Travelling in California

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was me, not offended by it just 4tl & wanted someone to double check the pic on Draegens board since the girl in question prolly isnt even 13 and agreed to be published (here).

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just got back from 1.5 weeks in the bay area. I had been pining to move there anyway, but now I want to live there more than ever.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend living in Oakland (an awesome part in the central area north of MacArthur,) and I really had a great time there. San Francisco is great, but honestly, I came to appreciate Oakland's sort of grit more than a lot of S.F., which admittedly I didn't explore as much but found rather touristy and inauthentic in a lot of places. I like it for what it is, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't feeling it the way I did Oakland. My friend is a lifelong bay area resident and she said it was way better pre-tech boom. It was cool having someone point out to me the best local places for breakfast / lunch / dinner...really just enjoyed the shit out of everything in Oakland. The Lake Merritt area, Piedmont, downtown, uh...probably forgetting the names of some things.

I've gotta point out, and maybe it's because I had a friend to point out all the best places...but dayum does the bay area do breakfast good. Fred's in Sausalito was probably the best.

Fred Reviews - TripAdvisor

I rented a car while she was working heavily for a couple of days, and drove up to Marin. Sausalito and a couple of other places. Drove the headlands and all that. Beautiful stuff, fun drive.

We drove up to Napa and spent the night in Yountville and did two days there. Beautiful area, naturally. We got bumped out of our room and got upgraded to a $600 a night suite. Ate at Bouchon one night.

Trying to think what else...we ate in Berkeley once or twice. She took me to a dark, sort of macabre magic show that was fun. We also went to a theater that did a kickass gory, funny show. Very talented group of people.

Shocktoberfest 15: The Bloody Debutante | Thrillpeddlers

That was my last night there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
San Francisco is great, but honestly, I came to appreciate Oakland's sort of grit more than a lot of S.F., which admittedly I didn't explore as much but found rather touristy and inauthentic in a lot of places. I like it for what it is, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't feeling it the way I did Oakland. My friend is a lifelong bay area resident and she said it was way better pre-tech boom.
You sound like a huge hipster so you will fit in great.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I take it you never went to the Mission while in SF. Motherfuckers own fixed gear bikes in that neighborhood. In SF. One of the hilliest cities in the US.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It just made me laugh because it's such a bay area thing to say that it sounds like he already lives there, and that could mean Berkeley, San Francisco, or the Berkeley-ish parts of Oakland. In his defense I'm sure he was mostly repeating what his friend said. Never fear though, the Bay Area is awesome despite the huge number of condescending hippy douches.

You can just picture Jackie's post being said by these guys:

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Bitches about San Francisco being too touristy while being a tourist himself; doesn't actually explore San Francisco; comes to forums to bitch about Oakland being better than San Francisco.

Yeah. Sure.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm definitely not that guy. I fucking hate hipsters and hippies. I'm a yuppie if anything, and I sure as fuck don't look anything like a hipster, I've posted pictures of myself in various threads before.

I'm not saying San Francisco isn't awesome, it is. I have plenty of respect for it, don't fear. I wish I could have seen more, and I want to see more of it. No, I didn't get to explore it as much as I wanted to. My friend even told me (after having already went there for the day) I went to the too touristy spots. She did recommend to check out Mission, among a couple of other places. Oakland felt more home-y to me. It's more the type of city I'm used to. Not as big, not as much shit going on.

Edit:

Here you go, pic of me while arguing with Red Pill tards from a few months back.

I'm not a hipster. I drive a German car, I own a shitload of guns, I listen to largely mainstream music, and I dress like someone out of American Psycho.

Rerolled

Frankly I find the potential for violence in Oakland more thrilling. I kinda get off on that shit. There are so many wimpy looking men in the bay area, by the way. Fucking cunts with beards all over the place, faux-masculinity wannabe lumberjacks, skinny twats.

I also applied to the Oakland police department.Decidedlynot a hipster thing to do.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So, did you get the job at the OPD? I mean, you should be pretty man enough for it.
It's a lengthy process. Not quite, and I just applied last week.

Applied for another job in San Jose (not police, relevant to my current career,) and another somewhere else.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I used to know about 10 guys who were Oakland cops. Shit they talked about at barbecues made me fairly uncomfortable.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone been to Sequoia/King's Canyon in the winter? Have family coming to visit, and I'm not sure if the roads will be closed. I don't want to end up booking a hotel outside the park and be unable to go in. I wanted my niece to see the sequoia's because I think they'd blow her mind.

If not, I'm thinking I'll try to convince them to do the PCH from Santa Barbara to SF.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Anyone been to Sequoia/King's Canyon in the winter? Have family coming to visit, and I'm not sure if the roads will be closed. I don't want to end up booking a hotel outside the park and be unable to go in. I wanted my niece to see the sequoia's because I think they'd blow her mind.

If not, I'm thinking I'll try to convince them to do the PCH from Santa Barbara to SF.
It's a crap shoot, and I wouldn't plan a winter vacation there since you just can't know if it'll be ok or not. Their website says that they do plenty of shit during the winter though, so if you really had your heart set on it I'm sure you could figure something out. It's a big place so maybe parts will be open even after a good storm.

If you were to drive up the PCH you'd only be less than an hour from the Muir Woods and that's more than good enough for your big ass tree fix.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I used to know about 10 guys who were Oakland cops. Shit they talked about at barbecues made me fairly uncomfortable.
I don't doubt that for a minute.

It's a crap shoot, and I wouldn't plan a winter vacation there since you just can't know if it'll be ok or not. Their website says that they do plenty of shit during the winter though, so if you really had your heart set on it I'm sure you could figure something out. It's a big place so maybe parts will be open even after a good storm.

If you were to drive up the PCH you'd only be less than an hour from the Muir Woods and that's more than good enough for your big ass tree fix.
Muir woods is nice. I went in for a couple of hours. I would have stayed later but it was getting late in the day. Then I got lost driving back since I couldn't get a GPS signal until I made it back to flat ground. Thankfully that area is totally awesome to get lost in. Really beautiful.

Cybsled

How the fuck can you like Oakland so much? That's the area you nervously drive through and hope you don't get murdered on your way to Alemeda ;p

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
How the fuck can you like Oakland so much? That's the area you nervously drive through and hope you don't get murdered on your way to Alemeda ;p
It's not all like that. The east and the west are bad, she drove me through the main part of them, and it wasn't even that scary in the daytime, lots of whiteys driving through.
smile.png
Definitely nowhere you'd want to be on foot, though, any time of day. There are plenty of nice parts in the central area. As someone mentioned above, "Berkeley like parts of Oakland." Whites are still the largest single racial group in Oakland. Around Lake Merritt, downtown, Piedmont, Temescal, etc., it's like being in any other normal city.

My friend has an almost million dollar house in a nice area (Diamond District)...which for someone who lives in Florida right now (me,) god DAMN that million $ doesn't buy you a lot, but that's the bay area for you I guess. The house she has where I live right now would without exaggeration be a $150k house.

As for why I like it, the nice areas quite simply feel more familiar to me. It's not that hilly, it's easy to navigate, lots of nice little cafes and bars, but it's an easy drive to S.F. or Berkeley or up to Marin. If I hadn't had someone to show me all the nice places and tell me the best restaurants to go to and so on, I might not think that way, but since I did, I see plenty of things to like about Oakland.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oakland's a very dichotomous city. Its not too big but its bad/good areas are distinctly noticeable usually separated by the freeways. I used to live near the lake and it was a very nice part of town but just go west of the 980 and you are in a pretty bad hood, one of the worst in the US actually. You definitely get spill over from the bad hoods into the nicer areas. My old roommate got assaulted while waking around the lake once.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just got back from 1.5 weeks in the bay area. I had been pining to move there anyway, but now I want to live there more than ever.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend living in Oakland (an awesome part in the central area north of MacArthur,) and I really had a great time there. San Francisco is great, but honestly, I came to appreciate Oakland's sort of grit more than a lot of S.F., which admittedly I didn't explore as much but found rather touristy and inauthentic in a lot of places. I like it for what it is, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't feeling it the way I did Oakland. My friend is a lifelong bay area resident and she said it was way better pre-tech boom. It was cool having someone point out to me the best local places for breakfast / lunch / dinner...really just enjoyed the shit out of everything in Oakland. The Lake Merritt area, Piedmont, downtown, uh...probably forgetting the names of some things.

I've gotta point out, and maybe it's because I had a friend to point out all the best places...but dayum does the bay area do breakfast good. Fred's in Sausalito was probably the best.

Fred Reviews - TripAdvisor

I rented a car while she was working heavily for a couple of days, and drove up to Marin. Sausalito and a couple of other places. Drove the headlands and all that. Beautiful stuff, fun drive.

We drove up to Napa and spent the night in Yountville and did two days there. Beautiful area, naturally. We got bumped out of our room and got upgraded to a $600 a night suite. Ate at Bouchon one night.

Trying to think what else...we ate in Berkeley once or twice. She took me to a dark, sort of macabre magic show that was fun. We also went to a theater that did a kickass gory, funny show. Very talented group of people.

Shocktoberfest 15: The Bloody Debutante | Thrillpeddlers

That was my last night there.
The Big Eat Oakland: 50 Things to Taste Before You Die | 7x7

pretty legit list