Total War: Warhammer

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Don't fuck it up

Also I was kinda kidding, unless you are buying on sale off of bundlestars or whatever then it's fine cause it's all cheap

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Don't fuck it up

Also I was kinda kidding, unless you are buying on sale off of bundlestars or whatever then it's fine cause it's all cheap

ya I grabbed all the 50 percent off ones on humble. norsca is the only paid one I don't have

Palum

what Suineg set it to
ya I grabbed all the 50 percent off ones on humble. norsca is the only paid one I don't have

You get that free if you pre-order wh2, which if you like 1 you will anyway.

Basically I'd recommend dwarves to start as they are simple easy living.

If you haven't ever played whfb or other related computer games you'll have to be doing a lot of reading unfortunately. The tutorial stuff isn't half bad at communicating the basics

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You get that free if you pre-order wh2, which if you like 1 you will anyway.

Basically I'd recommend dwarves to start as they are simple easy living.

If you haven't ever played whfb or other related computer games you'll have to be doing a lot of reading unfortunately. The tutorial stuff isn't half bad at communicating the basics

What's the go to resource for reading about the game?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What's the go to resource for reading about the game?

Fuck if I know, I already know what all the units do because I've played whfb before as a yoot. I mostly pissy how some things don't really work similar. I think in game the stat cards are kinda useful.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you just look through some of the top rated Steam guides there's enough there to get you going (some good general battle strategy guides and multiple dwarf guides are a good start).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
game is hard spider queens buttfucking me even when I send a bunch of "anti-large" shit after her.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some units that should be proper counters to other units kind of leave you wanting. Your armies end up being a lot of your most well rounded units (ie Slayers in the above example) instead of a properly planned balanced Army. They'll win, but not decisively. Which is my gripe. Still a great game, though. Four units of well geared Pikemen should be easily routed by a flank on both sides by Great Swords and a moderate line of swordsmen with shields in the middle - head on. That just isnt the case. Or Pikemen vs iron breakers in the middle and slayers on the flanks. Instead, four slayers would just do better against Pikemen altogether.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thing is it's not just counters, there's "tiers" of units too. Antilarge tier1 will only do well when it's like 4vs1 against monstrous tier4 large units. On the other hand, tier 3+ antilarge infantry should do fine even solo or with minimal help. For example chosen with halberds will buttfuck most monsters, cause they're a very high tier units with crazy good stats AND antilarge. But antilarge is just more damage against large(and sometimes also defense against charge), if the unit has shit melee attack, having more damage when they can't hit for shit doesn't do much, and if they have low armor/melee defense, they're going to get wrecked especially since most large units have large aoe hitting several models at once and leveraging their high damage per hit better+disrupting ranks so they take less damage.

That said if you want to take down spiders quickly as dwarfs, while slayers are nice to try to hold the line against them, you can just throw some ironbreakers or even just warriors/miner fodders to bog the spiders down, and then fire at it with cannons/bolt throwers/organ gun. Armor piercing artillery does stupid damage to large units like this because they basically don't miss if the unit isn't moving(even if it is moving half the time), and they do huge chunks of armor piercing damage so even against strong defensive units like steam tanks, you'll fuck them up real good. I like Canons especially because they can be used pretty efficiently against infantry too, while Bolt Thrower are quite a bit weaker against infantry imo. Organ gun kinda depends. Canons are also the cheapest iirc(other than grudge throwers) so you can easily field 2 even in side armies, they'll take care of towers and doors during siege and kill everything that's too large to hide in the mass of units like monsters and lords on flying mounts and shit, as long as you bog them down in melee with your basic infantry.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ya I dealt with it all but chaos just came threw and wiped the map

Yea, you really need as minimum of three full stacks and to have them in reach of your northern most expansions. They are pure rape as both dwarves and empire so far, just not enough high tier units with armor piercing to destroy so the piles of warriors.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know, Ive killed Chaos - the starting army for them and the rebirth guy - with four armies, each time. I was on normal, per say... but still! Always felt like the game just stopped giving a f'k after you beat them, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dont know, Ive killed Chaos - the starting army for them and the rebirth guy - with four armies, each time. I was on normal, per say... but still! Always felt like the game just stopped giving a f'k after you beat them, though.

Yea, but I don't know that I'm playing "correctly" though. I build massive empires with 5-6 armies by the end phase. I'm guessing you can win with a lot less expansion more focused on the objectives, probably comfortably between chaos 1 and archaon showing up if you play closer to the wire.

Part of the problem in general is that advancement slows down pretty hard right at the point where you crawl out of uncertain future territory. With the 20 cap as well you can never really grow vertically at that point, you're stuck growing horizontally with more stacks.

My thing is I basically almost never manually fight a battle past the first 50-70 turns it seems. It's really just unlikely I run into a situation that's evenly matched. I either have +1 stack over the opponent or I'm so boned there's no point wasting my time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Try to wait for the chaos armies to split to attack them, or just have more/better stack than them.

The other way is to build a really strong elite army and give the lord lightning strike. Then just fuck their armies one by one, lightning strike prevents reinforcements so as long as you can beat 2 or 3 of his armies in a row without passing your turn, then you'll be fine. If you have healing spells(elves/undead mostly, I think empire too has lore of life now?) you can just use the time after winning a battle but before all the enemy units run out of the map to spend as many winds of magic as you can just spamming overcast heals with all your army stacked up. Can get like 15-20% heal overall if you do it early enough and you have enough winds left.

You can just have some safety stacks close, lightning strike say 1 or 2 armies, then force marche the safety stack close to your army so if he attacks, he's vastly outnumbered(forced march penalty and your wounded stack, but if you kill 2 of his armies it should be np even in these conditions).

I've never really had issues with Chaos in any of my games, generally if I lose it's early game(like first 20-30turns or so), after that it's just raise the economy and pump strong units into 2-3 strong armies, make half stacks to defend the edge of my empire and just roll around destroying/capturing everything. When chaos spawn, stop whatever I was doing and just regroup where they're likely to end up and fuck them up.

• 1Like

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
. If you have healing spells(elves/undead mostly, I think empire too has lore of life now?) .

Empire currently has every Wind but Death which is coming with the combined campaign (Wizard was datamined). Metal is currently only on Gelt though, who is all around still considered pretty bad.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah just wasn't sure since I haven't played empire in forever but I remember them getting life during wood elf release or whatever, so can use Lifebloom.

That said even without healing post fight cheese, you can generally fight 2 or 3 stacks in a row if you have a really high tier army even against the chaos stacks. The super expensive lightning strike army strat is very potent in the first game as long as you keep track of where your enemies are and consolidate your defenses, since you generally only have 1 or 2 actual armies and a bunch of filler shit to man settlements defenses. Won't be as good in TW:W2 due to sheer size of the map I think. Also I seem to remember some lightning strike changes.

Anyway I never had many issues with Chaos, even on my very first total war playthrough, I beat chaos with mostly graveguards+blackguards. I just had like 7stacks of them at Kislev, it was a huge clusterfuck, I think I lost the first battle but raised dead to replenish after all the deaths and then killed their weakened armies. And that was with pretty low tier units, Graveguards are like T2 infantry, blackguards are great but I didn't have that many, I had all the skeletal tech and lord trees and shit though I was all in on them bony fuckers. It was mostly just zerging them down with a lot of shit and using a lot of heals and summoning shit behind them. In retrospect that was a really poor campaign, I was like "meh not gonna buy buildings that generate gold, takes like 12turns to pay for themselves fuck that". Then 100+turns later I was still there trying to kill fucking dwarfs, would have been so much money. I'll replay Undead at some point, probably in the grand campaign. This time though I'll fucking go elite shit everywhere. I'll have at least 6 blood knights in there for sure and a bunch of the big vargheists shit.

In my Dwarf playthrough, I defeated 2 chaos armies with only the garrison of one of my settlements. That shit was super retarded. These idiots split up and took turns attacking that one main settlement on the mountains on the right side like right before Kislev areas, Archaon lost his army without even breaking the door, the AI is so fucking bad in siege battles. The other 2 armies got destroyed by the empire somewhere where I couldn't see, and that was how we "valiantly" triumphed. A handful random shmucks with beards in a castle stopped the tides of Chaos.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Something I found extremely useful for Dwarves (not sure if other races have a similar skill tree) is to get two Thanes with full Exemplar training (gives +3 ranks in local region upon recruit) combined with using the White Dwarf as your starting lord and picking Ancient Acument (factionwide +3 rank) and you can have max rank units by turn 100ish. The Goblins aren't too menacing so you should be able to do enough actions and fights to skill up on them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users