Total War: Warhammer

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I am going into this fully aware that I am going to get double raped by the Sega + Games Workshop dlc combo.... and I am completely OK with that. Bretonnia will most likely be first game paid dlc (seeing as they are in the game mostly finished already).

Game 2 predictions is Skaven, Wood Elves, Khemri, and Ogres.

Games 3 finishes with High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Chaos Daemons.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
It looks like they're actually going to just be giving away the Bretonnians for free. Granted, they haven't specifically said it's the Brets yet, but they have said there will be a faction given away as free DLC, and the list of other potential candidates is essentially zero, so I'm feeling comfortable calling it now.

Sulrn

Deuces
It's missing elves(wood/high/dark), skaven, actual chaos demons and lizardmen too. And those will be added as DLC later. What's one more or less race? And you can get it for "free" if you buy the game at launch. If you don't buy the game at launch, you'll buy the game when the price is reduced so it being a DLC won't have an actual impact. Don't really get the complaint. If you're scared that you buy this at launch but it's unplayable for a few weeks, preorder, then don't play it more than 2hours. If it's shit and they don't fix it quickly enough, refund. If it's good or they fix their shit quick, you have the race already.
You don't see an issue with blatantly holding back what most people consider essential pieces of the setting as DLC? You do not see an issue with using lore-essential factions as leverage to lock players in at full price as shady - especially for when said content is 90% already in the game and awaiting a pay unlock? Waiting for the price on the base game to drop does nothing to effect the DLC price - look at Sega's other major franchises that are riddled with DLC or look at previous TW games. DLC prices rarely change - even when the price points are silly. Look at Attila a year post-release - what is essentially a reskin of the updated R2:EE ($60 3 years on, even after being unplayable for a large amount of people the first year). Base game is $45, DLC - $73 to get the full picture of the era the game is meant to depict.

You're defending two major businesses that can afford to put out quality games - but they rarely do. Why? Because it makes more sense to rush a product and charge for it piecemeal. Or simply saturate the market because people will buy it regardless. This is why the AAA gaming industry gets shadier every year and the list of good dev studios gets shorter.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You don't see an issue with blatantly holding back what most people consider essential pieces of the setting as DLC? You do not see an issue with using lore-essential factions as leverage to lock players in at full price as shady - especially for when said content is 90% already in the game and awaiting a pay unlock? Waiting for the price on the base game to drop does nothing to effect the DLC price - look at Sega's other major franchises that are riddled with DLC or look at previous TW games. DLC prices rarely change - even when the price points are silly.

You're defending two major businesses that can afford to put out quality games - but they rarely do. Why? Because it makes more sense to rush a product and charge for it piecemeal. Or simply saturate the market because people will buy it regardless. This is why the AAA gaming industry gets shadier every year and the list of good dev studios gets shorter.
I'd find it shady if I had to pay for it, but I don't. Day 1 DLC is one thing, free DLC with preorder is another imo. Every race is lore essential, at least most(I guess lizardmen not so much), so regardless of which would have been withheld, that was gonna happen anyway.

And I'm not defending them, I just feel that in this case, the practice isn't that bad. Yes it'd be better if everything was free, but I'll take the lesser evil any day. I don't feel it's a big deal, and definitely doesn't look like a "I'm not buying this shit ever" kind of issue to me. Different strokes and shit.

And mind you, I rarely if ever buy DLC, for like anything. That's why in this case, to me, it's fine, because the DLC is free, so I don't have to buy it, so I don't care.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Name one Total War game that released with as many playable factions. Oh You cant. This is their business model. And it works. And they make consistently quality games. This one looks like the greatest Total War game yet.

I have no problem paying 60 bucks for a great game that has 4 fully playable campaigns each one with 300+ turns and a top notch AI that makes each game turn out differently.

Whining because you aren't getting more free stuff? FFS, Email Bernie, maybe he will thrown it in his next speech.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Rome total war had 11 real ones and 9 minor ones, 20 total

fuck off nerd
Red Romans, Blue Romans and Green Romans do not count as separate factions. Then the other unlockable factions also used alot of the same units. Each unit for the 4 factions in Warhammer is totally unique to that faction. In the other total war games you would have a few different units, but the core and the mechanics of the faction were all basically the same.

Sulrn

Deuces
Red Romans, Blue Romans and Green Romans do not count as separate factions. Then the other unlockable factions also used alot of the same units. Each unit for the 4 factions in Warhammer is totally unique to that faction. In the other total war games you would have a few different units, but the core and the mechanics of the faction were all basically the same.
By your changing standards? Every Total War ever save Shogun 1/2 and Empire had more dynamic factions than Warhammer. Try harder.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
Rome 2 has more playable factions but so many of them are just copies of each-other with some slight tweaks and different skins. Every faction in warhammer will be totally unique and play differently with their own unique lords/units/spells/items and quests. Will have different campaign mechanics as well. For example just one little thing about playing Vamps is that after you fight a battle a marker will show on the campaign map and you'll be able to raise different units from the corpses. Depending on how many casualties were in the battle you'll be able to recruit elite units.

Warhammer has monstrous units (giants, trolls, arachnarok spider, crypt horrors, demigryph knights) to name a few, as well as a whole bunch of different flying units. You wont find anything as dynamic as that in any historical total war game.

I am going into this fully aware that I am going to get double raped by the Sega + Games Workshop dlc combo.... and I am completely OK with that. Bretonnia will most likely be first game paid dlc (seeing as they are in the game mostly finished already).

Game 2 predictions is Skaven, Wood Elves, Khemri, and Ogres.

Games 3 finishes with High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Chaos Daemons.
I doubt they are going to make people wait that long to play the 2 bigger elf factions and daemons/lizards on top of it, but you can bet DE/Lizardmen will be together since they share the same landmass. The way that region occupation works leads me to believe skaven/lizardmen will be in the same game since they both occupy temple cities in lustria.

With the way they have laid out their plans for dlc/free dlc they are either going to have an uneven distribution of factions per game or they will start dipping into splinter factions to even out the numbers since your list doesn't include major factions like Beastmen or sub factions like Kislev.

In any case, people going to get cucked for their favorite faction to be left till game 3 and it's going to suck.

My predictions for Game 1 DLC - Wood Elves, Bretonnia, Beastmen

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Well considering they literally deleted Athel Loren and Skaven blight from the map (they are there but you cannot go in either area) they are definitely not showing up game 1. They also stated that they aren't doing factions that don't exist in 8th edition (as playable), which tosses out mini factions like Kislev.

Also first FLC race confirmed as end of 2016, doesn't mean we won't get a second DLC race after Chaos Warriors though.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yet another game with a release/DLC scheme that rewards me for holding off and waiting for a Steam sale and/or a GOTY edition.

Well considering they literally deleted Athel Loren and Skaven blight from the map (they are there but you cannot go in either area) they are definitely not showing up game 1.
That is more indication, not less of those factions being early DLC factions as they are effectively saving their spot on the map. You can see it here at about 4:38ishTotal War: WARHAMMER - Gameplay Stream - YouTube

Game 2 they will be figuring out how to stitch the trilogy together from a technical standpoint and there's two ways any sane person would do that.

A. Either they expand the Old World map east and south to get factions like Tomb Kings and Ogres out of the way while throwing in some of the factions that are essentially everywhere like Beastmen or Skaven as filler.

OR

B. They go straight west over the water and add in High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and whoever they haven't yet.

My guess is A then B because the map geometry. Base game map is a square more or less and option A turns that into a big rectangle and B would finish it off as a huge rectangle. If they do B first the map will end up like a sideways L with a big empty space in the southeast corner which I don't think they have ever done in a TW game.
rvkPbUi.png

Of course they could just go and make me look like a fool and do an Empire TW style map where you flip through the parts of the world.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I pretty much agree with south and east for game two, then they will go with Empire style to switch between two maps for New World and Old World. I also think they are going to put Ulthuan right off of the coast of the new world to compress the map, kind of like how they smashed Brettonia down.