Total War: Warhammer

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I am pretty new to the Total War franchise and have been on and off with Warhammer 2/3. I haven't been able to click with either because I never felt I was doing very well or making positive headway. I did a portion of Teclis's campaign and was confused when I should continue the main journey or dominate territory. I did Skarbrand's story but fighting in another realm every like... 5-10 rounds was fucking obnoxious.

Wondering people's thoughts on which one I should play first and sink my teeth into understanding the game better. Should I just focus on a faction I like from Warhammer? (Greenskins or Tomb Lords) or should I learn TW3 more thoroughly since it is the likely to be the latest supported and the new "scene"?
Pick up WH1, and just play Mortal Empires (the combined 1+2 sandbox campaign - just go and conquer), until Immortal Empires (1+2+3) has its issues ironed out.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I guess you are unlucky with bugs. I have spent 90% of my time running mods in 1165 combined hours of WH 1/2 and I don't recall many bugs (there were probably some, but not frustrating enough to sear in an everlasting memory).

The only broke game I can vaguely remember is when Wulfrik was first released on the Norsca overhaul (and I think that was using 0 mods, since new patches generally break things, and I didn't want to wait).

Skarsnik is the only one I had trouble with bugs, rest were dope

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Pick up WH1, and just play Mortal Empires (the combined 1+2 sandbox campaign - just go and conquer), until Immortal Empires (1+2+3) has its issues ironed out.
So how does this work? I do have TW1. Realized I bought and never played. So I have all 3. Is mortal empires played through TW1 but pulls into the 1+2 armies?

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
The opposite. TW2 will pull in all of your TW1 factions. When IM is released for TW3 it will pull in all your factions from 1+2.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So how does this work? I do have TW1. Realized I bought and never played. So I have all 3. Is mortal empires played through TW1 but pulls into the 1+2 armies?
If you have WH 1 and 2 on Steam it should allow you to choose the Mortal Empires map when you go to start a new game in WH2.

If that's the case, then yea, Mortal Empires is probably the easiest to jump into. Just try to follow the objectives for short and long game wins.

Lizardmen, High Elves, and Dwarves(maybe? see below) are going to be the easiest races on ME. Any lord should work, but a few Legendary Lords are super strong (like Mazdamundi for caster and Tyrion for melee god).

Dwarves are well rounded and good at standing their ground, but Orks were recently overhauled. So, the Dwarf start might be a tough neighborhood these days. Also, Lizardmen and High Elves get more interesting mechanics, since they are WH2 races.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fire up TW 2, play mortal empires, have fun. #3 isn't worth playing yet.

High Elves are strongest and easiest race in many ways. Ranged and magic is best, regardless of race/faction choice. Best resource - I think - for TW info is Legend of Total War https://www.youtube.com/c/LegendofTotalWar

• 2Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Fire up TW 2, play mortal empires, have fun. #3 isn't worth playing yet.

High Elves are strongest and easiest race in many ways. Ranged and magic is best, regardless of race/faction choice. Best resource - I think - for TW info is Legend of Total War https://www.youtube.com/c/LegendofTotalWar
Hell yeah, dude. Thanks for linking that channel. Seen it come up a lot on my feed since I'm super into Age of Sigmar stuff. I never clicked this guy's channel because it was focused more on WH:Fantasy. I'll check it out.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
If you have WH 1 and 2 on Steam it should allow you to choose the Mortal Empires map when you go to start a new game in WH2.

If that's the case, then yea, Mortal Empires is probably the easiest to jump into. Just try to follow the objectives for short and long game wins.

Lizardmen, High Elves, and Dwarves(maybe? see below) are going to be the easiest races on ME. Any lord should work, but a few Legendary Lords are super strong (like Mazdamundi for caster and Tyrion for melee god).

Dwarves are well rounded and good at standing their ground, but Orks were recently overhauled. So, the Dwarf start might be a tough neighborhood these days. Also, Lizardmen and High Elves get more interesting mechanics, since they are WH2 races.
I'll probably do Tyrion then. I did play a Sword Master in Age of Reckoning and Tyrion lore wise was always kind of a bad ass bitch. Appreciate all you dudes chiming in.

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tyrion is a beast and prolly the best to start with. Lothern is a money powerhouse. I much preferred the ME campaign to the Vortex campaign.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Teclis in ME is in a terrible spot.

Try to get a confed with Caledor as quickly as you can and get the fuck out of Lustria.

Don't abandon his area outright, but it taking other provinces is a pain in the dick and not worth the frustration with the two skaven factions down there.

Muurloen

So, the headline: free skeletons are GONE. You’ll still have ways to make them (grave)dirt cheap, but not to the same extent as before

RIP

• 2Like

Muurloen

Festus in Hochland.

Azazael in the middle of Norsca.

1658924841601.png

Toddy is gonna have his hands full between Festus & Khazrak.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually enjoyed this one. Cool visuals and more insight into some mechanics.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
WTB summary/TL;DR.
Dubious reasons as to why Azazel is on WoC instead of Daemons of Slaanesh (Sigvald obviously would be the Champion of Slaanesh for this DLC if he wasn't already in the game), whole lot of roster mixing between the various WoC and Chaos God factions, the lack of confederation was more of a time crunch decision (implementation and balance issues) than "we don't want them to confederate". At the bare minimum, expect Archaon to be able to confederate the rest after a future update.

• 1Like