree the private tracker I use is great and a good back up just sucks as they have strict ratio guide lines and usage guidelines I must maintain. Now I have been getting most f my goods through usenet my ratio is suffering a little.

I have decided though I think usenet is great for TV if you grab it same night it comes out my private tracker will still be go to for movies as I get scene releases.
I upkeep my stuff on BTN and then I just gave myself a huge buffer over time on IPT just in case I have an emergency and need to rebuild a library.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I upkeep my stuff on BTN and then I just gave myself a huge buffer over time on IPT just in case I have an emergency and need to rebuild a library.
That is pretty much exactly how I do it too. I have multiple other sites, all at significant positive ratio, but they are all pretty much "just in case" BTN or IPT suddenly disappear. If I happen to find something that just released in the last hour or two I usually jump over to a different tracker and pick it up to boost more ratio, but for anything else I just use those two.

Erie_sl

shitlord
So what's a good torrent client? Haven't used anything but utorrent in the last 5 years, but since the recent update, I've been getting adware/virus shit showing up on my scanner for the last couple of weeks when that's the only thing I've used.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So what's a good torrent client? Haven't used anything but utorrent in the last 5 years, but since the recent update, I've been getting adware/virus shit showing up on my scanner for the last couple of weeks when that's the only thing I've used.
Don't update uTorrent and you'll be fine. Besides, most torrent sites don't allow most of the newer versions anyway. Download version 2.2.1 and not only will you be compliant with every site, but you won't get any of that extra app bullshit they tried to implement.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
qBittorrent is a simple alternative to uTorrent. You'd need to downgrade uTorrent to a much older version to avoid all the garbage they pushed into it.

Crone

So I've moved, and I have to switch from wired to wireless. I run a Plex server, and I'm worried about connection speeds. I pay with Cox for 150 down, 50 up or something. Their ultimate package. On wireless, I'm getting about 30-35 down, and 25 up. The up I know is the determining factor for a server... is that going to be enough to stream non-HD videos? I feel like it's more than enough.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am not even sure I have 5 up, so you should be good unless you're streaming 1080p. Even then, it might be enough.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Getting my kindle this weekend, anyone have an invite to an ebook tracker? Can only offer IPT in exchange, unless someone wants to be a pal!

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
anyone have an invite to an ebook tracker?
To be short, there aren't any. Or rather, there are, but they are crap. Public trackers probably have as good if not better of a selection than most of the private e-book trackers I've seen. Ebooks are just too small to be viably torrented, except in large packs of books.

Your alternatives are thus:

1) A smorgasbord of websites that index privately hosted files.
2) IRC Channels.

For general things, I highly recommend IRC. For more specific or scholarly work, I highly recommend websites.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
To be short, there aren't any. Or rather, there are, but they are crap. Public trackers probably have as good if not better of a selection than most of the private e-book trackers I've seen. Ebooks are just too small to be viably torrented, except in large packs of books.

Your alternatives are thus:

1) A smorgasbord of websites that index privately hosted files.
2) IRC Channels.

For general things, I highly recommend IRC. For more specific or scholarly work, I highly recommend websites.
IRC is blocked at work, hence a tracker would be better