Total War: Warhammer

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Beastmen are generally considered a weak army (in multiplayer, you can win with anyone in the Grand Campaign), but Minotaurs, and especially the Regiment of Renown Minotaurs are some of the best units in the game. They steam roll pretty much anything you put in front of them, even many anti-large units. You need Slayers or something to deal with them efficiently. That said, this is balanced by the fact that most of the rest of their roster is pretty trash (fast but no armor, average damage). Lore of Beasts was pretty OP when it was first released but it has been nerfed a bunch. Apparently there is supposed to be a magic rebalance with the second game, no word on any specifics yet (they did finally show Lore of Metal some love in the "final" patch for Game 1, cause it was dogshit).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I made a game with Wood Elves. Did OK, figured you really need to sack settlements because you're going to get jack shit from actual revenue.

Get far enough to make a bunch of Forest Dragons, think FUCK YEA LETS DO THIS. Attack an army. Send two dragons to attack a tier 1 unit of spearmen, the dragons get pretty much wrecked and flee.

What

The

Fuck

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nabassu

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I made a game with Wood Elves. Did OK, figured you really need to sack settlements because you're going to get jack shit from actual revenue.

Get far enough to make a bunch of Forest Dragons, think FUCK YEA LETS DO THIS. Attack an army. Send two dragons to attack a tier 1 unit of spearmen, the dragons get pretty much wrecked and flee.

What

The

Fuck
I could not recreate this with one dragon, not sure what you are doing.

Spears do have anti-large, so there is that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I could not recreate this with one dragon, not sure what you are doing.

Spears do have anti-large, so there is that.

Yea but what the fuck they should have obliterated the unit. There might have been one archer unit also attacking them, not sure, but that was all that was on that side of the map.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Dragons are kind of notoriously shit in Game 1. They are being buffed in the second game, not sure about their actual stats, but they are all getting breath attacks (corresponding to what type of dragon they are). But dragons are (for reasons unbeknownst to me) very glass cannony.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dragons are kind of notoriously shit in Game 1. They are being buffed in the second game, not sure about their actual stats, but they are all getting breath attacks (corresponding to what type of dragon they are). But dragons are (for reasons unbeknownst to me) very glass cannony.

Yea I noticed that, considering a giant lasts forever when in the game you could blow their unarmored shit up with two artillery in one round kind of boggles the mind.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
at some point there was an official post stating that wood elf dragons are meant to be the hammer, not the anvil

they are very weak indeed, even after they got buffed

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Wood elf got plenty of OP retarded kiting shit doe. AI even put the moves on me a few times.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yes if you catch it on sale. You can pre-order #2 and get Norsca playable in 1 which I will mess with on the 27th as a warm-up.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I've been a long time TW player and just recently started a campaign and have really enjoyed it. I think this setting allowed CA to free themselves up from some of the shackles of historical reality to the benefit of the gameplay. The end game still is a bit repetitive but the diversity in play styles for each faction is really welcome and something that was much less pronounced in other games. I also enjoy the better use of leaders and agents in this game. Having wounded characters instead of dead ones as well as no natural death made that aspect fun for me instead of laborious or frustrating like in some past versions. Also a lot less negative traits which were endemic in some older TW games.

• 2Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>

What

The

Fuck

I'm sure they had a Night King in their ranks to fuck up your dragon.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hahahah

So I decided to say fuck it to a pretty much slow train wreck of an empire campaign and restart.

Decided to try an artillery army for sieging, right now its 5 mortars and 3 helstorm batteries holy shit lol

• 2Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hahahah

So I decided to say fuck it to a pretty much slow train wreck of an empire campaign and restart.

Decided to try an artillery army for sieging, right now its 5 mortars and 3 helstorm batteries holy shit lol
On my dwarf campaign I had a fairly strong focus on ranged units(thunderers) and artillery(2cannons, a flamethrower and a catapult or whatever). Works fine but you need very solid frontlines for the cav heavy armies and shit, and you generally have to deploy defensively around your artillery and wait out your opponent. The upside is anything not fast enough just died almost entirely before reach my melee line, and sieges were pretty fun since I could just carve a path right in the middle of a wall. Early game against shit infantry, especially zombie/skeletons garbage from the undead, mortars are stupid strong though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
rofl

Just had a 3 stack vs Archaon

Let's just say 15 siege tanks + 24 artillery pieces are really good anti-chaos...

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
the hellstorm artillery is incredibly OP in autoresolve, same with the chaos cannons

there is some issue where the calculator considers their strength based on them being able to use all their ammo afaik

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
Beastmen are generally considered a weak army (in multiplayer, you can win with anyone in the Grand Campaign), but Minotaurs, and especially the Regiment of Renown Minotaurs are some of the best units in the game. They steam roll pretty much anything you put in front of them, even many anti-large units. You need Slayers or something to deal with them efficiently. That said, this is balanced by the fact that most of the rest of their roster is pretty trash (fast but no armor, average damage). Lore of Beasts was pretty OP when it was first released but it has been nerfed a bunch. Apparently there is supposed to be a magic rebalance with the second game, no word on any specifics yet (they did finally show Lore of Metal some love in the "final" patch for Game 1, cause it was dogshit).

Eh, I don't really care about them being weak, it's more of an aesthetic thing for me, heck I played an Ogre team in the Blood Bowl tourney we had a few years ago back on Rererolled. I've heard Ogres are kinda strong now in AoS with the heavy cav they've got now but I'm old school, before all the giant mounts, when you could get a battle box for 130 and single models weren't 73 dollars! While Beastmen might suck I kinda like the wild ambush thing they've got going on and while winning is fun I like to have fun even if I lose and besides, I can totally blame my army for being weak and not my total lack of skill yo!