Total War: Warhammer

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For new players it seems they made some tutorial page thing Total War Academy

Looks kinda garbage to navigate but there's a lot of videos explaining most of the basics to get started. I personally just watched a few "let's play" first 10-20turns from various streamers when I started to see how people played and figured it out from there but might not be the most efficient way for other people.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Playing the original with Empire on Very Hard and it's been quite a ride. Securing Reikland within the first 10 turns while avoiding wars and beating the Skullsmasherz (manual battle always) that always come by was a hell of a challenge. I had restarted my Empire campaign a few times because I'd either feel forced into turtling and never get that first full province (and thus have super slow growth) or I'd be stretched thin and the Orcs would crush me or other human factions would declare war in my weakened state after defeating the Orcs. Then I realized the power of gifting money and that forming and disbanding armies is a pretty viable option at times.

Really enjoyed the Chaos invasion this game too as I felt the mechanics of it worked in a narrative way. I was stretched pretty thin moneywise, even with Marienburg, and I didn't have enough army strength to actively get to Chaos stacks without overexposing myself, so I had to hang out in settlements and capitals. My faction leader had a ton of +money traits so I also couldn't take him out of Marienburg without losing 3-4K gold, so that handicapped me as well. Plus Norsca and the Vana-guys were coming down from north and west (I think they're tougher than Chaos, personally). I lost two settlements and was at risk of losing more when I decided to stop being distant to other factions and set up defensive alliances. Within a few turns, I had everyone defensively allied with me and had war coordination targets on everything. It was pretty cool to see wood elves, vampires, dwarfs and humans coming to the Reikland to finally put an end to the invasion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I need a mod that removes the innate differences between unit tiers and restores values to a more classic WHFB level where the actual stats matter rather than the arbitrary building it comes out of.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I need a mod that removes the innate differences between unit tiers and restores values to a more classic WHFB level where the actual stats matter rather than the arbitrary building it comes out of.
The tiers are the stats. 30melee defense from a tier 1 unit is the same as 30melee defense from a tier 4 unit. Just they give tier 1 units lower stats and tier 4 units higher stats, what you need is a mod that rebalance the stats, since the stats are already being applied properly. There's a rebalance mod I see people mention quite often, steel faith overhaul. Never tried it though.

Sulrn

Deuces
I can't speak for Warhammer, but if its a Total War game there's a Radious comprehensive rebalance mod somewhere.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So Norsca is fucking awesome to play. I went with the ice troll, tore down barracks and tech rushed up to trolls. Completely obliterated other nearby chaos dude, left a small army to defend the home base and absolutely clobbered everything from the shore to Hochland after setting sail south west and around the bend. Rolled out with 150k then backdoored Praag all the way down to VC. That raiding camp stance where you lurk in the woods for 5-10 turns then snake attack is great. The only thing better was watching all the factions (wiped out notifications) I nailed implode to Goblin and Greenskin attacks after I left.

I should have attacked Empire first I guess(?) for the frozen crown quest but seeing as how the entire world fell apart by turn 100 because of what I did, I truly regret nothing.

Just felt real ruthless and plundery, great addition and fun as a warm-up for TW2.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The tiers are the stats. 30melee defense from a tier 1 unit is the same as 30melee defense from a tier 4 unit. Just they give tier 1 units lower stats and tier 4 units higher stats, what you need is a mod that rebalance the stats, since the stats are already being applied properly. There's a rebalance mod I see people mention quite often, steel faith overhaul. Never tried it though.

Yea that's my point though. T3 1W human units should all be similar health/toughness.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wait really, 2 is out and the thread's not been posted in for a day? wtf....

Last edited:

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Waiting for a month or however long for the Mortal Empires Mega Campaign to drop. Right now you can't even play multiplayer with the old races, it is both single and multi with just the new four, and I want everyone in on the action. Also I am reading serious problems with the Battle AI doing dumb shit, like trying to melee flying units and just spacing out while your murder them.

Creative Assembly is notorious for having shitty releases. The release of TW WH in as good a state that it was in was practically miraculous. Usually CA releases a game, it runs like shit, then they release an expansion and it's great (Rome 2 to Attila, Empire to Napoleon). This time it seems like the opposite, second game seems to be lacking some polish. That said, people are praising the UI updates and new features, it's just the AI and some performance hiccups. I am going to just let it sit for a bit before jumping in, I am sure there will be a flurry of patches in the coming weeks, as is the norm for CA games.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The only AI issue I've seen is on the new choke point maps. They are (sometimes) too reluctant to give up the choke point while defending even when you have a clear skirmishing advantage. I find that they will eventually attack but you can get them to stay in place far longer than they should by microing your skirmishers in and out.

Don't know about the air units, I haven't used any. This is based on having played far into last night and watching let's plays for about a week. Overall it is a very solid release and I'd say better than the first one at release.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I'm loving Warhammer 2 so far - I spent most of yesterday theoretically teleworking, while I was actually uniting Naggarond with my Dark Elves campaign.

Lots of great UI improvements, particularly with Lords and their traits, the end turn notifications (that are filterable), and better army movement visualization. I'm also not seeing any performance issues so far - I updated all my drivers to the latest Nvidia, and I'm getting a solid 60+ fps in almost every battle on Ultra settings at 3440x1440 resolution. It's at least as solid as TW:W with patches right out of the gate, as far as I can tell.

I guess my only beef right now are the limited rosters for the TW:W factions - I spent quite a few turns beating up on Norsca, and it looks like they don't have access to any of the TW:W expanded Free-LC content that came out a few months ago, which is a big disappointment. Maybe with the Mortal Empires campaign, this kind of stuff will be corrected. Otherwise, I've got zero complaints so far - the first Total War: Warhammer was my personal favorite game of last year, and this is already shaping up to take this years' crown.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
TW: WH 2 improves the original game significantly in pretty much every aspect, it is a lot better as a stand-alone game then the original version. Performance is excellent also, an SSD is necessary to avoid long load times though.

One minor issue, carried over from the original TW, is that the launcher is tiny when playing at 4k res.

launcher.png

Going to Ntinue Campai now
j2CRyw

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Looks kinda garbage to navigate but there's a lot of videos explaining most of the basics to get started. I personally just watched a few "let's play" first 10-20turns from various streamers when I started to see how people played and figured it out from there but might not be the most efficient way for other people.

I've played a couple of hundred turns and the videos give just enough information to leave you with a bunch of questions, but don't go deep enough to help. I feel like these are more appropriate for people who haven't played a round and are thinking about buying the game.

Any recommendations for a little deeper insight on how to expand territory and build an army? I usually struggle on expanding and eventually get screwed, because I'm spread too thin.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've played a couple of hundred turns and the videos give just enough information to leave you with a bunch of questions, but don't go deep enough to help. I feel like these are more appropriate for people who haven't played a round and are thinking about buying the game.

Any recommendations for a little deeper insight on how to expand territory and build an army? I usually struggle on expanding and eventually get screwed, because I'm spread too thin.

I've enjoyed watching campaigns by https://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10/videos and by https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW/videos

Both play on "very hard" which is higher than I do, currently. And, while they make some mistakes that even I can recognize, they do very well and don't have "oh shit" moments where the campaign is over. Plus, they offer insight into what they're doing and why, when they play. Now, that's not to say they're pros or as good as some people on FOH, but it's entertaining (especially before the game was released) and informative.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For the armies, it really depends on the race and how early it is and so on, expanding is kinda the same depends on the situation on the map, generally it's safer to expand towards an "edge", so you don't have to worry about that direction anymore, and then expand into one direction, leaving half armies or full cheap armies to defend some of your lines inside decent garrisons. It's also worth sitting on your ass for 10-20turns sometimes to stabilize, tech up and wall up stuff before you start expanding again.

Currently I started Skaven as Lord Skrolk, wanted a caster right away and he doesn't disapoint, love his spells.

For the first 25-30turns or so, my army was like the starting units(2plaguemonks, 1censor bearer and 1 plagueclaw catapult) and the rest was just slave. I relied entirely on Menace Below(using up max food every big fight) and Vermintide(spell that summons clanrats) to win fights, so it was very low economy but I had to fight manually basically every battle since every fight was in the enemy's favor, even though I won most of them. Being able to summon ~10units of T1 infantry early game easily swings the battle especially since they can be summoned directly on ranged units or behind enemy rank for a rear charge, and Wither which reduces armor by 30 in a large aoe(60 when overcast) lets you actually damage heavily armored units even with slaves and shit. I'm now on turn 50ish or so and I've only now started reworking my whole army, I need like 10more turns to finish buildings and recruiting to have all the high tier units I want and be able to rape everyone(I have lightning strike too).

I have 3 other armies which are 100%slaves, although since 2 of them are led by some melee unit, I plan to embed a hero in each of them for magic. The 3rd one is a plague seer and that fucker is awesome with the Bell mount. I added them as I needed them, 2nd was pretty early like turn 8-10 or so cause I was getting fucked from all sides by lizards and dwarfs and needed to be able to hold 2 fronts, 3rd was like 10turns later and 4th was only made around turn 40 because there was a rebellion and it was faster to make a new army than run someone there.

My general plan for a lategame army is something like this:
  • The lord obviously and one caster if the lord isn't a caster himself(not using any magic is a waste especially with how strong magic is now)
  • 1 or 2 artillery to get first turn battles when attacking walled settlements and just for damage especially the antilarge ones(I'll stick to 1 plaguemaw catapult, does good morale damage)
  • 2cavalry or equivalent(I'm getting 2 doomwheels with my skaven, they're technically more like chariots but that's roughly the same)
  • 4ranged units or so(getting 2poison and 2 death globediers)
  • And then a mix of melee high tier units, with at least 2 antilarge units(my mix is going to be 4stormvermin with shields for frontline, 4stormvermins with halberds for dino killing and other stuff and 4 censor bearers for killing infantry quickly).
Depending on your lord bonuses though you might want to lean more heavily on other stuff. You can favor ranged units more too if you like them, elves or dwarfs and shit can stack a ton of ranged units instead and decimate shit before it even reaches you. Also stacking monsters can work if you want to really pour everything into one army, like 15tier 5 monsters and some frontline works fine it's just stupid on upkeep in general(but say for example when I played Chaos I had a full dragon ogre army for Kholek cause he has a ton of upkeep reduction so they were actually not worth shit, and that was one of the most broken army I've done).

Mind you my campaign isn't perfect. I didn't build a tier 3 recruitment building early on since all I was using was slaves, until I remembered that I needed them for technology, so I only started unlocking techs at like turn 40, which is super retarded especially since all the skaven tech is linked together so you need to research a ton of early game stuff first. I'm also way behind on the vortex progress because I don't have settlements with increased ressources yet cause I went another way to expand, when I hit the first rank, pretty boy was already 75% towards the 2nd one and burny boy isn't far behind. But that's ok I'll probably catch up soonish once I conquer all of southern lustria, just need to finish some lizardmen, upgrade my armies, then go ravage the west coast where the elves live and that should be all of it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

This is exactly what I was looking for, THX. A basic tutorial for WarHammer which I have never played. Game seems daunting for new players of the series.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So far, a ton of crashes for me in 2. Twice immediately loading up a new campaign, and now twice more in game doing random things (one was 'discovering' skaven and the other was searching a ship wreck). Additionally, weird AI nonsense going on with some units in Lizardmen - like Skinks not throwing javelins for 30 seconds, they looked like they were slightly shuffling left and right by a couple inches when they were staring right at an enemy. Had a stegadon refuse to attack anything because there was a tree to its right side. Some breath spell would not cast facing certain directions for me within a range, but were fine facing the other way.

Overall just a lot of bugs and I think I'm going to wait to continue the campaign which is otherwise pretty decent so far, just riddled with annoyance by turn 40.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Haven't had a single crash yet so not sure what's up with that. There's been a couple of weird AI things, but not that bad, stuff like the computer letting some of his units just stand there(ironically that makes the AI more "human" since most people will tend to forget random units at times). The spell indicators don't show sometimes though, I'm thinking it's due to being too many units(a lot of my battles I have 4-6k units cause skaven garbage stacks, so it can get messy), but they'll still cast properly, although I guess for breath spells it'd be a pain without an indicator.

Main annoyances so far is the "Your units flee/Your units rallied" popups shit on the side of the screen covering my Menace Below ability so I have to turn the camera to use it, the usual fuckery with army that looks like they're in range but nope they're just out of range and campaign movement precision in general and some elf fuck who for some reason sailed across the entire map with 3 full stacks just to try to get one of my buildings.