Transcendental Meditation

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
A Buddhist monk walks into the dentist office with a horrible toothache. The dentist takes a look and says, "That looks bad! We'll have to pull that right away!"

The monk, who is doing a good job of hiding his pain says, "I understand, go right ahead. I just have one request, don't use any anesthetic."

Shocked, the dentist exclaims, "What?! Are you mad? You've already got to be in a lot of pain... to pull it out without pain killers would be excruciating!"

The monk replies, "Yes, I know. I but I'm trying to transcend dental medication."

HAYOOOOO

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Yoda isn't real and neither is yoga. Get a grip.

Go do cardio an hour or more a day if you want to reach your inner self. You'll end up looking and feeling better too. Once your body starts to get stronger the "pain" of it melts into all the inner focus and self awareness you need. Nothing strips away all the nonsense trappings of the physical world like pushing your heart and lungs to their limits. Expand your consciousness with thought and research, and supplement that with actual fucking exercise instead of being good at sitting still and making poses.

I love how yoga is purported to be a fucking weight loss method but there's yoga instructors out there who are fat old cows. I'm guessing most of these skinny ass yoga dudes and fit yoga chicks either eat like vegetarian birds and/or hit the treadmill as often as the yoga studio.

Whatever, if you have some misguided need to believe you are participating in a higher function that is marketed to you as exotic and eastern just due to its novelty for westerners, then by all means. "Enlighten" yourself with this new age babble. Maybe you can look into reflexology too. I'm sure the magic crystals will heal you better than our evil western doctors.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
^
lol

Funny how yoga isn't real, yet I just got done doing some. I'm also in great shape, but I go to the gym for that, and I also don't try selling it as a weight loss gimmick, but please keep trying to devalue my advice my making arguments against things that I'm not claiming.

Yoga is a series of postures and stretches. If you don't think that has health benefits then I suggest you do some fucking research before you continue sounding like a dumbass.

Meditation is an act of stillness. Something I'm quite sure you're incapable of.

iannis

Musty Nester
Sorry man, once a Zap-off has been established all further argument must be supported with relevant lyric.

No one cares how much you can bench, man. Least of all Frank:

You say there ain't no use in livin'
It's all a waste of time
'n you wanna throw your life away,
well People that's just fine

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yoda isn't real and neither is yoga. Get a grip.

Go do cardio an hour or more a day if you want to reach your inner self. You'll end up looking and feeling better too. Once your body starts to get stronger the "pain" of it melts into all the inner focus and self awareness you need. Nothing strips away all the nonsense trappings of the physical world like pushing your heart and lungs to their limits. Expand your consciousness with thought and research, and supplement that with actual fucking exercise instead of being good at sitting still and making poses.
I think the the post-burn exercise feeling is what people should be after. For me time slows down and I feel calm and confident and totally in control of my shit. I don't know how you get there by just sitting or posing, or whatever.

That feeling when youjustcomplete your run and are slowing to a walk - I think that's how Batman must feel when he puts on the tights. Is just all clarity and clean and focused and powerful.

The best part is its so simple, even I can do it.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Meditation is fine. It relieves stress. Relieving stress is good.

Believing that meditation can give you super powers or cure diseases is bullshit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That feeling when youjustcomplete your run and are slowing to a walk - I think that's how Batman must feel when he puts on the tights. Is just all clarity and clean and focused and powerful.
I've never been able to exercise on a steady basis but the feeling I get when I just complete my runs is 'fuck me fuck me fuck me I'm so tired'. And then I feel like shit for the rest of the day.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the the post-burn exercise feeling is what people should be after. For me time slows down and I feel calm and confident and totally in control of my shit. I don't know how you get there by just sitting or posing, or whatever.

The best part is its so simple, even I can do it.
Yeah but ithurts, oweee mommyyyyy. And it takes a significant investment of time and dedication to get past the pain and get to the rewards. Health should feel goooodddddd maaaaannnn, you know? *takes bong hit* Namaste brah!

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
You guys are talking religion and politics and don't even realize it.

The amount of variables that exist in terms of what helps maintain one individual's health in comparison to another is fucking ridiculous to try and simplify by arguing that yoga is better than pure gym or vise versa. It's common sense that you will feel better after exercise of any kind, now what that means to you is your obligation to figure out and follow up on should you actually give a shit about your health.

Groups of people do martial arts together, play sports together, go to the gym together, and do yoga together or maybe all of it but at the end of the day the benefits you receive are for yourself - period. A group can benefit from the social aspect in many ways, sure. They all eat differently and probably have atleast one kind of medical condition or allergy or some shit no one else in their group has that might force them to alter their exercise strategy a bit. However, at the end of the day we can all agree it feels good and generally promotes health and well being at it's very essence - so why argue over the essentials of something proven time and time again?

Some people grasp meditation differently than others and prefer to add it to their routine, others don't fucking get it one bit. It's just a matter of perception and application of what stems from these perceptions. Different strokes and all that, get over it man.

At the end of the day, if nothing else, just be open minded. Call bullshit all you want and I'll 100% respect that but if you don't even try to understand a subject then there is no point in moving forward.

Drink a fuck ton of water.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
@eXarc
I tend to agree with you in regards to exercise as a means of feeling good and indeed promoting health. At the same time it is understood that meditation is no more beneficial with regards to health, mean blood pleasure being a measurable quality, than simply focusing on relaxing.

I'd add the following: Don't drink a fuck ton of water. That might kill you, osmotically. Drink a few liters a day. Not a fuck ton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I definitely didn't mean to imply drinking water like that. I actually think most people are aware of toxicity from too much water, even though you almost always only hear about dehydration. I was just throwing it out there as a reminder to drink water, especially when exercising - it was an off the wall tonal remark I dropped perhaps too casually while trying to make a serious point about physical health.

In short, Izo is absolutely right though - so let me say it differenty.
Always make sure you drink /enough/ water, every day. Check your personal life & activity and see how much you need through those weight and activity calculations they do too if possible. I'm not sure exactly how it is determined how much water an individual needs but I'm sure it's not hard to find out.

On the subject of meditation, I recommend reading a book called 'Zen and the Brain'. If you can stomach it. It's about 800 pages long written by a doctor who studied the effects of meditation on everything imaginable including near death experiences, strange spiritual beliefs as well as strictly hard nosed examinations of pure scientific chemical/physical reactions. It has been proven that PROPER meditation (and there are several forms, techniques and lengths of which to apply them) effect brain wave patterns. In terms of physical effect, guess what? We're pretty much all correct. Sometimes it wasn't beneficial, and other times it was proven to calm and regulate the person's heart rate, breathing and surprisingly increase skin resilience amonng many other things. One thing has always been true about medicine and probably always will be - every person has unique biomechanical needs to function in a healthy state and you should cater to your body's needs and what you respond positively to rather than generalizing the vast complexity of a human body's vital system.

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never been able to exercise on a steady basis but the feeling I get when I just complete my runs is 'fuck me fuck me fuck me I'm so tired'. And then I feel like shit for the rest of the day.
Ann Arbor Brewing Co. has a cure for that. A sweet nectar of the Gods, glorious cure.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Whatever, if you have some misguided need to believe you are participating in a higher function that is marketed to you as exotic and eastern just due to its novelty for westerners, then by all means. "Enlighten" yourself with this new age babble. Maybe you can look into reflexology too.
Does anyone actually think yoga is exotic or eastern anymore? Maybe in the 70's, but these days isn't it just something women in their 30's do while the kids are at school to keep a trim figure?

Meditation helps in relieving pain, increase peace and tranquility. Meditation boosts your immune system, improves fertility and prevent from depression. Meditation boost energy, develop tolerance, improves self-acceptance and confidence. Meditation eliminate anger and fear and helps you in leading healthy life.
Those are some pretty hefty claims. I'm a fan of meditation, but I don't know that it's altered my personality and it certainly hasn't relieved any physical pain.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't think they're too hefty actually, because a lot of that shit has been shown in legitimate scientific studies. I don't buy in to much new agey shit, but meditation seems pretty legit. Think of it as an applied placebo effect.

That said, I've never looked in to it personally. Maybe I should.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Even the anger/tolerance/fear type stuff?

I've looked around online for literature about the effect meditation has on chronic pain, but the impression I got is that the jury is still out.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
You guys are talking religion and politics and don't even realize it.

The amount of variables that exist in terms of what helps maintain one individual's health in comparison to another is fucking ridiculous to try and simplify by arguing that yoga is better than pure gym or vise versa. It's common sense that you will feel better after exercise of any kind, now what that means to you is your obligation to figure out and follow up on should you actually give a shit about your health.

Groups of people do martial arts together, play sports together, go to the gym together, and do yoga together or maybe all of it but at the end of the day the benefits you receive are for yourself - period. A group can benefit from the social aspect in many ways, sure. They all eat differently and probably have atleast one kind of medical condition or allergy or some shit no one else in their group has that might force them to alter their exercise strategy a bit. However, at the end of the day we can all agree it feels good and generally promotes health and well being at it's very essence - so why argue over the essentials of something proven time and time again?

Some people grasp meditation differently than others and prefer to add it to their routine, others don't fucking get it one bit. It's just a matter of perception and application of what stems from these perceptions. Different strokes and all that, get over it man.

At the end of the day, if nothing else, just be open minded. Call bullshit all you want and I'll 100% respect that but if you don't even try to understand a subject then there is no point in moving forward.

Drink a fuck ton of water.
Even the people that say there's no magic cure have to offer their own unique cure. This kills me. Drink a lot of water? How about drink the amount of water that your body asks for because it is designed to request water when it needs it.

As far as meditation curing/preventing pain, everyone can consciously alter their pain perception voluntarily. When you brace for a shot at the doctor or prepare for the jump into a freezing pool, your brain is inhibiting part of the pain signal. Now whether someone can train that mechanism and use it in the extreme, I don't know, but the mechanism itself already exists.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Nathaniel_sl said:
...Meditation boosts your immune system, improves fertility and prevent from depression. Meditation boost energy...
You're full of bullshit. I am discounting everything you say because of these points. You are a retard and should stop posting.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Even the people that say there's no magic cure have to offer their own unique cure. This kills me. Drink a lot of water? How about drink the amount of water that your body asks for because it is designed to request water when it needs it.

As far as meditation curing/preventing pain, everyone can consciously alter their pain perception voluntarily. When you brace for a shot at the doctor or prepare for the jump into a freezing pool, your brain is inhibiting part of the pain signal. Now whether someone can train that mechanism and use it in the extreme, I don't know, but the mechanism itself already exists.
You're joking right, dude? Did you not read the post directly underneath where I described exactly that AND corrected myself in a mature manner and explained why I said what I said about water?
That kills me.

Here it is again so you can see that I am not a hypocrite -

I definitely didn't mean to imply drinking water like that. I actually think most people are aware of toxicity from too much water, even though you almost always only hear about dehydration. I was just throwing it out there as a reminder to drink water, especially when exercising -it was an off the wall tonal remark I dropped perhaps too casually while trying to make a serious point about physical health.

In short, Izo is absolutely right though - so let me say it differenty.
Always make sure you drink /enough/ water, every day. Check your personal life & activity and see how much you need through those weight and activity calculations they do too if possible. I'm not sure exactly how it is determined how much water an individual needs but I'm sure it's not hard to find out.