Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023)

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
ALSO... the airplane transformer...

other transformers get beat up and wounded and all that, and yet the next scene they are back to tip top shape. the airplane never gets hurt or wounded but is perpetually all junked out. which makes me think... was he specifically designed to be all junked out? you get starscream who's an f-22 raptor, sideswipe is a corvette stingray concept, bumblebee is several different camaro's, drift was a bugatti veyron and the airplane dude, stratosphere, is just permanently a piece of smokey, rattly junk. the god of transformers, primus, must hate that guy
Same thing with "old" Jetfire that used a cane (?). Or transformers with beards (??) or wearing capes (???). Their attempts to add personality to some of the transformers I've tried my best to ignore.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lol this sounds hilarious. Too bad I walked out of the theater on the first one because it was so bad.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lol this sounds hilarious. Too bad I walked out of the theater on the first one because it was so bad.
it's a different kind of bad, i think. michael bay's transformers were just pure spectacle with little to no edible meat, if that makes sense. there was some interesting psychology at play, though i don't think any of it was on purpose. when they transform, for example... it was very jarring to watch. lots of non-Euclidean lines and mc escher-esque angles that were specifically designed that way so that you DON'T look at it. your eyes are purposely drawn away from what's happening on the screen because the cgi during the transformation was super janky. no one had done those kinds of shots in "live action" before so the cg artists had no idea if it would work, so they made it as jarring to look at as possible so it made it that much harder to criticize.

at this point, we've seen robots turn into cars and back into robots plenty of times so there's no wow factor anymore. this movie relies MUCH more on the plot, writing and actors but that's the weakest part of the movie. the transformers in this movie (technically speaking) are leagues ahead of bay's movies... but there's hardly any spectacle to it...

listen, i didn't hate it... but i grimaced through a lot of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it's a different kind of bad, i think. michael bay's transformers were just pure spectacle with little to no edible meat, if that makes sense. there was some interesting psychology at play, though i don't think any of it was on purpose. when they transform, for example... it was very jarring to watch. lots of non-Euclidean lines and mc escher-esque angles that were specifically designed that way so that you DON'T look at it. your eyes are purposely drawn away from what's happening on the screen because the cgi during the transformation was super janky. no one had done those kinds of shots in "live action" before so the cg artists had no idea if it would work, so they made it as jarring to look at as possible so it made it that much harder to criticize.

at this point, we've seen robots turn into cars and back into robots plenty of times so there's no wow factor anymore. this movie relies MUCH more on the plot, writing and actors but that's the weakest part of the movie. the transformers in this movie (technically speaking) are leagues ahead of bay's movies... but there's hardly any spectacle to it...

listen, i didn't hate it... but i grimaced through a lot of it.
yeah, was too much shit going on in the first one. the transformer sounds was way too loud too. i was like, yeah fuck this, i'm getting a headache.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
As we continue to age we have to remember these are just long commercials to sell Hasbro's kids toys.
A 10 year old etc, watching this is not really following the acting or plot, they are watching the giant transforming robots fight. Seeing which one is coolest looking so they can beg mom or dad to buy it for them after the movie.

I tend to still watch these movies through my inner child's eye I guess.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I still watch the
As we continue to age we have to remember these are just long commercials to sell Hasbro's kids toys.

Everyone reading this is old enough to have that knowledge permanently embedded in their head via the childhood trauma of the 86 movie

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Everyone reading this is old enough to have that knowledge permanently embedded in their head via the childhood trauma of the 86 movie
The animated movie is still the best one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

The animated movie is still the best one.
i don't know, man... have you watched it recently? there's some truly bizarre things going on and it's abundantly clear that the movie exists SPECIFICALLY to sell the NEW toys. the GIJOE movie on the other hand...

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
i don't know, man... have you watched it recently? there's some truly bizarre things going on and it's abundantly clear that the movie exists SPECIFICALLY to sell the NEW toys. the GIJOE movie on the other hand...

The first 20 minutes are on a par with Empire strikes back

• 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah, here is the thing. I was done playing with toys when this came out. To me it was just a brutal Transformers movie.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
LoL that thing is supposed to be somebody's love interest?

Wasn't pre-surgery megan fox the love interest in the earlier one?

Clown world is so fucked up sometimes. Are there no attractive actresses left in hollywood or something?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
LoL that thing is supposed to be somebody's love interest?

Wasn't pre-surgery megan fox the love interest in the earlier one?

Clown world is so fucked up sometimes. Are there no attractive actresses left in hollywood or something?
there'a tons of them, but beauty is being phased out and replaced with ugly. i dont mind a movie with ugly actors, because its more realistic, but thats when there were good ugly actors, the ugly wasnt really ugly either, men were more masculine and the ugly women had grit. look at Rocky, him and Adrienne were two fucking ugly people, but it looked genuine.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
They are not a couple in the movie. They do not even know each other when they meet. By the end of the movie they are "work" friends at best. And by work I mean they worked with the Transformers to save the world, now back to our own lives.

Fucker

Log Wizard
there'a tons of them, but beauty is being phased out and replaced with ugly. i dont mind a movie with ugly actors, because its more realistic, but thats when there were good ugly actors, the ugly wasnt really ugly either, men were more masculine and the ugly women had grit. look at Rocky, him and Adrienne were two fucking ugly people, but it looked genuine.
They went from Megan Fox and Hailey Steinfeld to the Missing Link. LOL.

bigstock-LOS-ANGELES-DEC-Hailee-218827141-Hailee-Steinfeld-small.jpg

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
ALSO... the airplane transformer...

other transformers get beat up and wounded and all that, and yet the next scene they are back to tip top shape. the airplane never gets hurt or wounded but is perpetually all junked out. which makes me think... was he specifically designed to be all junked out? you get starscream who's an f-22 raptor, sideswipe is a corvette stingray concept, bumblebee is several different camaro's, drift was a bugatti veyron and the airplane dude, stratosphere, is just permanently a piece of smokey, rattly junk. the god of transformers, primus, must hate that guy

Stratosphere did look to be in better condition after the Energon wave, so we could make up multiple reasons why he was junky at first. Maybe the form he chose on earth was too big or something and it was straining him.

And I cant believe people said they liked this more than bumblebee. I would easily put it below both Bumblebee and Bayformers 1.

There were 3 things that made Bumblebee great: Lots of Bee, John Cena and Hailee Steinfeld. This movie lacked Bee, and all the humans were a big step down from the Bee humans (though I think they were better than any of the Wahlberg human casts)

j00t

Stratosphere did look to be in better condition after the Energon wave, so we could make up multiple reasons why he was junky at first. Maybe the form he chose on earth was too big or something and it was straining him.

And I cant believe people said they liked this more than bumblebee. I would easily put it below both Bumblebee and Bayformers 1.

There were 3 things that made Bumblebee great: Lots of Bee, John Cena and Hailee Steinfeld. This movie lacked Bee, and all the humans were a big step down from the Bee humans (though I think they were better than any of the Wahlberg human casts)
like i said before, wahlberg is... i mean, he's got moments and i like him alright as a person, but he's pretty low on the totem pole as far as actors go, but he's got enough charisma that you don't generally mind watching him. i really enjoyed bumblebee partially because it actually showed part of the war on cybertron and partially because hailee steinfeld. not only is she nice to look at, she's a pretty great actress. this movie though... i didn't like any of the cast and the main draw was the maximals but they hardly even did anything, you know? skyrazor and optimus primal had the most dialogue but even then it wasn't a ton. cheetor had, i think 2 short lines of dialogue, rhinox maybe had 1? no ratrap was a HUGE mistake. there were also no predacons so no waspinator, no blackarachnia, no scorponok...

the biggest problem with the bay transformers movies (honestly, it's one of the biggest problems of all of bay's movies) is that the characters are all caricatures. their identity is wrapped up in their exaggerations. obviously that's a huge fault but the characters in this movie is what you would get if you took a caricature and de-caricatured it. yuou'd end up with just a big generic nothing.

and for those of you who watched the movie and are like, "they weren't love interests! they didn't kiss or hold hands or anything!" yes, they were absolutely love interests, they just weren't overt about it. you can tell when... spoilers but who cares... after the battle in Peru or wherever they were, the dude runs up to the chick to make sure she is okay, he slowly brushes the hair out of her face and then gently caresses her cheek. it's absolutely a message to the audience that he is into her. maybe she's not into him, but he is absolutely into her. i'm not entirely sure WHY he's into her, her character can be summed up in a single sentence... but then again, i guess so can his, so maybe that's what he finds attractive about her?

• 1Picard

Xerge

<Donor>
Fuck the movie, the ending scene though..