Transcendental Meditation

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'd actually say empathogen is a more appropriate label, especially in relation to the current studies in utilizing MDMA to help with PTSD.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
The term "empathogen" was coined in 1983 by Ralph Metzner to denote chemical agents inducing feelings of empathy. "Entactogen" was coined by David E. Nichols as an alternative to "empathogen", attempting to avoid the potential for improper association of the latter with negative connotations related to the Greek root "pathos" (suffering); Nichols also thought the word was limiting, and did not cover other therapeutic uses for the drugs that go beyond instilling feelings of empathy. The word "entactogen" is derived from the roots "en" (Greek: within), "tactus" (Latin: touch) and "gen" (Greek: produce) (Nichols 1986: 308). Neither term is dominant in usage, and, despite their difference in connotation, they are essentially interchangeable, as they refer to precisely the same chemicals.
"Synonyms"

Azrayne

It's a question of connotations. Empathogen implies emotional closeness, an opening up, a removal of barriers, an understanding, where entactogen, to me at least, makes it sound like the drug experience is all about how fun it is to touch soft fluffy stuff and bone while high. Since the therapeutic use especially is all about the former, it seems a more appropriate term.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Last time I checked pubmed meditation held no significant advantage over simply relaxing. Putting transcendental before it just makes it that more silly. This thread belongs in the shaw imho.

TrainWreck1.gif
100% agree. They do similar studies for things like Yoga, trying to show they are some amazing beneficial thing, but they almost always turn out to be no better than regular exercise, etc. I just don't understand (actually I completely understand) why they have to sit there and make all these retarded claims about something that is basically good already for you. Sure, Yoga, meditation, whatever, can help you relax, and sure yoga can make you sweat, increase heart rate, and lose weight. But why make up all of this other retarded shit, like it can "elevate your consciousness" or whatever. All that does is take away from something that is otherwise decent.

Here are some blurbs from that quack TM page:

What happens when you meditate?
The Transcendental Meditation technique allows your
mind to settle inward beyond thought to experience
the source of thought - pure awareness, also
known as transcendental consciousness. This is the
most silent and peaceful level of consciousness -
your innermost Self. In this state of restful
alertness, your brain functions with significantly
greater coherence and your body gains deep rest.
Where did the TM technique come from?
The Transcendental Meditation technique is based on the ancient Vedic tradition of enlightenment in India. This knowledge has been handed down by Vedic masters from generation to generation for thousands of years. About 50 years ago, Maharishi - the representative in our age of the Vedic tradition - introduced Transcendental Meditation to the world, restoring the knowledge and experience of higher states of consciousness at this critical time for humanity. When we teach the Transcendental Meditation technique today, we maintain the same procedures used by teachers thousands of years ago for maximum effectiveness.
I mean honestly, what stupid shit.

UNRELATED: I am a huge Beatles fan, and have read about a dozen books about them and their career. The parts about Maharishi and India are always interesting. Maharishi was pushing this TM crap in the late 1960's, and George (I believe) got the rest of the Beatles interested in him. In fact, I'd bet they are partially or mostly responsible for the widespread recognition of TM. They lost interest in him when they found out he was hitting on some of the girls at his ashram, and when they realized that the whole TM thing was a big sham. For anyone who doesn't know, the song Lennon wrote "Sexy Sadie" was originally title "Maharishi" (same # of syllables), but I believe he changed it due to possibility of a lawsuit, and probably so he wouldn't give that asshole any publicity. After the Beatles left India, the Maharishi illegally used their image and name to promote himself. Haha. Enlightenment my ass!

Note:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Sadie(looks like a couple of my details were off)

TrainWreck1.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Aychamo you're just jealous that you'll never achieve the kind of pure awareness you can only get by standing in awkward positions.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know if you would consider it meditation, but relaxation exercises cured my insomnia problem in college pretty permanently. I had a ton of trouble sleeping when I first got to college and had had some issues before that as well until one day in a psych 101 class the teacher led us on a couple of meditation exercises. I nearly fell asleep in my chair so I started doing it when I went to bed every night and it didn't work instantly but after a couple weeks my sleeping problems were pretty much over and I still go to sleep very quickly without having to do the relaxation thing anymore.

I have to agree that the part where your mind settles inward beyond thought to experience the source of thought is just hippy mumbo jumbo though.

Azrayne

I actually more or less agree with aychamo. I wouldn't say meditation is 'just the same as relaxing' (no idea about yoga, but given that I've never seen a soccer mum shoot someone with laser beams out of their eyes, I'm gonna assume it doesn't give you super powers) but I do hate all the spiritual trappings and the new age BS, completely unnecessary. It's just a part of the culture it comes from I guess.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I actually had to do a lot of transcendental meditation for 8 months last year; twice a day, vegetarian diet and we even had to do 4-5 days confinment of pure meditation and asanas yoga to "transcend"

It's all bullshit.

iannis

Musty Nester
Aychamo you're just jealous that you'll never achieve the kind of pure awareness you can only get by standing in awkward positions.
I heard that if you hold "Peaceful Downward Gazing Warrior" pose for 5 minutes, the score resets.

Tai Chi, Chi Kung or Yoga will get you better results than TM in my experience. Yoga has a serious Poon factor that will help cheer you the fuck up as well. Suppress those rapey urges tho.

NSFW

Azrayne

^ There are some seriously hot videos of chicks doing yoga on youtube, with clothing sadly, but who doesn't love yoga pants? I'm sure guys who are enjoying the view make up 99% of their traffic.

I actually had to do a lot of transcendental meditation for 8 months last year; twice a day, vegetarian diet and we even had to do 4-5 days confinment of pure meditation and asanas yoga to "transcend"

It's all bullshit.
Well I don't know anything about the transcendental part, or 'pure meditation' or asanas or what the fuck ever, I just know that I look forward to the half hour I spend meditating every day and that when I do it I feel much more laid back and energetic and comfortable than when I don't. That said, it took practice to get to that point, initially it was rather boring and horribly uncomfortable, and if it was something I was being 'forced' to do as it sounds like you were, I doubt it would have any benefit because I'd just be sitting there thinking 'fuck this is stupid what a waste of time.' Like a lot of things, you get out what you put in.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Start out by doing 10 minutes each morning when you first wake up. Just sit on the edge (lol) of your bed with your eyes closed and observe your breathing. That will get you started and it's free.

Pro-tip:

Try not think about anything, but if thoughts come, let them blow away. Don't hold onto them.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
^ There are some seriously hot videos of chicks doing yoga on youtube, with clothing sadly, but who doesn't love yoga pants? I'm sure guys who are enjoying the view make up 99% of their traffic.

Well I don't know anything about the transcendental part, or 'pure meditation' or asanas or what the fuck ever, I just know that I look forward to the half hour I spend meditating every day and that when I do it I feel much more laid back and energetic and comfortable than when I don't. That said, it took practice to get to that point, initially it was rather boring and horribly uncomfortable, and if it was something I was being 'forced' to do as it sounds like you were, I doubt it would have any benefit because I'd just be sitting there thinking 'fuck this is stupid what a waste of time.' Like a lot of things, you get out what you put in.
I'm mostly talking about the "superhuman" Shit they claim to it. Google up "Yogic Flying" and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying relaxing 20 mins twice a day is bad for you or that it won't help if you're stressed out or whatever, I'm just calling bullshit on the "transcending" and "cosmic consciouness / yogic flying" crap.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
rrr_img_5052.jpg
I'm mostly talking about the "superhuman" Shit they claim to it. Google up "Yogic Flying" and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying relaxing 20 mins twice a day is bad for you or that it won't help if you're stressed out or whatever, I'm just calling bullshit on the "transcending" and "cosmic consciouness / yogic flying" crap.
There's nothing "superhuman" about this stuff. Anyone can do it. Think of it as expanding your awareness.

Right now you're probably aware of what's going on in your room. Still your body, silence your thoughts, and focus to become aware of your breathing. Focus more and become aware of your pulse. Continue this process further and see what happens. Don't be frustrated if you get interrupted by thoughts. Let them go. As you become more accustomed to the process, switching off and tuning in becomes easier and easier.

I can't speak for the "yogic flying" but the other stuff is quite real.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
huh? lol The Edge.

Dude, I know all that crap, the whole thought thing, the whole "minor jerks is stress being released" all that shit. Again, I went to freaking Maharishi Univ in Iowa. Being able to "fly" is not going to happen.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
lol at minor jerks releasing stress.

What I speak of is not done for stress relief, although I see how it could be used that way.

And like I said, I have no personal experience with "yogic flying" so I can't back any such claims.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
A while back when I wanted to learn how to meditate I came upon this site:

http://zbohy.zatma.org/Dharma/zbohy/...orld-home.html

The history and religious stuff you can skip, but it has some good meditation techniques. The hardest part for most is the emptying of the mind. It's an excellent way to figure out what drives you, though. Once you're able to see yourself clearly you can choose how to change and grow. Baggage from childhood? You can let it go or figure out what you need to do to get past it.